Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20957 Discussions

MAX 10 automotive

F_P_G_A
Beginner

Hello community,

I have been trying to order 10M04 or 10M08 parts since 1 year but as we all know they are just unavailable. I can use in my design either the 10M04DCF256A7G or the 10M08DCF256A7G since they are pin compatible. Automotive parts are designed to be used within the temperature range of -40°C to 125°C.

In my design the maximum Tj is somewhere between 105°C and 110°C.

My question is: Is it ok to use an industrial grade FPGA instead of an automotive? I consider using the following parts: 10M04DCF256I7G or 10M04DCF256I7G?

Do you think Intel would make an exception for this device and let a customer use it at Tj_max = 105°C or 110°C? Does anyone know for which Tj_max the industrial grade FPGAs are qualified? I think it must be an issue of FIT rates or something like this.

P.S.: I would be using 4000-6000 devices per month.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hi,

If I understand this correctly, you are asking for the delta fallouts between I and A grade. Unfortunately, we did not have this data.

Regards,

Aqid

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out Intel FPGA Community.

I will check this first with the internal resources and get back to you with the answers as soon as I can. Thank you for understanding.

Regards,

Aqid

AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hi,

For your information, this is primarily an applications related question to determine suitability.

On other similar requests, FAEs primarily handled those to address if I grade can be used in lieu of the A grade based on the customer’s application.

On the quality/reliability side, we can provided some inputs to assist you in risk assessment.

• From a reliability qualification standpoint, MAX 10 passed high temp operating life test at 125C (the absolute max Tj rating).

• However, in 100% production testing, I grade is tested to 100C only vs A grade tested to 125C (as per operating junction temperature guaranteed for each of these temp grades). This means, I grade parts are not guaranteed 100% to meet spec performance above 100C.

You will have to bridge the 25C temp gap between the I and A grade in your own testing. I hope this information helps.

Regards,

Aqid

0 Kudos
F_P_G_A
Beginner

Hi Aqid,

many thanks for your answer!

As much as I know the I grade and A grade FPGAs are the same. The A grade ones undergo an A grade end of line test after having seend the I grade test. What would help me a lot is to know the yield during A grade testing. Using this value I could quantify what to expect for my product on the field. Do you think it's possible to get this information for my company? I'm sure you wouldn't publish it on the internet but I thought Intel might want to help a customers who is not able to get A grade FPGAs bec. they are just not available.

Maybe one more question: Intel supports for some devices an Extended Temperature range. For example for MAX II. The page below has saved us lots of trouble in terms of penalty payment:

https://www.intel.de/content/www/de/de/products/programmable/temperature.html

How likely is that Intel adds also MAX 10 to the list of devices with the Extended Temperature Support? I thought that Intel might have a very good degree of confidence regarding the qualification from MAX 10 and it is possible after so many years of field experience.

Kind regards,

F_P_G_A

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hi,

If I understand this correctly, you are asking for the delta fallouts between I and A grade. Unfortunately, we did not have this data.

Regards,

Aqid

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

As the answer have been provided, please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

0 Kudos