Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

EPCQ replacing EPCS128

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I use a Arria V with an EPCS128. When I replaced it with an (Altera) EPCQ128A, it programs/verifies fine (.jic using 13.1 programmer) but the Arria won't start (flash won't load?) when I power-cycle. I was hoping to find a drop-in replacement that would not require a change to the code. AN-822 seems to imply that no change should be needed. Would another-version stand-alone programmer help? Thanks.

3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Hope your old .sof file is loading. 

What is the status of CONF_DONE? 

1. Have you followed IP Core Regeneration Guideline and Programming File Regeneration Guideline from an822? 

2. Have you tried the new program? To check if Flash loads after a power cycle. 

If not working monitor the nSTATUS and CONF_DONE. 

if it is low, it may be a power issue. 

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Anand, 

Thank you for your reply. Before I begin following the steps, I just wanted you to know I have been following tomatoma on a very similar issue. In a May18 3:10pm post, he was able to make his board functional by adding capacitance to the data lines. And he mentioned a roadblock with .pof vs. .sof vs. jic when following an822. I'll keep you posted.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am using Cyclone V with EPCQ128A and had to recompile with QuartusII 18.0 after selecting EPCQ128A as configuration device. Now it works.