Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

What is rx_pma_iqtxrx_clkout signal ?

SJadh1
Beginner

Hello,

I am working on a design with transceiver.

I would like to know what is rx_pma_iqtxrx_clkout signal ?

What are the usage scenario's of rx_pma_iqtxrx_clkout signal ?

Thanks & Regards,

Sachin Jadhav

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Deshi_Intel
Hi Sachin Jadhav, rx_pma_iqtxrx_clkout serves as additional FPGA internal clock source used to cascade RX PMA output clock to the refclk input of a FPGA PLL. Thanks. Regards, dlim
0 Kudos
SJadh1
Beginner

Hello dlim,

Thank you for responding.

I am cascading output clock(rx_pma_clkout) of RX PMA to the reference clock of fPLL instance so as to generate transmit clock.

I have configured RX PMA CDR to use local on-board reference clock as source. Local reference clock frequency is 108Mhz.

Transceiver is configured with Data rate is set to 1.62G and Data width is 32bit in PCS direct mode.

I am manually controlling RX CDR.

Below is my observation.

1) When rx_set_locktodata, rx_set_locktoref is 2'b00, I see a very jittery clock on rx_pma_clkout.

2) When rx_set_locktodata, rx_set_locktoref is 2'b01, I see a very clean 50.625 Mhz clock

3) When rx_set_locktodata, rx_set_locktoref is 2'b1X, I see a very clean of 31.38Mhz (What is the source of this clock)

In my test setup as of now I don't have any high speed data reception on serdes.

Why CDR is outputing 31.38 Mhz when rx_set_locktodata, rx_set_locktoref is 2'b1X ?

I also don't see my fPLL instance getting locked, when I set CDR to rx_set_locktodata, rx_set_locktoref is 2'b01.

Do I need to calibrate PLL for getting locked whenever there is change in rx_set_locktodata and rx_set_locktoref combination ?

Thanks & Regards,

Sachin Jadhav

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

Hi Sachin Jadhav,

Pls see my reply below

1. Did you check CDR lock status ?
  • The best way to ensure CDR is working correctly is to check on "rx_is_lockedtodata" or "rx_is_lockedtoref" signal depend on which CDR lock mode you are using
    • What's the lock status when you set it to either LTR mode or LTD mode
  1. Confirm CDR lock mode is setup correctly
  • Sorry, your explanation on CDR lock mode setting is unclear to me. Can you confirm are you setting it correctly as per below attached pic ?
    • I presume you are getting 50.625MHz when you set it to lock to ref (LTR) mode and got 31.38MHz when set it to lock to data (LTD) mode. I suspect your on board incoming data is transferred at around 1Gbps instead of 1.62Gbps.
  1. fPLL should lock if rx_pma_clkout is stable and output correct frequency

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
SJadh1
Beginner

Hello Dlim,

During entire test scenario there is not data coming on rx lane of serdes. Basically no external wire is connected to entire serdes port.

Below is my observation.

1) When CDR is set to LTR mode, rx_is_lockedtoref is getting set and I am seeing 50.625 Mhz clock from rx_pma_clkout.

2) When CDR is set to LTD mode, rx_is_lockedtodata is getting set and I am seeing 31.38 Mhz clock from rx_pma_clkout.

As my rx lane of serdes is not receiving any data why does CDR locks when set to LTD mode and outputs 31.38 Mhz clock ?

For this experiment I have used Arria 10 transceiver toolkit and modified IP instances for required data rate.

I have also edited top level so as to observe clock and control signals on sma connector for debugging.

Thanks & Regards,

Sachin Jadhav

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel
Hi Sachin Jadhav, May I know how do you monitor rx_is_lockedtodata signal ? Is it via probe on board or signal_tap ? Can you share with me the screen shot of rx_is_lockedtodata signal ? I do expect rx_is_lockedtodata signal to toggle high and low if there is no incoming data at all. 31.38MHz shouldn't be a valid result if rx_is_lockedtodata is toggling. Thanks. Regards, dlim
0 Kudos
SJadh1
Beginner

Hello Dlim,

I have routed rx_is_lockedtodata signal to sma connector(J7) on board. Which is connected to oscilloscope.

I see toggling behavior of rx_is_lockedtodata if CDR is set to AUTO(rx_set_lockedtoref, rx_set_lockedtodata -> 2'b00).

But if I set CDR to MANUAL mode (rx_set_lockedtoref, rx_set_lockedtodata -> 2'b01/2'b11) I see rx_is_lockedtodata is high and stable.

In this case I also see rx_pma_clkout giving 31.38Mhz.

Thanks & Regards,

Sachin Jadhav

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel
Hi Sachin Jadhav, So in short, you are seeing expected behaviour in CDR AUTO mode and CDR Manual LTR mode but not on Manual LTD mode, right ? 1) CDR AUTO mode - rx_is_lockedtodata is toggling (expected with no incoming Rx data) 2) CDR Manual LTR mode - rx_is_lockedtoref stay high (expected result) 3) CDR Manual LTD mode - rx_is_lockedtodata stay high (not expected due to no incoming Rx data) May I know are you following "Resetting the Transceiver in CDR Manual Lock Mode" guideline as per below link, page 431 ? https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/arria-10/ug_arria10_xcvr_phy.pdf Can you share with me your signal_tap screenshot vs expected reset sequence timing diagram in Figure 206 ? If you are using transceiver toolkit, then you can perform serial loopback or external loopback on board via SMA cable. Directly use toolkit PRBS pattern generator to test the data traffic and CDR lock status. It's recommended to test CDR with incoming data traffic instead of no traffic condition. You can also share with me your toolkit screenshot result if you have it. Thanks. Regards, dlim
0 Kudos
SJadh1
Beginner

Hello Dlim,

I have gone through "ug_arria10_xcvr_phy.pdf"

The reset sequence suggested by you is important from reception/transmission of data.

My test scenario is about clock generation, that too specifically about CDR block.

I want to understand why CDR block generates 31.38 Mhz clock if no input is present on Rx lane and rx_set_lockedtodata is high ?

This is important because in my design I will be using RX pma clock as a reference clock to a fPLL instance.

For better understanding if you could share below things it would be helpful.

1) Block diagram listing out analog block and digital blocks.

2) Various reset signals controlling analog block and digital block.

3) AC-DC Characteristics of each analog block.

4) Input-Output specification of each digital block.

Thanks & Regards,

Sachin Jadhav

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel
Hi Sachin Jadhav, Sorry my bad. I consulted further and only find out in CDR manual lock mode, rx_is_locktoref and rx_is_locktodata is no longer indicator of CDR lock status as it was in CDR auto lock mode. In CDR Manual lock mode, these 2 signals merely just tell user CDR should operate in LTR or LTD mode only. It's will auto assert rx_is_locktoref or rx_is_locktodata signal high depend on user select it as LTR or LTD based on setting on rx_set_locktodata and rx_set_locktoref REGARDLESS of whether there is incoming data on board or not. So in CDR manual lock mode, the expectation is user needs to implement their own PPM detector logic design to compare CDR refclk with recovery clock like rx_clkout or rx_pma_clkout to decide whether CDR really lock or not. Thanks. Regards, dlim
0 Kudos
SJadh1
Beginner

Hello Dlim,

Thank you for the confirmation.

I have further question.

I have connected rx_pma_iqrxtx_clkout signal to the reference input clock pin of a fPLL instance.

I don't see fPLL getting locked ? Do you have any suggestion why fPLL is not getting locked ?

How do I debug the reason for fPLL not getting locked.

If I simply replace fPLL reference input clock with an on-board oscillator input then fPLL gets locked.

Thanks & Regards,

Sachin Jadhav

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel
Hi Sachin Jadhav, In general, below is the common cause of PLL loose lock issue. https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/support/devices/pll/pll-loss-of-lock-checklist.pdf Looks like your fPLL loose lock is highly caused by the instable or noisy rx_pma_iqrxtx_clkout as fPLL clock source. May I know does fPLL loose lock in CDR LTD or LTR mode ? I presume LTR mode should still generate stable clockout and it shouldn't cause fPLL to loose lock, right ? If everything works correctly then alternate debug suggestion is to constraint rx_pma_iqrxtx_clkout clock network to minimize the clock jitter. You can try to connect rx_pma_iqrxtx_clkout to "clock control block" IP and configure it to regional clock network instead of global clock network if possible. Thanks. Regards, dlim
0 Kudos
SJadh1
Beginner

Hello Dlim,

As of now I am manually configuring CDR in LTR mode and expect a stable rx_pma_iqrxtx_clkout.

What is the correct way of constraining rx_pma_iqrxtx_clkout signal for low jitter.

I will also try to add a clock control block before fPLL.

Is there any more surgical method to find the root cause ?

Thanks & Regards,

Sachin Jadhav

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel
Hi Sachin Jadhav, Using FPGA core clock network is expected to be bad as compared to dedicated refclk pin as clock source of fPLL. The clock control block debug is the only idea that I have. Unfortunately I am not the right expertise and not that familiar with fPLL loose lock issue. May I suggest for you to file new Forum case and make the title clear to be "fPLL loose lock debug help request" ? Then perhaps some other more experience fPLL user can jump in and help you out. Thanks. Regards, dlim
0 Kudos
SJadh1
Beginner

Hello Dlim,

I tried the clock control suggestion, but it didn't worked.

I have also filed a new Forum case for fPLL lock issue.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Sachin Jadhav

0 Kudos