Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Ram upgrade to S5500BCR board server / sgl processor with 4 x 2mb ram...

BNic
Beginner

Hi Some advice please on the following. I have inherited the above small server and decided that it badly needed an upgrade to 16gb ram from 8gb. I ran the Crucial ram test to ensure the correct ram and installed the new 4 x 4gb Crucial ram (replacing the existing 4 x 2mb sticks / same slots).

When installed the Windows SBS 2008 My Computer/Properties states 16gb so seems to be seated ok and recognised but the Task Manager still states 8gb and still sluggish ???

The warning ! light came on the server face upon switching on again after the upgrade but ran ok.

Do i need to change a setting in the Bios ... or what ???? (You had better advise me please on how i get into the Bios, if required to).

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Cheers

R

0 Kudos
5 Replies
David_A_Intel

Let me provide some assistance on this situation.

The system BIOS does not require any change after a memory upgrade. First, we need to see what triggered the fault light on the system. For this, you may download and install the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=20994 Intel® Active System Console you may also run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=19657 Intel System Information Retrieval Utility to capture the logs of the board.

You can also check the system BIOS to see if there is any report of errors with a particular stick. Press F2 during POST > Advanced > Memory Configuration.

What is the part/ model number of the new memory?

0 Kudos
BNic
Beginner

David

Thanks for your prompt info. In reply the Crucial ram type etc taken straight from their invoice ...

4 off 4GB DDR3 PC3-12800 CL = 11 Unbuffered Non ECC 1.5V 512Meg X 64 ... DDR3 1600

Part No - CT 3724549

As i stated i did use the downloadable Crucial RAM requirement analyser and ordered there and

then from them.

Cheers

Bob

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel

Thank you for the information. I checked the specifications of the memory and noticed that it is Unbuffered Non-ECC memory. This system board only supports ECC memory. This might explain the erratic behavior we have seen.

You may refer to our http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s5500bc/sb/CS-030210.htm validation list for more part numbers to use on this board.

0 Kudos
BNic
Beginner

Cheers, David. I will order the correct RAM this morning and confirm the outcome to you in a couple of days. I would have assumed that the Crucial analyser software software would get the required spec correctly .... another lesson for us.

0 Kudos
BNic
Beginner

David

New and correct and different manufacturer ram fitted Friday past and issue solved. Thanks for your speedy advice.

Disappointed that Crucials downloaded software for compatible ram needs analyser was blatently "wrong".

Cheers

BN

0 Kudos