Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2054 Discussions

Hi all, I'm kind of in desperate need of help. I have a notebook , Acer Swift 3 SF315-52. 1000gb HDD with 16gb Intel Optane. Optane offline, need help. Please read the uploaded text file with longer description.

ESibi
Beginner

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What is your processor model number?

Does your acer bios support optane?

When did you begin experiencing this problem?

What version of Windows 10 are you using? 1903?

Doc

0 Kudos
ESibi
Beginner

My CPU is i3 8130U.

Yes of course my bios supports Optane, it came with the laptop, and it worked before.

The problem started about 1 week ago, I dont know what to blame really, the HDD, the optane, or windows 10 ?

Windows is the latest now, and was then as well , 1903.

To my suprise and astonishment I've actually got it to work. I have tried taking out the Optane 10 times at least, and it never worked.

I am not sure what got it working, but before this last time taking Optane out, I tried everything in RST clearing metadata and still got same error, i tried disassociate the cache and hdd, i got a prompt asking me if i was sure, and i clicked yes, I have tried this before and it didnt work.

Then I shut down, took out the Optane. Started without the optane, went inside RST, and of course the Optane wasnt there anymore. I shut down again, put optane back and started the PC.

Started RST and suddenly I was met by the Enable button, and from there it works now. Magic.

Thanks anyway, I guess ill never really know what was the core issue here and what helped, but glad the hell is over.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You can now consider yourself a skilled optane memory technician. I am being serious. Optane, as you know, is not user friendly, even for the experienced user. It requires way too much effort.

Now, here is what I do with my optane when I make backups of the system drive (which is paired with optane). I disable optane, restart, take the backup, restart, enable optane, restart. That way, when optane or the hdd fails, or I have to replace the motherboard, I can replace the optane, hdd, or motherboard without worry of some pairing still existing, or corruption to the hdd. Yes, it is a pain and effort. But, it is the only way I have found to have confidence in being able to manage this unfriendly beast.

I am glad you solved the problem.

Doc

0 Kudos
ESibi
Beginner

I only had this notebook for about 4 months, and its the first time I deal with Optane. But I can see what you mean, it sure isnt user friendly.

Thanks for the advice, I will take that into consideration. But honestly if i get some trouble again, ill probably trash it and get an SSD. I got a good deal on this notebook and Optane just came with it, i would have prefered a smaller SSD to be honest.

Thanks again

/Ed

0 Kudos