Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

App Preview won't load apps from QR code

Brian_N_
Beginner

I'm trying to test my application on an account separate from my developer account.  To do this I made sure my latest code was uploaded to the XDK servers, then created a new account for use in the App Preview application, logged in, then tried to scan the QR code from my XDK Test tab. 

When I first launch the app I see this error:  An error occurred while fetching user settings

Then, I scan the QR code I get the following error:  Error resolving app name.  Please sync and re-scan or pick app from list.

I even went into my developer profile and tried creating a new organization and having the new test profile join that organization but that didn't fix anything.  What am I missing?  I've tried logging out of the application, reboot, login, as well as reinstalling the app but that didn't work either.  I'd like for others to be able to test my apps and thought I could get it to work through this app.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

The QR code can only be used from the same login as your XDK login that was used to push the app via the Test tab. In other words, that QR code will only work if App Preview is logged into your XDK development account, not an adjunct account.

The only way to allow others to test your app is either by "sharing" the result of a build with them (this works for an APK if "installing non-market apps" is eanbled on their device, and if you have included their iOS device UID in your provisioning file, it does not work for Windows Phone devices). You can also use the beta distribution features of the various stores.

0 Kudos
Amrita_C_Intel
Employee

What happens when you scan with same account instead of separate account?

0 Kudos
Brian_N_
Beginner

@Amrita If I scan the QR from the account the code is under works just fine. 

@Paul  Based on the below paragraph from https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/docs/intel-xdk-app-preview-overview I had the impression that by sharing the QR with another user you'd be able to let them view the app.  Mainly the line "This lets you quickly beta test HTML5 or hybrid HTML5 projects on any App Preview installed device by sharing the QR code with other App Preview users"

Using the QR Code Reader

The QR code reader within App Preview is essential for launching Intel XDK “cloud stored” HTML5 projects (projects synced using the Test tab) developed using the Intel XDK. App Preview allows users to scan QR codes for any project pushed to the Intel XDK testing servers. This lets you quickly beta test HTML5 or hybrid HTML5 projects on any App Preview installed device by sharing the QR code with other App Preview users. Tap the camera icon located in the upper-right corner of App Preview and scan the QR code to download and run the associated HTML5 app.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

@Brian -- I need to update the docs, that used to be the case, a very long time ago, but it is no longer the case. We did a major redesign of the backend system to tighten up the security of our system to protect your account and app assets. We, unfortunately, have not had the time to put in place a real beta-sharing feature.

In the meantime, one workaround would be to sign into the alternate account and push (sync) your app with the Test tab (no need to perform a build). Then, tell your beta testers to log into App Preview with that alternate account and choose the "Server Apps" tab at the bottom of the App Preview screen. From there they should see the app you synced using the Test tab and can simply start it by touching the app name. This is actually easier than using the QR code, which is hard to read with some devices, dependent on the quality of the camera.

Note that when running in App Preview you cannot test any features associated with third-party plugins, only core Cordova plugins.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
Brian_N_
Beginner

I went with using a new shared account to publish the app like you said and that works.  Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos