Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2046 Discussions

Rebuilding the failed System disk in Raid 1

OZdra
Beginner

Hi guys,

I recently had an issue with Raid 1 in one of the PCs. The status was showing Failed.

It turned out that the System Disk failed. I reset this hard drive to Non-Raid, replaced the hard drive with a new one and added it to the Raid. After that the status changed to Degraded, however, it was trying to boot from the hard disk I just installed.

Is there any way that I can use the Recovery volume (the other hard drive which is working fine) as a System disk so that the newly added disk gets mirrored?

I'm asking because I usually had the Recovery volume failing so after replacing it and adding it to the Raid, it will rebuild fine, but I've never had a System disk failing.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Oliver33: Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology communities. We will do our best to try to help you with this matter.

In order to better assist you, please provide the RAID report to confirm some details about your system:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
OZdra
Beginner

Hi Alberto,

thank you for your quick reply and assistance. Unfortunately, I'm unable to check this because I can't boot from the Recovery disk now as well, so I had to put both HDDs aside and put 2 new drives and set them up from scratch.

Is there a specific procedure when I need to replace the System disk?

Best Regards,

Oliver

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Oliver33: You are welcome. What we can try now is to set the recovery disk to non-RAID on the Ctrl+i menu to confirm if the computer boots that way. Additionally could you please provide a picture or let us know what is the error message you get when trying to boot from the recovery disk?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Oliver33: I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
OZdra
Beginner

Hi Alberto,

sorry for the delay. The disk was set to Non-Raid and the Windows doesn't boot. There is no error, just a cursor blinking in the upper left corner of the screen.

Best Regards,

Oliver

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Oliver33: No problem all. Just to let you know, the reason for this problem could be that the operating system might be corrupted.

As an option, under Windows recovery options, we can try a Windows repair using the installation disc.

Another alternative will be to connect the hard drive to a different PC to try to recover the information, since this is a RAID 1 configuration the data should not get lost.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Oliver33: I just wanted to check if the problem persists and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
OZdra
Beginner

Hi Alberto,

I already recovered the information from the hard disk. I wanted to know if there is a specific procedure of rebuilding Raid1 if HDD0 fails or is it the same regardless which hard drive fails?

Best Regards,

Oliver

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Oliver33: Perfect, thank you very much for letting us know those results.

In regard to your question, yes, for RAID 1 configuration since it is based on mirroring, you should be able to recover the information if one of the hard drive fails, regardless which hard drive fails.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
OZdra
Beginner

Hi Alberto,

thank you very much, case closed.

Best Regards,

Oliver

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Oliver33: You are very welcome.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos