Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Intel Server S5500BC + hard disk

RMazz2
Beginner

Ciao a tutti, possiedo un server intel S5500BC ed ho montato 4 hard disk da 6 tera ( che allego in foto). Ora, mi hanno detto che questi non sono compatibili e che ci vorrebbe il rack nuovo.

Qualcuno ne sa qualcosa? O sa consigliarmi?

Grazie

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Raffaele,

Hard drives of 2TB or more require UEFI technology in BIOS and hard drives need to be formatted as GPT instead of MBR. Additionally, we require operating systems already prepared for GPT (Windows* Server 2012 and newer versions)

The Intel® Server Board S5500BC supports this technology, get into BIOS>Boot Options and enable EFI Optimized Boot.

If you already have an operating system installed, it will be necessary to install OS from scratch again.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Raffaele,

Hard drives of 2TB or more require UEFI technology in BIOS and hard drives need to be formatted as GPT instead of MBR. Additionally, we require operating systems already prepared for GPT (Windows* Server 2012 and newer versions)

I was wondering if you need anything else from my side in regard to your last post.

Regard,

Mike C

0 Kudos
RMazz2
Beginner

Hi, sorry for delay, I can't active the UEFI option on BIOS because it's not selectable. My situation is that I have the raid controller that (like said me a technician) doesn't work well with my hard disks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Raffaele,

Raffaele, the limitation is related to the RAID card and not the board itself. Now, let me tell you, newer boards include in the BIOS the option to configure RAID arrays instead of using the RAID controller BIOS of the RAID cards when we are using the boot mode as UEFI.

The Intel® Server Board S5500BC is old now and is not prepared to create RAID arrays using the boot mode UEFI.

Regard,

Mike C

0 Kudos
RMazz2
Beginner

ah, so I need to change it. Can you tell me what is the best solution for me please?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Raffaele,

Intel has plenty solutions for your requirements, bear in mind the newer options require newer processors and memory. It will be necessary to buy a complete system, your current server system is old, actually, it is out of warranty and support.

I am sending you a list of https://ark.intel.com/products/family/43715/Single-Socket-Server-Boards Single-Socket Server Boards:

S1200SPLR

S1200SPOR

S1200SPSR

Each board provides a list of compatible products including processors, chassis, raid products, accessories and more.

I am including the process on how to set a RAID configuration using UEFI boot with the https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/raid-products/SWUG_full_featured_entry_RAID.pdf Intel® Server Boards. Review the section 5.3 Human Interface Infrastructure (HII) Configuration Utility page 90.

Regards,

Mike C

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Raffaele,

I was wondering if you have any additional question about UEFI boot mode; feel free to post again if you need anything else

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos