Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

RAID disk usage (Active Time) at 100%, slowing reads to a crawl

THuff3
Novice

I've had a RAID1 working flawlessly for several months now, and last night, after a failed update that was automatically rolled back [on Windows 10 Pro], it developed a serious problem.

Whenever I try to access the RAID disk, it's usage (Active Time) jumps to around 100% and stays their until I stop tried to use the drive but Read Speed and Write Speed mostly stay at 0 except for small spurts where it goes up to 3-8 m/sec (as displayed on the Task Manager). It's taking about 10 minutes to copy a Gig at this point. Even opening a directory with only a few files in it sends the disk usage to 100% for a couple seconds, and sometimes it even takes a second or two to load the director in File Explorer. All other drives on the system are still working fine.

When I boot the "Intel Rapid Shorage Technology - Option ROM", the RAID1 status "Initialize" instead of "normal." This would lead me to think is verifying or rebuilding or something, except that when I leave the drive alone usage falls back to 0%.

I'm baffled by this. And making a backup under these conditions seems like it would take several months.

Details:

Intel Rapid Shorage Technology - Option ROM 11.0.0.1339

Capacity: 7452.0

Partition Scheme: GPT

Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller - Driver Version 15.2.0.1020 [9/13/2016]

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe ATX Motherboard (so about 5 or 6 years old now).

Any help or additional information on what might be going on would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
THuff3
Novice

After about 10 hours, the problem finally fixed itself. Thank God.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
THuff3
Novice

Quick clarification: the RAID only contains data. The OS is on a different drive.

I'm wondering the best course of action. I'm trying to back it up to a external HDD via USB. Should I

1) leave the computer on for a while and see if it runs it's course, like for a scan or rebuild?

2) Disable one of the RAIDed HDDs via the Intel Rapid Shorage Technology - Option ROM

3) Manually disconnect one of the RAIDed HDD.

4) pull one of the RAIDED HDDs out, put it in a drive mount shell, and plug it into a different computer?

5) any other ideas?

0 Kudos
THuff3
Novice

Here is what the Task Manager looks like-

RAID issue 2.jpg

0 Kudos
THuff3
Novice

Lastly, I noticed that even when the Drive activity is registering 0% on the RAID (and the other drives). The Drive activity light is on, (not flickering but solid blue), which leads me to believe again that it is doing a scan or rebuild and that a flaw in Task Manager just assumes the drive activity is zero when the OS isn't making any requests to it. Can anybody verify that?

I'm guessing and hoping that's what's going on and that I should just leave the computer on till it finishes. But the question is, how long will that take for an 8TB x 2 RAID?

It's been on all day now and so far no data appears to be missing or corrupted.

Anybody have a guess as to what's really going on though?

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello THuff3, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. I would like to have more information of the RAID status and the drives. Please provide me with a system report, you can generate this report by following the steps in the link below: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html Also, please attach screenshots of the error shown so we can have more information of this. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
THuff3
Novice

After about 10 hours, the problem finally fixed itself. Thank God.

0 Kudos