Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Transceiver Asynchronous SSC RX

chsdkj
Beginner

Help is appreciated in identifying any FPGAs having transceivers capable of receiving 20Gbps serial datastreams which can be SSC modulated.  The SSC modulation needing to be supported is the "asynchronous" kind, such as found in lower-speed SATA and SAS protocols, where only the serial data itself gets communicated, rather than the "synchronous" kind as found in PCIe, where a reference clock is also provided by the TX end, which the RX end makes use of in the processing of the serial data.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee

Hi,

As I understand it, you have some inquiries related to FPGA which has XCVR supporting the asynchronous SSC modulation. Sorry for the inconvenience. Based on my understanding, I am not aware of any of our FPGA transceivers which could support the asynchronous SSC modulation by itself. The max ppm threshold support by a CDR is generally +-1000ppm and the SATA like modulation would easily exceed the threshold and cause CDR losing lock.

However, as I understand it, our design partner has SATA IP which should be able to handle the asynchronous SSC. You may try to contact our design partner if you would like to know more about their IP at https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/solutions/partners/partner-profile/designgateway-co---ltd-/ip/sata-ip-core.html. Note that there will be charges for their IP.

Please let me know if there is any concern. Thank you. 

Best regards,

Chee Pin

0 Kudos