Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20637 Discussions

how do i speed up place&route timing in cyclone V

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I need help to find a way to speed up fitter time because it takes me over 4 hrs to done the fitter. my sdc file is not complicated and only 76% of usage for device resource. I don't know why what cause cyclone V take so long to do the fitter. 

Thanks, 

Jeff
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Perhaps you need a faster PC.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Perhaps you need a faster PC. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

One more question, I have some logic which using negative edge clock to quality the signal. Would this negedge clk cause longer time to do fitter? 

Thanks, 

Jeff
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

I need help to find a way to speed up fitter time because it takes me over 4 hrs to done the fitter. my sdc file is not complicated and only 76% of usage for device resource. I don't know why what cause cyclone V take so long to do the fitter. 

Thanks, 

Jeff 

--- Quote End ---  

>70% device usage can be significant usage, depending on the size of your device. I run around 1h 10m on a Cyclone V SX with an HPS, using almost every DSP and memory block. This can balloon significantly if I leave floating inputs/outputs in the design. The best thing is to have a completely constrained design, both in connections and in timing. The more open variables you give the compiler, the more difficult it is for it. 

I'd take a look at your clock-crossing timing constraints, any parts that are optimized out, and check every warning that you get, line-by-line. As long as you set the correct constraints for the negative edge clock, you shouldn't have an issue, but it does matter depending on how you generate the clock!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

4 hours doesn't sound too unreasonable. I have a 4hr build on a stratix 4 on a 16 core xeon with 48gb ram. It's tight timing and a v full device that causes the long build.  

Have you got everything false pathed that needs to be? Multi cycle paths? How about logic locking the tight areas?
0 Kudos