20641 Discussions

moving average filter - unkown signal issue

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The moving average filter consists of 3 components:  

Counter - to increment the ram address 

Ram - to store 4 data samples 

average logic - computes the average and the result is latched 

These three components I have tested using a testbench for each component an the results were as expected.  

However when I included a top level design file that instantiates these three components, the internal signal takes the value of unknown when it should be summing that data at the input. (The signal initially is cleared by means of an asynchronous reset pulse)  

p_average_logic : process(i_clk, i_rst) begin if(i_rst = '0') then o_dout <= (others => '0'); dout <= (others => '0'); elsif(rising_edge(i_clk)) then if(i_en = '1' and i_ce = '1') then dout <= dout + ("00" & i_din); elsif(i_en = '1' and i_updt = '1') then o_dout <= dout(13 downto 2); else dout <= (others => '0'); end if; end if; end process p_average_logic;  

Attached is the result of the simulation of the top level design. Between 60 and 90 ns of simulation time the signal goes unkown, in that step it should be executing the following code. (taken from the code shown above) 

elsif(i_en = '1' and i_updt = '1') then o_dout <= dout(13 downto 2); 

This occurs with a warning from the simulator : # ** Warning: There is an 'U'|'X'|'W'|'Z'|'-' in an arithmetic operand, the result will be 'X'(es).# Time: 60 ns Iteration: 1 Instance: /testbench/U2/U3 

What could give rise to such an event? Especially since the component has already been tested individually?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would assume that i_din is unknown, as this will cause dout to become unknown.  

Without the full code and the testbench, thats the only answer with the code given.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for you reply Tricky!  

I have attached the project folder, all design files are found in vhd_files. stimulus.vhd contains the input stimuli and testbench.vhd is the top level design file.  

I have created a .do file, if you change the path to the project directory and execute it with modelsim will bring up the simulated result.  

Thanks a lot for your help!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

as I suspected, i_din is 'U'. This is the output of the ram. You need to ensure the ram contains values before reading them.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That solved the issue but i do not quite understand why.  

at exactly 60 ns, the output of the ram goes from undefined to some value stored in it, and at that time the average_logic module is enabled, thus shouldn't it(average_logic module) consider the new value that just changed from 'U' ? since the simulation assumes ideal conditions?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The simulation only takes the values given to it. The ram obviously has no values set for the addresses input up until that time.

0 Kudos