Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

If an RPD file contains only configuration data, why does Quartus generate differing RPD files for EPCQ and EPCQA devices? Shouldn't they be identical?

MSchu8
Novice

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Vicky1
Employee
Hi Mark, The reason is dummy clock, Actually dummy clock is configurable in EPCQ devices but it`s fixed in EPCQ-A devices so the files generated by Quartus such as .pof, .jic, .rpd are different for EPCQ & EPCQ-A devices. Refer the page 4.of AN822, https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/an/an822.pdf Let me know if this has helped to resolve your issue. Regards, Vikas
0 Kudos
MSchu8
Novice

Hi Vikas,

Thanks for the quick response. This gives me some things to try.

But maybe you can help a bit - my design is initially configured using the Altera Blaster. The technician loads the correct JIC file based on which device (EPCQ128 or EPCQ128A) is on board. All is good.

But, for remote field update, I was hoping to have an RPD (or other type) of file that would work for either of the 2 config ROM types.

Can I just create the RPD using the variation that has the most dummy clocks and expect it to work for both?

Thanks and regards.

Mark

0 Kudos
Vicky1
Employee
Hi Mark, you can use same .pof/.jic/.rpd/.jam/.jbc of EPCQ with EPCQ-A if you enable the 'Disable EPCS/EPCQ ID' check option. Refer the "1.2.3.2 Programming File Regeneration Guideline" for more details. Refer the Note & Table of "Table 3. Programming File Compatibility Guide" of AN822, https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/an/an822.pdf Let me know if this has helped to resolve your issue. Regards, Vikas
0 Kudos
MSchu8
Novice

Hi Vikas,

I have tried your suggestion and unfortunately, it does not work. Here is my test:

1. Create a JIC file for EPCS128.
  2. Create a JIC file for EPCQ128.
  3. Create a JIC file for EPCQ128A.

Next:

1. Program an EPCQ128A part using each of the three files above - result: 1 and 3 worked.
  2. Program an EPCQ128 part using each of the three files above - result: only #2 worked.

A file comparison shows that the resulting JIC files for the EPCS128 and the EPCQ128A are identical; the EPCQ128 file is different.

Yet, AN-822 says that with ID Check off, I can migrate from EPCS to EPCQ. I have not found this to be true.

Further, AN-822 says I can migrate from EPCQ to EPCQ-A. I have also found this to be not true.

Can you clarify the contents of AN-822 for the above test cases?

Thank and regards.

Mark

Vicky1
Employee

Hi Mark,

• "Program an EPCQ128A part using each of the three files above - result: 1 and 3 worked."
  • "Program an EPCQ128 part using each of the three files above - result: only #2 worked."

If you refer my first post i.e. "Operation Commands " from page 4. here we can see that,  in EPCQ-A devices, the dummy clock is fixed at 8 and 6 for fast read and extended quad input fast read respectively. Therefore you must regenerate the programming files, such as .pof, .jic, and .rpd. so JIC file created for EPCQ128 may not be valid but in case of EPCS devices the dummy clock is fixed at 8 for fast read, therefore you do not have to regenerate the programming files if all other conditions are met. Table 3 on page 6 defines the need to regenerate the programming files.

Could you please provide bit more information like,

1. Quartus Edition/Version used
  2. Kit used

Let me know if this has helped to resolve your issue.

Regards,

Vikas

0 Kudos
MSchu8
Novice

Hi Vikas,

Thanks for your help on this.

I agree that the text on page 4 points out the issue. But if you look at tables 1,2 and 3, they seem to paint a much rosier picture.

I also see some notes below table 3 which do not appear on my copy of AN-822. Is there a way to get notification when an app note is corrected or updated?

Nonetheless, this is now my issue to try and clean up.

Thanks again for your help with this issue.

Now, on to the next issue: EPCQ256

This part went on End of Life in the spring of 2018.

At the time, I was told that Altera would provide a solution by September of 2018.

So far, I have not heard of any such solution.

Do you have any advice?

As far as further information, I typically use Quartus V17.1, but have also tried all of my tests with V16 and V18.

For Kit Used, there is no kit; I have an installed customer base of about 200 units currently. All testing has been performed on our PCB.

Thanks and regards.

Mark

0 Kudos
Vicky1
Employee
Hi Mark, For updated application notes you have to visit to the link below, No other way to get notification. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/lit-an.html Regarding second issue,I request to you, please open new thread for immediate & better support. Thanks & Regards, Vikas
0 Kudos