Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20644 Discussions

DE1-SoC problem with tree please HELP!!

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I’m trying to configure a qsys system with hps and vga control to see the Linux environment and create a c program that can obtain the memory mapped signal and print on the vga. 

The steps that I did are: 

-Create a golden top and qsys system 

-Create a rbf with convert file formats(no compression) 

-Download de Ubuntu from altera and prepare de sd with that image 

-Download de soc_system_board_info.xml and hps_common_board_info.xml files from https://releases.rocketboards.org/release/2014.06/gsrd/ghrd/ 

-Create a dtb in two steps: 

$ sopc2dts -i sistema.sopcinfo -b soc_system_board_info.xml -b hps_common_board_info.xml -o socfp ga.dts --bridge-removal all --clocks 

$ dtc -I dts -O dtb -o socfpga.dtb -f socfpga.dts 

There are some errors: 

$ sopc2dts -i sistema.sopcinfo -b soc_system_board_info.xml -b hps_common_board_info.xml -o socfpga.dts --bridge-remova l all --clocks 

Component alt_vip_itc_0 of class alt_vip_itc is unknown 

Component pll_0 of class altera_pll is unknown 

Component pll_6553600 of class altera_pll is unknown 

Component reset_controller_0 of class altera_reset_controller is unknown 

Component reset_controller_1 of class altera_reset_controller is unknown 

Component video_pll_0 of class altera_up_avalon_video_pll is unknown 

MasterIF sopc2dts.lib.components.Interface@76fb509a slaveIF null 

Component pll_0 of class altera_pll is unknown 

Component pll_6553600 of class altera_pll is unknown 

Component reset_controller_0 of class altera_reset_controller is unknown 

Component reset_controller_1 of class altera_reset_controller is unknown 

Component video_pll_0 of class altera_up_avalon_video_pll is unknown 

MasterIF sopc2dts.lib.components.Interface@76fb509a slaveIF null 

$ dtc -I dts -O dtb -o socfpga.dtb -f socfpga.dts 

ERROR (phandle_references): Reference to non-existent node or label "pll_0" ERROR (phandle_references): Reference to non-existent node or label "pll_0" ERROR (phandle_references): Reference to non-existent node or label "pll_0" ERROR (phandle_references): Reference to non-existent node or label "pll_0" ERROR (phandle_references): Reference to non-existent node or label "pll_0" ERROR (phandle_references): Reference to non-existent node or label "pll_0" ERROR (phandle_references): Reference to non-existent node or label "pll_0" ERROR (phandle_references): Reference to non-existent node or label "pll_0" ERROR (phandle_references): Reference to non-existent node or label "pll_0" ERROR (phandle_references): Reference to non-existent node or label "pll_0" ERROR (phandle_references): Reference to non-existent node or label "pll_0" ERROR (phandle_references): Reference to non-existent node or label "pll_0" ERROR (phandle_references): Reference to non-existent node or label "pll_0" ERROR (phandle_references): Reference to non-existent node or label "led_pio" ERROR (phandle_references): Reference to non-existent node or label "led_pio" ERROR (phandle_references): Reference to non-existent node or label "led_pio" ERROR (phandle_references): Reference to non-existent node or label "led_pio" Warning: Input tree has errors, output forced 

-Remplace the socfpga.dtb and soc_system.rbf from sd for my files. 

The MSEL is all to 000000 and I plug in the sd and the system start to kernel but has an error 

https://alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13839&stc=1  

https://alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13840&stc=1  

https://alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13841&stc=1  

https://alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13842&stc=1  

Any idea? Tanks!, 

Juan.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, for the VIP IP in the FPGA, you will need to add to the device tree manually (as far as I know, the device tree generator does not recognize the VIP IP). To obtain the VIP device tree declaration, you can use the device tree file that is included in the DE1-SoC MTL2 package.  

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&categoryno=204&no=930&partno=4 

I've attached the relevant dtsi file here - you can modify or merge with your own dts file
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank!.. but I have a VIP declaration in device tree 

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello, for the VIP IP in the FPGA, you will need to add to the device tree manually (as far as I know, the device tree generator does not recognize the VIP IP). To obtain the VIP device tree declaration, you can use the device tree file that is included in the DE1-SoC MTL2 package.  

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&categoryno=204&no=930&partno=4 

I've attached the relevant dtsi file here - you can modify or merge with your own dts file 

--- Quote End ---  

alt_vip_vfr_0: vip@0x100000000 { compatible = "ALTR,vip-frame-reader-14.0", "ALTR,vip-frame-reader-9.1"; reg = <0x00000001 0x00000000 0x00000080>; clocks = <&video_pll_0 &pll_0>; clock-names = "clock_reset", "clock_master"; max-width = <1024>; /* MAX_IMAGE_WIDTH type NUMBER */ max-height = <768>; /* MAX_IMAGE_HEIGHT type NUMBER */ bits-per-color = <8>; /* BITS_PER_PIXEL_PER_COLOR_PLANE type NUMBER */ colors-per-beat = <4>; /* NUMBER_OF_CHANNELS_IN_PARALLEL type NUMBER */ beats-per-pixel = <1>; /* NUMBER_OF_CHANNELS_IN_SEQUENCE type NUMBER */ mem-word-width = <128>; /* MEM_PORT_WIDTH type NUMBER */ }; //end vip@0x100000000 (alt_vip_vfr_0) }; //end bridge@0xff200000 (hps_0_bridges)  

I'm not worried for the error messages because som of them not have a connection with the hps. There are something wrong in other part of the code.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I add a *dtb file in txt format generated by the commandsopc2dts -i sistema.sopcinfo -b soc_system_board_info.xml -b hps_common_board_info.xml -o socfpga.dts --bridge-remova l all --clocks. You can check that is there a VIP declaration.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I'm worried about this. Do I have to recompile linux? Is this mandatory? 

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I think the situation is this: 

When you created an IP component in qsys his definition is in your_qsys.sopcinfo but not is in soc_system_board_info.xml and hps_common_board_info.xml so the sopc2dts command can't create a component and the device tree is uncomplete.  

Is this true? editting the xml files mut solve the problem.
0 Kudos