Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

Active System Console command line parameter for password? (Windows)

SBras1
Beginner

Hi,

We are doing a lot of server installations and therefore I am trying to "automate" a lot of drivers, tools & settings configuration.

For ASC there is only 1 small problem which I know how to work around but it's not that it is a real proper solution...

Is there a way to provide the password with a command line parameter ? If i ask the "help" in command prompt it is not available.

Kind regards,

Steven

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Stevenb,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

What the server system model you have and motherboard model, processor model, operating system?

Would you please explained what software, method or what exactly are you trying to achieve so we can understand better your problem?

Best regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
SBras1
Beginner

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for your quick response.

Here is what I am trying to achieve:

Opening setup from the command line with: ASC-ver7.0.34-windows-x64.exe added /S /v/qr (reduced mode) parameters.

Return from -? parameter, as you can see there is no parameter to pass the password.

Prompts for password while trying to achieve a unattended install.

My question is if there is a parameter available that passes the password ?

This way it does not prompt anymore asking for a password and I can fully automate my installations.

Regarding the hardware, it does not really matter in which combination of hardware you do this... on Intel hardware off course this screenshots are taken from (S2600CW with E5-2620V4).

Best regards,

Steven

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the information Stevenb.

In order to connect you to the proper support group to help you with this issue, you will need to have an Intel server system, if your system is an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) computer, we cannot guarantee that it will work, if you have Dell system or HP, Alienware or from any other manufacturer I suggest you to get in contact with them to find out if this software can work or not.

However, you can try following the user guide:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/server-products/000006753.html Intel® Active System Console User Guide for Supported Intel® Server...

Best regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
SBras1
Beginner

Hi Ivan,

I think there is a little misunderstanding, the issue is hardware independent.

All servers we build are full INTEL only systems, no HP, DELL, Alienware, ...

The full specification list of the hardware used, but as mentioned before this is not really a hardware problem...

P4304XXMUXX (Chassis)

FXX750PCRPS (PSU)

DBS2600CW2R (Mainboard)

BX80660E52620V4 (CPU)

AUPCWPBTP (Heatsink)

M393A2G40EB1 (REG ECC RAM)

FUP4X35S3HSDK (Backplane)

SSDSC2BB240G701 (SSD SATA)

MG03SCA100 (HDD SAS)

RS3DC080 (RAID Controller)

AXXRMFBU4 (BBU)

AXXCBL650HDHD (Cable to connect RAID controller to backplane)

AXXRMM4LITE2 (Remote Management Module)

P73-06967 (Server 2016 standard)

My question:

Is there a parameter to passthrough the password in command prompt for Active System Console, I have read the documentation you gave up before there is nothing mentioned about that.

Example would be:

ASC-ver7.0.34-windows-x64.exe /S /v/qr/p "password" --> Executed from the command prompt in Server 2016 in my case, I can already confirm that this is the same on 2008 R2/2012 & R2/2016.

I hope this clarifies things

Kind regards,

Steven

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the information, I know the issue is hardware independent, but I just needed to know your hardware information to transfer this case to the proper support group for them to assist you better.

Thank you for your patience,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
SBras1
Beginner

Hi Ivan,

Okay thanks, I'll be waiting for an update then

Greetings,

Steven

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Steven,

Your case has been transferred to the proper support group now. We are not aware of such option but we are investigating to see if there's a way to bypass the password during setup.

Thank you for your patience.

Steven V.
0 Kudos
SBras1
Beginner

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your answer.

I was hoping that there was such a parameter.

Meanwhile I was looking at some options in command line and found some stuff like:

ASC-ver7.0.34-windows-x64.exe /S /v"/qn /p"password" (like my example above, it does actually exists but I don't think ASC setup supports it because its not doing anything.)

I was also trying to record my installation steps with:

ASC-ver7.0.34-windows-x64.exe /r /f1"" (unfortunately I can't get this to work because there is no "respond file" created, or I just don't know how it works )

I've also looked at the msiexec options because the executable of ASC launches an .msi but also had no succes with this one.

Maybe you have something with this information and can do something more than me.

My last option is to create a little application with VB/C# .NET that looks for the ASC setup and waits until it asks for the password, I know this is possible and already tested some stuff with this code but a command line parameter that just passes the password would be so much easier .

Kind regards,

Steven

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you very much for providing us that information. We investigated this further and so far there is no option to bypass it. I will pass your information and share the feedback with engineering to have this feature considered in a future release.

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience this is causing you since we do not have that option available for the moment.

Best Regards,

Steven V.

0 Kudos