Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

can't define differential clock at MAX10

Moti
Employee

Hi

Facing Issue with Max10 CPLD, I can't define differential clock at my design.

I/O bank 6 is 1.8V, and I Used all Vref pins in the CPLD as single-ended I/O.

I tried to define the clock input as LVDS / Sub-LVDS , error :

Error (169029): Pin DIFF100_XTAL_OSC1_40MHZ is incompatible with I/O bank 6. Pin uses I/O standard Sub-LVDS, which has a VCCIO requirement incompatible with that bank's VCCIO setting or its other pins that use VCCIO 1.8V.

Error (169032): I/O bank 6 contains input or bidirectional pins with I/O standards that make it impossible to choose a legal VCCIO value for the bank

I would appreciate help regarding the define differential clock in the bank of 1.8V ?

I have also Stratix10 FPGA and I succeeded to define LVDS inputs at 1.8V bank

Thanks,

Moti

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AminT_Intel
Employee

Hello Moti,

May I know which version of Quartus are you using?  

Try this workaround to solve Error 169029:

1. Remove the location assignment of pin_perst
2. Add a quartus.ini file in your project directory with: dft_skip_oct_vccn_check = on

Try this workaround to solve Error 169032

1. Assign 1.5V PCML I/O standard to Cyclone IV GX transceiver input pins.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Moti
Employee

Thanks AminT for the fast response.

the version is Quartus standard 19.1,

I added the quartus.ini file and define the clock pin as Sub-LVDS, the 2 error are gone ( 169029 & 169032 ).

what causes the error in Quartus ?

but still the question is technical, can I now connect to the Max10 differential clock (of 1.8V at bank of 1.8V

and there is no any Vref from the pins to the CPLD) and define it as LVDS ? Sub-LVDS ?

Do they require Vref ? and what with others differential I/O 's ?

Thank you

0 Kudos
AminT_Intel
Employee

Hello Moti,

The error is a known issue.  You will need to refer to these two documents for your design I/O standard specification: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/stratix-10/ug-s10-gpio.pdf and https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/stratix-10/s10_datasheet.pdf . 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
AminT_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos