Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20642 Discussions

Quartus and make get stuck adding the Agilex HPS IP

LIacob
Novice

Hi,

I am having a problem with the hps ip for agilex devices (intel_agilex_hps).
I tried to instantiate it using the the platform designer GUI and tcl script, but the result is the same: Quartus is hanging forever.
I tried to follow the building flow presented here: https://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/BuildingBootloader#Agilex_45_Boot_from_SD_Card.
But the same problem is present:  "make generate_from_tcl" command stops at "2022.10.03.13:50:29 Info: add_component agilex_hps ip/qsys_top/agilex_hps.ip intel_agilex_hps" and hangs there forever.
The problem only reproduces on quartus 22.1, and only with the agilex HPS ip.
Other families like stratix 10 or arria 10 work fine with any quartus version, including 22.1, so I don't think it is a license problem.
Also, the issue does not reproduce in older versions of quartus (21.2 or 21.4).

Do you have any clues about what could cause this problem?

Regards,
Liviu.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Are you using Linux environment on both?

0 Kudos
LIacob
Novice

Thanks for the reply,

Yeah, I am using a Linux environment. I also tried with different distributions (Ubuntu 22.04.1 and Red Had 7.5) since Red Had had some similar problems at some point in the past.

But the problem seems to be present in both cases.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Oh btw you're using your own design, could you share it?

I want to replicate from my side.

0 Kudos
LIacob
Novice

It is not about the design. 

I open a brand new empty project, select the desired agilex board and try to add the HPS ip from the platform designer, and it gets stuck.

Similar, I followed the flow from the rocketboards web page (https://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/BuildingBootloader#Agilex_45_Boot_from_SD_Card -> B. Build Hardware Design Chapter) in a try to build your agilex project. The result is the same. The terminal hangs within the "make generate_from tcl" with the following message forever: "2022.10.03.13:50:29 Info: add_component agilex_hps ip/qsys_top/agilex_hps.ip intel_agilex_hps".

Could you please check that the flow from Rocketboards is working?  

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Noted, let me try to run the steps with our GHRD on the 22.1.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Could you share you full system info that was tested recently that was having the issue?

Can you share me the design that you are seeing the issue so that it could be replicate from my side? I just need to check.

I just tried using make_generate_from_tcl it was fine, I used the GHRD 22.1 and 22.1 Quartus.

0 Kudos
LIacob
Novice

There is no design yet. I was trying to build one from scratch, and could not add the hps ip.

Now I have just installed Quartus Pro 22.1 on Windows and it seems to be working just fine.

I don't know what the problem is/was, but it did not work on either of the two linux distributions I have tried.

I have to mention I am using the same license on all 3 systems, yet windows works, but linux does not.

Thanks a lot for checking its not a GHRD problem. If I somehow find the cause of this problem on linux I will come back here with an answer. 

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Glad it was no issue on your Windows system, it could be a Licensing issue, do you require further help on the Licensing?

Just for reference:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683472/21-4/software-license.html

0 Kudos
LIacob
Novice
0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

0 Kudos