Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20691 Discussions

[Quartus+scripts] How to run different scripts automatically after each flow stage?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All,  

How can I automatically run the custom scripts after each stage of compilation in Quartus?  

Let's say I want to run the script1 after the Analyze & Elaborate stage of compilation. 

Let's say I want to run the script2 after the Filler. 

Let's say I want to run the script3 after the STA stage. 

etc... 

How can I make these script run automatically after each stage? 

Thank you!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Put everything in a script and run each Quartus step separately using the command line executable - e.g. quartus_map, quartus_asm 

Run your custom scripts in between the relevant steps. 

Refer to the "quartus ii scripting reference manual (https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/manual/tclscriptrefmnl.pdf)" for details. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As an example here is a Makefile I use to run Quartus: 

DESIGN=test all:: generate report generate:: $(QUARTUS_BIN)/quartus_map $(DESIGN) --write_settings_files=off $(QUARTUS_BIN)/quartus_fit $(DESIGN) --write_settings_files=off --seed=1 $(QUARTUS_BIN)/quartus_asm $(DESIGN) --write_settings_files=off $(QUARTUS_BIN)/quartus_sta $(DESIGN) $(QUARTUS_BIN)/quartus_sta -t generate_timing.tcl $(DESIGN) 10 $(QUARTUS_BIN)/quartus_eda $(DESIGN) --write_settings_files=off -c $(DESIGN) $(QUARTUS_BIN)/quartus_cpf -c $(DESIGN).cof report:: @-echo ' ' -egrep --color -i '\(+ violated\)' TQ_*.rpt @-echo ' ' -egrep -vi '^this panel reports' TQ_fmax_summary.rpt @-echo ' ' clean:: -rm -f $(DESIGN).*.rpt $(DESIGN).*.summary $(DESIGN).*.smsg $(DESIGN).map $(DESIGN)_assignment_defaults.qdf TQ_*.rpt PLL*.txt meminit.txt -rm -f $(DESIGN).done $(DESIGN).map $(DESIGN).pof $(DESIGN).sof $(DESIGN).jic $(DESIGN).pin $(DESIGN).jdi $(DESIGN).qws $(DESIGN).*.ddb $(DESIGN).sld -rm -rf db incremental_db simulation # the end  

so one could conceivably insert any extra invocations of special TCL scripts within the generate target as necessary.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks a lot! Can I ask you how this Makefile works? Where should it be placed?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thanks a lot! Can I ask you how this Makefile works? Where should it be placed? 

--- Quote End ---  

It would go in your design directory. It should directly work under Linux. I happen to run on Win7 64b with Cygwin installed (a unix command line environment) so I just cd my cygwin shell window to the top of my design directory and type 'make'. No need to use the Quartus graphical environment at all. 

Maybe it will work in the new Win10 linux shell environment, I don't know. I don't use nor have I ever used Win10.
0 Kudos