Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

EPM7032S programming problem

PWalk14
Beginner

Quartus II 64bit Version 13.0.1 Build 232 06/12/2013 SJ Web edition (SP1 installed)
programming EPM7032SLC44-10 with USB-Blaster
(JTAG connections from IDC header to IC seem intact)
(Pull-up 10k on TMS to Vcc)

File: output_files/KbdHS.pof
Device: EPM7032SL44
Checksum: 000642C8
Usercode: 0000FFFF

Working through (Devices with white printing):
Blank check - successful
Program/configure - successful
Verify - unsuccessful
Blank check - successful

It seems as if actually programming was not successful as the device is still blank.
The Erase function is not available to select.

I have devices with different top marking:
2off with white printing (results as above)
5off with etched marking (program -fail, blank check -fail)

Autodetect: (White printed top seems to work)
Autodetect: unable to scan device chain .... (Etched top)

I can program and verify EPM240T100C4 and EPM7128SLC84 with the same USB-blaster interface.
(Both of these devices have etched markings)

I'm using these 5V parts as the rest of this system is 5V and in/out conversion would take several extra devices.

Is the problem likely to be with the software, hardware or devices?

(Could both lots be fakes or just  ISP blocked)

Why is 'Erase' unavailable?

(I did try with external power to the PCB with the same result)

There is not much feedback about actually what has failed from the software.

Hope someone can help

Phil

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

As a replacement for the EPM7032S/7096S/7128S there is the current series ATF15xx from Atmel/Microchip.

They are drop in functionally compatible, and can use the same .POF file you generate for the Altera part via a translator program (POF2JED).

You need a new USB JTAG programmer from Atmel to program the parts with their JEDEC (text based) files.

But other than that overhead, I have successfully converted an number of legacy EPM7032S/7064S parts in PLCC44 from the existing Altera .POF files. YMMV of course.

So if you really need something like the EPM7nnnS series parts with 5.0V/3.3V compatibility I find the ATF15xx series very useful.

Mouser, DigiKey, etc stock these parts off the shelf.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

I use that exact same QuartusII web version  to program EPM7064SLC44-10 devices.

I use a TerAsic Blaster which is a clone of the Altera USB Blaster.

I can blank check, program, verify, security fuse enable/disable with 100% success.

Erase and examine are not implemented in this Quartus version for this series of parts.

My understanding is MaxPlus2 version 9.0 was the last release that supported Examine/Erase for the EPM7K series.

Verify works (read device) but Examine is not implemented. Explain that one to me, Altera/Intel. But I digress.

My EPM7064 devices have white silkscreen topside marking and they were purchased thru an authorized Altera distributor as new (long ago).

So you don't mention how you acquired your devices that won't program. Authorized distributor? Ebay? Random web seller in China?

Here is a screen shot of my programming screen ...

0 Kudos
PWalk14
Beginner

Many thanks for the reply.

My devices with the white printing were purchase a while ago - not from Ebay but I've long since lost the paperwork.

These were the ones which were at least recognised.

The rest which were bought recently from 'lucas89-8' on Ebay are the ones which do not work at all!

These have the marking etched into the top so may well be fake (why bother?).

Most retailers now seem to list these (genuine) devices as obsolete and unavailable.

This is a shame for projects which need a small amount of interfacing at 5V - already had a problem with some Atmel devices requiring a £1k programmer.

It would be nice if 3.3V devices were at least 5V tolerant without extra components - EPM3032 probably OK but needs 3.3V supply .

Looks like I'll have to go that way.

Thanks

Phil

0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

As a replacement for the EPM7032S/7096S/7128S there is the current series ATF15xx from Atmel/Microchip.

They are drop in functionally compatible, and can use the same .POF file you generate for the Altera part via a translator program (POF2JED).

You need a new USB JTAG programmer from Atmel to program the parts with their JEDEC (text based) files.

But other than that overhead, I have successfully converted an number of legacy EPM7032S/7064S parts in PLCC44 from the existing Altera .POF files. YMMV of course.

So if you really need something like the EPM7nnnS series parts with 5.0V/3.3V compatibility I find the ATF15xx series very useful.

Mouser, DigiKey, etc stock these parts off the shelf.

0 Kudos
PWalk14
Beginner

Looks like I will have to go the Atmel route. Not as convenient in some ways for just a small amount of glue logic but may be able to stick some of the other functions in to use the space. I had come to the Altera/intel direction after finding I was unable to program ATF750s at a reasonable cost - 22V10 would not quite do the job. I think I must assume that my EPM7032s are fake or locked - not usable.

I will try the ATF1504 (I have some recovered devices) which may give me a 2 chip (+3V reg) solution. Discrete logic needed 5 or 6 but all 5V and through-hole, this solution will be all SM so more difficult to breadboard. (EPM7032 was also 2 chip solution but without Vreg)

Thanks for your interest

Phil

0 Kudos
PWalk14
Beginner

Sorry I was thinking about the EPM3032 route needing the 3.3V reg. I don't think the ATF1504 needs it but will check.

Phil

0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

There are two versions of each Atmel part, an ATF150xAS series, which has 5V Vcc and 3.3V or 5V Vccio capability, just like EPM7xxxS.
Or the ATF150xASV series, which has 3.3V Vcc/Vccio operation, like the EPM3xxx series.

0 Kudos