Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2054 Discussions

Regarding notify setting of Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management

OsamuKeiya
Beginner

"Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management (v17.9.1.1009)" does not notify you when the HDD / SSD that configures RAID fails.
"Intel Rapid Storage Technology (v17.8.0.1065)" will be notified.
"Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management" does not can notify? Is it a specification? issue?

-NOTE-
Both "Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management (v17.9.1.1009)" and "Intel Rapid Storage Technology (v17.8.0.1065)" notify setting is enable (default value)

We are using the same HW / OS environment.
Platform: Whisky Lake
CPU: Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-8365U 1.60GHz
Storage: SSD 2.5 inch x 2
RAID mode: RAID1 (Mirror)

Case 1: Using Intel Rapid Storage Technology
Windows Notify Setting on RST utility: Enable
Operation: Remove 1 storage
Result: Windows notification occurs

Case 2: Using Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management
Windows Notify Setting on Optane utility: Enable
Operation: Remove 1 storage
Result: Windows notification not occurs

0 Kudos
15 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @OsamuKeiya

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to review this further, could you please provide us with the following information?

1- The brand and full model(s) of the system(s) regarding this request:

2- Where did you download both applications and drivers? Is it from the computer manufacturer's support websites or is it from the Intel® Download Center (generic drivers)?

3- Do you mean to (RST/RAID) email alert notifications or alerts on Windows* itself, for instance, as the notifications we usually see in the "Windows* notification center"?

4- Could you please share screenshots showing the feature in question enabled on both tools? And also a screenshot or example of the notification that you do receive using Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) v17.8.0.1065?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello OsamuKeiya

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
OsamuKeiya
Beginner

Hi, Andrew-san

sorry for the late reply.
Also, Thank you for your support.

I will prepare the environment for taking screenshots.
After a while, I will update the information again.

Best regards,

Osamu KEIYA

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello OsamuKeiya

Thank you for your response. No problem, please take your time and we will be waiting for the information and screenshots so we can review this further. For any other inquiries, please don't hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
OsamuKeiya
Beginner

Hi, Andrew-san

sorry for the late reply.
Also, Thank you for your support.

I have prepared a screenshot.
RST.zip: Intel Rapid Storage Technology
Optane.zip: Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management

I took various screenshots, but the point is Windows notifications.

[My Operation]
I configured RAID1.
Then I disconnected one storage.
Then I connected the same storage again.

Case: RST
Refer to RST_14.png.
* As you can see in the other images, RST has all event notifications.

Case: Optane
Refer to Optane_07.png, Optane_08.png, Optane_09.png.
*For Optane, no Windows notification event will occur.
Notification setting is Enable. (Refer to Optane_06.png)

[My question]
Is this a bug in Opatane?
Or is there any other correct setting method?

Best regards,
Osamu KEIYA

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello OsamuKeiya

Thank you for your response and for all the screenshots.

Please allow us to look into this behavior and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as more details are available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, OsamuKeiya.

Good day,

Thank you very much for your patience.

I would like to let you know that we continue working on your case, I will contact you back as soon as I can share any updates or in case more information is required.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
OsamuKeiya
Beginner

Hi, Bruce-san

Thank you for your support.
I will waiting for information from you.

Best regards,
Osamu KEIYA

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello OsamuKeiya

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After reviewing this further, we would like to inform you that Intel® RST or Intel® Optane™ Memory and Storage Management application versions 17.x and above will not come with a notification area or tray icon to notify about failures.

This is handled by Windows Notification Center and for this, the Notifications option within the Intel® RST console needs to be enabled and Windows* will take care of it. We would like to confirm that this "Notifications" feature only works for Intel® RST so our recommendation is that you continue using the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Software.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello OsamuKeiya

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
OsamuKeiya
Beginner

Hi, Andrew-san

Thank you for your support.

I ask a simple question.
Is this a specification? Or is it a bug?
This point is the most important to me.
First, please tell us either the specifications or the bugs.

[My understanding]
Intel® Optane ™ Memory and Storage Management has Notifications settings. (Ref.Optane_06.png)
However, Intel® Optane ™ Memory and Storage Management does not have notification-related features.
My understanding is that this issue is a bug. Correct?

Below is the request.

[If this issue is a bug]
· Does Intel have a plan to fix this issue?
If Intel has it, I want to know the schedule.

[If this issue is by design]
Please remove Notifications settings from the GUI because the user will misunderstand.

Best regards,

Osamu KEIYA

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello OsamuKeiya

Thank you for your response. We do understand your point and concern.

Please kindly allow us to double-check this further and we will be posting back as soon as more details are available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello OsamuKeiya

Thank you very much for your patience in this.

In regards to your inquiries, this is not a bug. This was a setting implemented with Intel® Optane ™ Memory and Storage Management 17.x and above. The notification feature will only work through Microsoft Notification Center and it will display messages if this is configured within RST/Optane console, just like the picture you previously attached.

There is no misunderstanding since this is a complement that will work with Microsoft Notification Center.

Any time RST detects an issue or new events will communicate with MS notification center and will display the message on the notification area from Windows.

In order to review this further, we would like to know if notifications are enabled in Windows® Settings?

Using the screenshot "Optane_06.png" as a reference, could you please click on "Change settings" (the blue button) and review if it is enabled?

Note: Once you click on the blue button "Change settings" this should open the Windows® Settings > Notifications and Actions window. Please scroll down to see "Get notifications from these senders" or "Show notifications from these apps" or similar and review if notifications are enabled for the tool.

If you confirm it is enabled, please provide us with the following information so we can check this further:

1- A screenshot from Windows® Settings > Notifications showing that the Notifications are enabled for Intel® Optane ™ Memory and Storage Management app.

2- An Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system. Please follow these steps:

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

Best regards, and thank you for all your efforts so far.

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello OsamuKeiya

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello OsamuKeiya

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos