Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers

USB Blaster help

AWann1
New Contributor I

I have installed the stand alone Quartus Programmer 21.1.1.850.

I installed the USB Blaster drivers. The windows laptop sees the USB Blaster when it's connected.

However, the programmer software does not see the USB Blaster. I cannot select it when trying to assign hardware, it does not even appear as an option.

Has anyone seen this before?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AWann1
New Contributor I

Apparently Intel's drivers for the Byte Blaster are not signed in Windows 10. So Windows doesn't allow them to work.

Here's what I found to get it function:

1 - Go to windows 10 settings and search for "advanced startup options"
2 - Under Advanced startup, hit "Restart now"
3 - After a moment, you'll get a "choose an option" screen - choose "Troubleshoot", then "Advanced options", then "Startup Settings"
4 - You'll get a screen telling you what you will be able to change and a single "Restart" button - press it.
5 - You'll be given a menu of options, number 7 disables driver signature enforcement
6 - When the PC restarts, use Device manager to update the drivers, point to the "drivers" folder in your quartus install directory
7 - When you've finished, restart normally to re-enable signature enforcement

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

What version of Windows software is your laptop running?

0 Kudos
AWann1
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
Fakhrul
Employee

Hi AWann1,

You may give it a try the steps mentioned in the following KDB:

Why is Altera® USB Blaster not detected by Quartus® Programmer when it is recognized correctly in Device Manager?

Hope this could solve your issue.

Thanks.

Regards,

Fakhrul

0 Kudos
AWann1
New Contributor I

Thank you for this suggestion!

Unfortunately, it did not seem to make any difference. The USB Blaster is still not seen by the Programmer window.

0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

I am using Windows 10 Pro 64b 21H2 and have no Altera USB driver issues.

I have two separate USB pods (a TerAsic Blaster, and a Waveshare USB Blaster from Amazon) and a DE1 board with embedded interface.

They all work fine, and I see 3x USB interfaces installed and available.

I use either Quartus 13.0sp1, 16.0, or 21.1 depending on what I am doing.

Here is what Windows 10 shows about my Altera driver:

altera_usb.png

0 Kudos
AWann1
New Contributor I

Apparently Intel's drivers for the Byte Blaster are not signed in Windows 10. So Windows doesn't allow them to work.

Here's what I found to get it function:

1 - Go to windows 10 settings and search for "advanced startup options"
2 - Under Advanced startup, hit "Restart now"
3 - After a moment, you'll get a "choose an option" screen - choose "Troubleshoot", then "Advanced options", then "Startup Settings"
4 - You'll get a screen telling you what you will be able to change and a single "Restart" button - press it.
5 - You'll be given a menu of options, number 7 disables driver signature enforcement
6 - When the PC restarts, use Device manager to update the drivers, point to the "drivers" folder in your quartus install directory
7 - When you've finished, restart normally to re-enable signature enforcement

0 Kudos
Fakhrul
Employee

Hi AWann1,

I’m glad that you find the solution, I now transition this thread to community support.

This will be a good reference for the others

0 Kudos