cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hans86
Novice

How to program an ALTPLL_RECONFIG core?

Hi All,

I using the ALTPLL_RECONFIG core on a CycloneIV and it seems to work fine except that I can't seem to duplicate the initial state mif file settings.

When I simulate the core I get clk0=100MHz and clk1=400KHz, I then reconfigure the core using the initial state mif file setting and I get the correct clk0=100MHz but clk1=1.2MHz which is 3 times as high. The core reports:

#  clk0 :    C0 :  high = 3 (3) ,  low = 3 (2) ,  mode =  even (  odd) ,  phase tap = 0 (0)

#  clk1 :    C1 :  high = 250 (625) ,  low = 250 (625) ,  mode =  even ( even) ,  phase tap = 0 (0)

# unused :    C2 :  high = 256 (5) ,  low = 256 (5) ,  mode =  even ( even) ,  phase tap = 0 (0)

# unused :    C3 :  high = 256 (5) ,  low = 256 (5) ,  mode =  even ( even) ,  phase tap = 0 (0)

# unused :    C4 :  high = 256 (5) ,  low = 256 (5) ,  mode =  even ( even) ,  phase tap = 0 (0)

#    Charge Pump Current (bit setting) = 0 ( 0 )

#    Loop Filter Capacitor (bit setting) = 0 ( 0 )

#    Loop Filter Resistor (bit setting) = 27 ( 0 )

#    VCO_Post_Scale = 2 ( 2 )

What is confusing to me is the previous C1 value (in brackets) should be 625, how do I program 625 when the clk1 counter is only 8 bits? The initial mif file indicates a value of 250 which I used, so I must have missed a settings?

Here is part of the mif file:

-- MIF file representing initial state of PLL Scan Chain

--   Device Family: Cyclone IV E

72  :  0; -- clk1 counter: Bypass = 0 (1 bit(s))

73  :  1; -- clk1 counter: High Count = 250 (8 bit(s))

74  :  1;

75  :  1;

76  :  1;

77  :  1;

78  :  0;

79  :  1;

80  :  0;

Thanks,

Hans.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Hans,

Check if .mif file is included in your Altera PLL Reconfig IP. Enable the mif streaming and give mif path.

Regards

Anand

hans86
Novice

Hi Anand,

Thanks for replying, I checked the mif file and it is definitely being read by the ALTPLL_RECONFIG core.

However, given that the (ALTPLL generated) mif file is loaded into the ALTPLL_RECONFIG core a single reconfig pulse should not change the clk0/cl1 values right? Unfortunately this is not the case, both clock signals change to different values.

I then used the read_param signal to read back the cached values after reset and all I get back is zeros for the N/M/clk0/clk1 counters. This is strange as I can see the mif values being loaded into an altsyncram4 block during simulation. If I use the read_param signal after I programmed the ALTPLL_CONFIG myself I get all the right values (the ones I programmed in) so the read back is working.

So my findings are that:

1) The ALTPLL generate mif file loaded into the ALTPLL_RECONFIG core does not give the same results as using the Quartus generated ALTPLL values.

2) You cannot read back the ALTPLL_RECONFIG cached values until you have programmed the core.

I am sure the first one is incorrect as CycloneIV is not new and many customers must have used the ALTPLL_RECONFIG core successfully but I can't make it work, any clue as to what is going on?

Thanks,

Hans.

AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

​Hi,

the (ALTPLL generated) mif file is loaded into the ALTPLL_RECONFIG core a single reconfig pulse should not change the clk0/cl1 values right? Unfortunately this is not the case, both clock signals change to different values.

>>Single pulse is enough to trigger the reconfiguration but clk0 and clk1 values will change after busy signal deassert.

1) The ALTPLL generate mif file loaded into the ALTPLL_RECONFIG core does not give the same results as using the Quartus generated ALTPLL values.

>>Do you mean mega-wizard generated mif is file is not working and Qsys generated mif file is working??

2) You cannot read back the ALTPLL_RECONFIG cached values until you have programmed the core.

>>Yes, You are correct.

Regards

Anand

hans86
Novice

Hi Anand,

Thanks for the follow up, I found the answer to my point 1, as described in the CycloneIV Device Handbook from 2016 it states:

Post-scale counter cascading is automatically set by the Quartus II software in the configuration file. Post-scale counter cascading cannot be performed using the PLL reconfiguration.

I was using the ALTPLL (Phase-Locked Loop) IP Core User Guide and the Phase-Locked Loop Reconfiguration (ALTPLL_RECONFIG) IP Core User Guide both from 2017 neither mention this fact. It explains the C1 value of 625 which a user can't get to with an 8 bits register.

So the conclusion is that the values defined during Quartus IP configuration cannot all be reproduced using the ALTPLL_RECONFIG or with the mif file.

I think a warning during the ALTPLL configurations (when users click the dynamic configuration option and uses a too low frequency) would be very helpful.

Thanks for replying you did give me a good hint to investigate the mif file,

Thanks,

Hans.

AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Hans,

Thanks for sharing the information which will help the community.

Regards

Anand