Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

Increase DDR RAM of FPGA

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello all, 

I got a strange question. Excuse me if it is a silly question. 

Altera SoC FPGA boards which are fitted with ARM processors have small size DDR3 memories. We can increase the RAM size of computers by connecting more RAM cards. In the same way can we extend the RAM of these FPGA boards (for example Arria V SoC board, Cyclone V SoC Board)? There are connectors like PCI, FMC, etc. By using these connectors can we expand RAM so that when a Linux distribution is running on the ARM processors, they can be facilitated with higher RAMs? If there are any such expansion cards plesae provide the details or links. 

Thank you all in advance. 

Regards
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The Arria 10 dev kit does have a "Hi/Lo" expansion feature to swap in different types of memory (like hybrid memory cube), but most dev kits I've seen do not have DIMM slots for memory expansion. Terasic could have something like this, but I've never seen it. Check their web site.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for the reply. 

Could you please give some details about Hi/Lo expansion? Is it an external connection or it is added as a feature while creating the system in software tools? 

Are there any SoC FPGA boards provided with So-DIMM or DIMM slots? 

Thank you.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi! 

For Arria 10 dev kits, can I replace the default 2GB DDR memory with a larger one, say 4GB, 8GB?
0 Kudos