Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

Trying to read back a EPM7064STI44 part with Intel stand alone programming software V18.1

pVanD22
Beginner

I installed the Intel programming software V18. This is the stand alone GUI programmer and I am using Win10.

The list of checkboxes I can activate:

Program/Configure

Verify

Blank-Check

Security

I can not check the

Examine

Erase

ISP CLAMP

The Usercode remains 0000FFFF after programming does not update to the expected Checksum value of 000C9862

I am using the terasic programmer.

Goal: I need to copy the program in the CPLD and expect the Examine to be active.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

You cannot check those functions to be used because they are not supported for that family in recent versions of the Quartus software.

The last version of software that supports the EPM7K family is 13.0sp1 for compiling from source (Verilog,VHDL) to POF files for program/verify.

Even 13.0sp1 does not support ERASE/EXAMINE(READBACK). You need to go back to IIRC MaxPlus 9.0 or earlier for image readback.

I use 13.0sp1 on Win7 64b to compile Verilog to EPM7000S parts and then program/verify POF images with a Terasic USB Blaster.

So if you are trying to readback a really old device because you 'lost' the POF images files you are most likely out of luck.

0 Kudos
pVanD22
Beginner

Thank you for your time, I did try V13.0sp1 with Win10 and it would accept program, verify, and blank check.

Had the same problem as intel prime V18.1 ... like you said with the erase and examine will not accept click.

I will know soon if the device accepted it or I'm getting a good programming indication as a little white lie.

0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

I have had no problem with v13.0sp1 programming EPM7xxxS series parts correctly. Also EPM3xxxA series. Verilog compiles to .pof; program/verify. Device runs correctly.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I am sorry that Quartus does not support examine features on Max 7000S device. You will need to use Max+Plus II tool in order to performed examine. You can still download the old software fromhttps://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/download/legacy/maxplus2/mp2-index.html.

Please refer to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd08062004_8065.html for more information

0 Kudos
pVanD22
Beginner

Let me ask you about the USERCODE, is there a way to view the usercode, (which I assume is the checksum) by using the test chain function?

The value displayed is always 0000 FFFF. Would the test chain read 0000 FFFF or the checksum?

I would try this myself but I am not in a position to do so at this time and will not be for a few more days.

The problem with using the old programming software is that win10 is the only allowed operating system because of the work we do.

The programming computer has to be tied into the LAN so that the pof file can be downloaded. This keeps the wrong version of firmware out of reach.

I understand that the legacy Max+Plus II tool was developed before win10 time. so you can't say that it is win10 compatible.

Intel's V18 programmer list this MAX device and allows you to select the device but can't do all the functional attributes, but it looks like it can program and verify.

What it programs and verifies, I don't know if it programming the pof file or just a bunch of 0xFF etc.

Maybe there more to the function "EXAMINE" than just reading back the checksum?

0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

The CHECKSUM is not the same as the USERCODE. The default USERCODE in the device, if not explicitly set by the user during programming, is 0x0000FFFF.

If you can only run Win10 then you might consider looking at using VirtualBox, VMware, etc virtual cpu environment to run the old tools in a virtual machine.

This would require setting up a compatible operating system (Windows XP or Windows 7 or maybe even MSDOS) in your VM and then loading the MaxPlusII software.

If you can't run a real physical machine with an old compatible OS nor use a virtual machine then you are basically SOL.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Max device that is specify in V18 is for Max II, V and Max 10 device. For older device it is not supported. So I would recommend you to use virtual machine to load older OS that is compatible with Max+Plus II tools.

0 Kudos