Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

clk_pll input location for DDR4 HPS (arria10sx066f34I2SG)

BJona
Novice

Hi I'm working on the device mentionned in the title.

I'm using a board from a third party vendor, but I'm facing a problem concerning the input clock of the HPS ddr interface.

When trying the plan stage, Quartus(19.3pro) don't let me place this pin at the location AL27 resulting in an error. I don't understand why Quartus doesn't want to fit this pin at this particular location as there is no explanation in the error tab.

The problem is that I can't place this particular pin at the proposed location because it's already binded to another clock of the board.

Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
1 Solution
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi there,

I apologize for the late reply, due to Lunar New Year.

Please try the following:

1. You will need below INIs variable :

• emif_restrict_hps_refclk_to_ac_tile=off

1. Open the fitter_error.qar file, add the INI file with emif_restrict_hps_refclk_to_ac_tile = off.

2. Then re-check the fitter.

Could you please try using these INIs and let us now if the error disappears when placing an HPS-EMIF?

2. If not, could you try using Quartus 19.1 if are you seeing the same error? Please let us know if the error the same when using Quartus 19.1.

Regards.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

For HPS DDR, you have to use specific pins for a specific I/O bank since the interface is all hardened and dedicated to the HPS. If there's already a clock not used by the memory interface going into that particular pin, you'll have the issue you're seeing.

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
BJona
Novice

Hi sstrell,

I understand, I think this is a conception bug.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi there,

I apologize for the late reply, due to Lunar New Year.

Please try the following:

1. You will need below INIs variable :

• emif_restrict_hps_refclk_to_ac_tile=off

1. Open the fitter_error.qar file, add the INI file with emif_restrict_hps_refclk_to_ac_tile = off.

2. Then re-check the fitter.

Could you please try using these INIs and let us now if the error disappears when placing an HPS-EMIF?

2. If not, could you try using Quartus 19.1 if are you seeing the same error? Please let us know if the error the same when using Quartus 19.1.

Regards.

BJona
Novice

Hi el.ign,

thank you for you reply, this solved my problem.

Best regards,

John

0 Kudos