Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Intel SS4200-E system appears normal, but disks degraded?

idata
Employee

Since around a half year, my SS4200-E tells me my disks are degraded. It operates at a RAID5 config with 4 1TB disks.

Because of this i backed up all my info and started checking what's wrong with the system.

First i went to the Dashboard, where it states that the system is operating normally. When i click on that link, i get into the status page where it says: System Health: Degraded. That link goes to a page where the last line says: Disks: Degraded.

When i follow the link i get to the page where it shows my 4 disks, all healthy. There are also no leds flashing or whatoever. Only the Disks: Degraded shows there's something wrong with the system.

Today i did a complete reset of the RAID config and even brought it to a RAID 0+1 config. Still, the same error appears.

I found out there's a support.html page in the server where i can go to. I made a dump of the system logs and checked both harddisks and raid in that log. All appear normal. The states are "Running" and the Raid is operating as it should, with no strange system states.

So the problem is that the system appears to run as it should. The logs tell that everything is ok, but still in the dashboard it says the disks are degraded.

What is wrong with my system?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Update:

Today i did a couple of tests on all harddrives of my NAS. There's one disk that kept giving errors in the seagate tools. It's now on its way to Seagate. Hopefully things will be handled quickly so i can go further with my tests. But so far it looks like the problem is discovered.

Will update when i receive a new HD.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Update:

Got my disk replaced by Seagate. Yesterday i rebuilt the array, after 24hrs it was done. System works perfectly again.

The SS4200E isn't that good in reporting a broken harddisk, even after doing a system test and dumping it to a log it showed no errors.

Case closed, HD was broken.

0 Kudos