Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

How to update main board BIOS S5000PSLSATAR

DFinl
Beginner

I would like to update the BIOS on my S5000PSLSATAR in hopes to fix my fan speed problem. My current AMI bios is Aptio version 1.20.1093 and the bios listed in setup is S5000.86B.10.60.0091

I have download the 'Firmware Update Package for DOS, Version: 101;68;48 dated 12/27/2010 I have read through the include BIOS101.txt file and I am not 100% sure my system meets the requirements. I have never tried to update the firmware on any of my Intel servers so I am hoping to avoid messing up my working server.

Can someone confirm this is the correct package for my mother board and if not, suggest or point out the correct one. It currently does not have any OS installed but I would like to convert to a backup server.

This is the zip file I download from Intel: S5000PSL_DOS_update_BIOS101_BMC68_FRUSDR48.zip

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello David,

Can you please provide us the https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/multimedia/boardsandkits/5625/index.html PBA number of your server board?

Best regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos
DFinl
Beginner

The part number listed in the bios setup is E11027-102. Is this the PBA number? Just in case, the serial number is QSSL82700951 and the system part number is TK-MMSXQ5PELSI. If it matters, there is one xeon E5405 CPU installed.

Thank you

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello David,

Thank you for providing the PBA number of your system.

Upon checking the https://downloadmirror.intel.com/19672/eng/Software_Update_23_Instructions.txt release notes of the latest BIOS version, your board with the PBA number E11027-102 should support this new BIOS.

These instructions describe a complete system software update including BIOS 101, BMC 68, and FRUSDR 48. Follow the instructions exactly as written. A complete and successful update will take approximately 20 minutes.

- Copy all system update files to a bootable USB Disk-on-key device

- Verify processor(s) and memory DIMMs are installed in the system

- Plug in AC power cord

- Wait until Status LED stops blinking amber/green

- Insert bootable USB Disk-on-Key into USB Port (Front or Rear)

- Power on the system using "Power" button on Control Panel

*** BIOS ***

- At a DOS prompt, update the system BIOS by running BIOS101.BAT batch file.

- With Updates completed, reboot the system by pressing + + .

- During POST, with the Intel logo screen displayed, press the "F2" key to enter BIOS Setup.

- Once in BIOS setup verify BIOS version.

- Press the F9 key to load "Optimized factory defaults".

- Set any desired BIOS Setup options.

- Press F10 to SAVE and Exit Bios Setup.

NOTE: It is recommended to run the BIOS update again to flash the other BIOS bank. This will prevent any issues with incompatible BIOS revisions.

*** BMC ***

- At a DOS prompt update to BMC Firmware by running the BMC68.BAT batch file

NOTE: After the BMC firmware update has completed you should receive confirmation that the update was successful

*** FRUSDR ***

- At a DOS prompt, Update the FRUSDR data by running the FSL48.BAT batch file.

- Select Option 1, "Update FRU's and SDR's".

- Select the appropriate chassis that the server board is installed in.

- If asked, answer questions for the appropriate number of power supplies and fans that are installed in the chassis.

- The update will complete successfully and give confirmation (You do not need to reboot the system after this step)

I hope this information helps.

Best regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello David,

Thank you for providing the PBA number of your system.

Upon checking the https://downloadmirror.intel.com/19672/eng/Software_Update_23_Instructions.txt release notes of the latest BIOS version, your board with the PBA number E11027-102 should support this new BIOS.

These instructions describe a complete system software update including BIOS 101, BMC 68, and FRUSDR 48. Follow the instructions exactly as written. A complete and successful update will take approximately 20 minutes.

- Copy all system update files to a bootable USB Disk-on-key device

- Verify processor(s) and memory DIMMs are installed in the system

- Plug in AC power cord

- Wait until Status LED stops blinking amber/green

- Insert bootable USB Disk-on-Key into USB Port (Front or Rear)

- Power on the system using "Power" button on Control Panel

*** BIOS ***

- At a DOS prompt, update the system BIOS by running BIOS101.BAT batch file.

- With Updates completed, reboot the system by pressing + + .

- During POST, with the Intel logo screen displayed, press the "F2" key to enter BIOS Setup.

- Once in BIOS setup verify BIOS version.

- Press the F9 key to load "Optimized factory defaults".

- Set any desired BIOS Setup options.

- Press F10 to SAVE and Exit Bios Setup.

NOTE: It is recommended to run the BIOS update again to flash the other BIOS bank. This will prevent any issues with incompatible BIOS revisions.

*** BMC ***

- At a DOS prompt update to BMC Firmware by running the BMC68.BAT batch file

NOTE: After the BMC firmware update has completed you should receive confirmation that the update was successful

*** FRUSDR ***

- At a DOS prompt, Update the FRUSDR data by running the FSL48.BAT batch file.

- Select Option 1, "Update FRU's and SDR's".

- Select the appropriate chassis that the server board is installed in.

- If asked, answer questions for the appropriate number of power supplies and fans that are installed in the chassis.

- The update will complete successfully and give confirmation (You do not need to reboot the system after this step)

I hope this information helps.

Best regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos
DFinl
Beginner

I ran the firmware/bios update per your instructions. Everything seemed to go well on my s5000psl so since my other working one has the exact same motherboard (just a different cpu) I decided to go ahead and upgrade it as well. Unfortunately, after upgrading the second computer, it would no longer load the the OS (ubuntu). It boots into black screen with a '-' and never loads the OS. I decided to go back to the original upgraded server and load a new version of ubuntu on it to see if was some sort of compatibility issue. After successfully boot into the os install boot cd and using the 'try first' option it seemed to run this from the CD with no problem so I went ahead and installed the os from the install cd already running the trial version. After installing and restarting, it does the exact same thing as the other server. Just a black screen with a single '-' and never loads the OS. I restarted again and forced it to boot to the disk with the installed os from the bios with the same results.

I went through my bios setting a couple of times and do not see anything abnormal. Note, I did following the directions on boot updates to reset the bios to factory settings.

Any idea of what could be going on??? Please help since now I have 2 non-functional servers!

0 Kudos
DFinl
Beginner

Note: I also tried clearing the cmos by moving the jumper and battery. Did not help.

0 Kudos
DFinl
Beginner

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have tried various changes to bios setting and still won't boot from hard drive. It will boot Unbuntu from a trail CD. It seems that it just does not recognize the os installed on the hard drive. I do see my hard drives in the bios (including boot drive).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

You can try to perform a BIOS recovery, you can find the available version https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/46546/Intel-Server-Board-S5000PSLSATAR here.

Also, try also to load the BIOS default settings.

Additionally, try to load the operating system on a spare hard drive and check if there are any issues with the installation.

Best regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos
DFinl
Beginner

I found a solution but still would like to understand why I needed to do this. Could it possibly be conflicts with the old cmos settings? I did clear the CMOS manually but it did not help until I did the following:

1. Disconnect all hard drives except the OS drive

2. Restarted with only OS drive connected

3. Booted into OS normally

4. Shutdown and re-connected data drives.

5. Restarted successfully loading OS and data drives mounted normally. I.E. - same as before BIOS upgrade.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello David,

We are glad to hear that you were able to resolve your problem. The problem as you mentioned before, could be related to an old setting that was preventing the operating system to load.

That is why we recommend clearing the CMOS in order to delete any compatibility problem.

Please let us know in case you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello David,

In case you need further assistance please feel free to contact us back.

Best regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos