Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

RAID 1 single drive failed but Volume status failed instead of degraded

reidjim76
Beginner

I have a computer that has a RAID 1 volume where one of the drives has failed. I've pulled the broken drive and RST shows the status of that drive as "Missing" and the other drive from the array as "Normal," as expected. However, while I would expect the Volume to show as "Degraded" and still be available, it is instead showing as "Failed" and isn't available. Disk Management shows the drive as not initialized.

I've checked the volume both in the RST software and also in the Ctrl-I pre-boot environment, but the Volume shows as failed in both places. Any ideas why the RAID 1 volume would fail when only one drive has failed? Also, any suggestions of how I can get it up and running so the users can work while I wait for a replacement drive?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello reidjim76,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

To better assist you I would like to gather the following information:

Please run the following tool and attach the reports generated.  

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU)  download link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-  

1. Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. 
  2. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  
  3. Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  
  4. To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".  

Also, please generate and attach the System Reports for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html#:~:text=Intel%C2%AE%20Rapid%20Storage%20Technology%20(Intel%C2%AE%20RST)%20generates%20a,is%20useful%20when%20troubleshooting%20issues.

As the Volume has a “Failed” status we would recommend replacing the failed disk as soon as possible to return the overall storage system to normal.

You may want to try the following:

1. From Disk Management, We will right-click on the Missing drive.
  2. Then click “Remove Mirror”
  3. After that, please check if you are able to access the data on the other disk.

Esteban D. 

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post?   

Please let me know if you need further assistance.   

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello reidjim76, 

We have not heard back from you. 

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored  

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

0 Kudos