Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20690 Discussions

NIOS II QSPI boot for Cyclone 10 GX

WvanH1
Beginner

We are using the Cyclone 10CX220Y device with a Nios II CPU in our design, and want to boot it from QSPI (device MT25QU512).

So far, we are able to only start the .sof file from QSPI at power on, and not able to boot the Nios from QSPI.

We have followed chapter 5. Nios II Configuration and Booting Solutions from the Embedded Design Handbook (2018.11.12). Specifically, 5.2.4.3, QSPI boot using Boot Copier.

Our .sof file is ~9.2MB. We want to put the .sof file to offset 0x0, and the .hex file for the Nios to offset 0x00A0.0000 (10MB).

In our Quartus design (version 18.1) , we set the Nios Reset vector to 0x00A0.0000.

Reset vector memory is set to config_flash, our targeted QSPI device.

In the BSP editor, we uncheck all the Advanced.hal.linker boxes as the manual describes. Also, we set all linker sections to onchip_ram.

We then generate our BSP, and use the mem_init_generate make target to generate the .hex file.

Then we create a .jic file with the following content:

File/Data area Properties Start address

Flash Loader 10CX220Y

Boot info 0x00000000

SOF data Page_0 <auto>

Hex data absolute address 0x00A0.0000

Two differences we have here with the manual are:

1. For us the ‘Boot info’ section shows up at offset 0x0, I do not see this in the manual
  2. Therefore, we are not able to select start address 0x0 for our SOF data, and instead select the <auto> option.

If we select 0x0 for SOF start address like the manual describes, we run into a Quartus error, saying this overlaps with the option bits from 0x0 to 0x1F.

Since the manual describes the QSPI boot only for MAX 10 devices, and refers to EPCQ programming for other devices, our own design flow differs from the screenshots.

After programming the generated .jic file to flash, after a power cycle we can see the .sof file has loaded and is running, but the Nios has not started.

Could you please comment on our procedure?

Could you advise what steps we should take to debug this problem?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

Actually you are facing many issues, Let's answer one by one

First please share with me the linker script settings you've edit and check the following KDB which will show you how to solve the overlap error.

https://www.intel.com/content/altera-www/global/en_us/index/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd09282011_907.html

Regards,

0 Kudos
WvanH1
Beginner

Below I have added a capture of our linker adjustments in the BSP editor. The device we want to boot the .sof/.hex combination from is called 'config_flash'. Please note there is another device called 'boot_spi', but this component is used to boot a different subsystem so please do not get confused by the name. Is there any additional (generated) data you need as input? p.s. I did not know about the KDB article you mentioned, I will check what these changes do to our system.

settings-advanced-hal-linker.pnglinker-script-settings.png

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

This is incorrect:

What I understand that you need to program the QSPI flash with the SOF and HEX so you will boot the NIOS from there (you can copy the code or execute in place "XIP"). I have a CV soc Kit and created an example to show you how to set the BSP and how to program the QSPI flash via jic file "JTAG Indirect Configuration"

The example is an execute in place "XIP".

Please check the attachment and let me know:

Regards,

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Here is the design I've created on CV SoC Kit

Later I will share with you the steps required to program a flash using jic file

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Here are the jic steps

0 Kudos
WvanH1
Beginner

Today I have managed to boot the Nios using the Boot Copier method as originally intended.

In the end the only adjustment made to my original setup is that we changed the exception vector memory from ocram to ddr.

I'm not sure why this change was required in order for my system to boot, but for now the situation is workable.

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

This is great to hear that every thing is running fine.

0 Kudos