Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20868 Discussions

Migrate Cyclone to new device

DrewS
Novice

Need to pick a replacement for Altera Cyclone EP1C6T144. I have to use Quartus to reuse my code. What new available device can I use that will allow me to port my code from Quartus.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Farabi
Employee

Hello,

Regarding the device recommendation, you may want to browse the device list here : https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/details/fpga.html

Cyclone legacy equivalent product is MAX10 or Cyclone V FPGAs.

regards,

Farabi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

If your design is using HDL code (Verilog, VHDL, or SystemVerilog), it doesn't matter what device you go to because it would work with all of them.  You just have to create a new Quartus project, add the code and compile, setting up new assignments (like I/O pins) and timing constraints.

0 Kudos
DrewS
Novice

Thanks for the reply. The code is not text based it is graphical with blocks and wires connecting elements. So, I should be able to do the same with the graphical code just change the device to the new device I migrate to and then compile. Should work right?

0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

Hello,

You can reload the design using updated Quartus version. Re-assign the device to the desired device part number, then compile. There might be some warning or error along the way for the Quartus software to compile and adapt from the older device, especially if you have older IP used in previous design. You will need to update the IP then the compilation will be successful. Final step, re-assign the IO pins following your pin assignment on the board design. Then recompile again for the new pin assignment take effect. If everything goes well, the design migration is 90% completed. You may want to proceed for timing analysis using Quartus tool TimeQuest Timing Analyzer.

regards,

Farabi

0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

Hello,

Regarding the device recommendation, you may want to browse the device list here : https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/details/fpga.html

Cyclone legacy equivalent product is MAX10 or Cyclone V FPGAs.

regards,

Farabi

0 Kudos
DrewS
Novice

Farabi,

Thanks for your comments. The MAX 10 part number 10M08DAE144 looks like a good fit for my application and the included A-D converter is a plus. Problem now is availability I don't see any of these in stock. I have asked Intel to give a delivery date but have not heard back yet.

I will close this thread now because I did pick a device. Just hope I can get them.

Drew

0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

Hi Drew,

I am glad we can answer your questions. If there is no further question, please allow me to close this case.

best regards,

Farabi

0 Kudos