Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

EPCS Discontinuation, looking for replacement.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have been using EPCS flash device in my design, since Altera is discontinuing it, I was looking for replacements, I found EPCQ devices to be a good match but they are not in stock on any suppliers like Digikey/Mouser and also on Altera's website, buyaltera.com. The part that I am looking for is EPCQ4ASI8N (I am actually looking for a part which is pin-pin compatible with EPCS4SI8N). 

I tried looking for any non-altera parts which would be pin-pin compatible and found some like MX25R4035F, but they seem to have subtle variations in the protocol, moreover, I don't know if they will work with Altera's FPGA (for configuration of FPGA). I am using an Altera Cyclone 3 FPGA(EP3C10E144I7). 

1. Is there a way that I can get a couple of samples of EPCQ devices(EPCQ4ASI8N specifically), the lead time is 14 weeks? 

2. Are there any non-altera alternatives that I can use? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I recently compiled a list of EPCS16 compatible serial flash ICs (pin compatible, SO8 package, same legacy ID) available at Digikey: 

Fremont FT25H16S-RT 

ISSI IS25LP016D-JNLE 

Adesto AT25SF161-SSHD-T 

There should be similar 4Mbit chips.  

I see that FT25H04S-RT apparently lacks the legacy ID (retrieved by command 0xab), so you would need to disable the ID check in Quartus programming file conversion. 

ISSI IS25LQ040B-JNLE respectively IS25LQ010B-JNLE have the legacy ID and should work as full EPCS4 and EPCS1 replacement. 

I used Micron (formerly ST) M25Pxx flash up to now, but they are discontinued, too. Didn't yet check the new devices myself.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I recently compiled a list of EPCS16 compatible serial flash ICs (pin compatible, SO8 package, same legacy ID) available at Digikey: 

Fremont FT25H16S-RT 

ISSI IS25LP016D-JNLE 

Adesto AT25SF161-SSHD-T 

I see that FT25H04S-RT apparently lacks the legacy ID (retrieved by command 0xab), so you would need to disable the ID check in Quartus programming file conversion. 

ISSI IS25LQ040B-JNLE respectively IS25LQ010B-JNLE have the legacy ID and should work as full EPCS4 and EPCS1 replacement. 

I used Micron (formerly ST) M25Pxx flash up to now, but they are discontinued, too. Didn't yet check the new devices myself. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks FvM, 

from your comment, IS25LQ040B seems to be the best fit, I was also looking at SST25VF020B, seems to be a good fit. I was looking to see if anyone tried a non-Altera flash memory chip for configuration, I guess I will have to prototype them and see for myself if they work. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There's also Winbond W25X40CLSNIG, Macronix MX25L4006EM1I-12G and Microchip SST25VF040B-50-4I-SAF.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

There's also Winbond W25X40CLSNIG, Macronix MX25L4006EM1I-12G and Microchip SST25VF040B-50-4I-SAF. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi FvM, 

We have been using Micron parts as a 3rd party vendor for FPGA configuration. We have not been able to find other vendors that sell flash that work as configuration parts. One of the problem seems to be supporting the following commands:  

https://community.cypress.com/thread/11601 

4BYTEADDREN – B7 Command) and exit (4BYTEADDREX – E9 Command 

Was curious if you have used any of the parts you listed as a configuration device yet. 

Thanks for your help. 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you want to try to get some sample of EPCQ4ASI8N from the following link: 

https://www.samplecomponents.com/scripts/samplecenter.dll?altera
0 Kudos
Ravalika
Beginner

Hi,

May i please know whether the PN 'EPCQ4ASI8N' is still Active and RoHS compliance status.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Fremont FT25H16S-RT 

ISSI IS25LP016D-JNLE 

Adesto AT25SF161-SSHD-T 

--- Quote End ---  

I can confirm ISSI IS25LQ040B-JNLE 

works perfectly as replacement for M25P04 

I can program it with version quartus 12.1 SP1 and 17.1 prime without any problem. No 'disable EPCS ID check' or anything else need to be configured. 

It is recongized as a standard EPCQ4 flash. device ID=0x12  

It's a much cheaper solution.
0 Kudos