Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Missing micparse.h

Anselm_B_
Beginner

Hello,

I am trying to build the micconfig tool from the micmgmt package, but the compiler is complaining about the "micparse.h" file missing. I cannot find it anywhere in the sources. So my obvious question is, where can I find it?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Frances_R_Intel
Employee

I looked and I also couldn't find it. Before I see if I can get a copy of the include file for you, I have to ask - are you really sure you want to do this? There is a reason this utility isn't built and installed by default. This is a tool written primarily for equipment manufacturers and to quote from the doc_oem/micconfig1.txt file:

Warning : Altering system configuration may result in malfunction,
          including rendering coprocessors unusable. Please read the
          Intel(R) Xeon Phi(TM) Datasheet before using this tool.

This is serious business. You could make the coprocessor permanently unusable. 

0 Kudos
Evan_P_Intel
Employee

When I asked around about this, the first reaction from the team that wrote micconfig was "What? Where'd this customer get the source?" followed shortly by dismay upon learning that it had been included in the publicly released micmgmt source tarball. I suspect that source for micconfig will disappear entirely from future MPSS releases.

0 Kudos
Anselm_B_
Beginner

Frances and Evan, thank you for the quick (and honest) response!

Back when I wrote the post, I was completing a Gentoo installation with the Xeon Phi and wanted to install all the tools that seemed to become handy eventually. It was just bugging me that I could not build it from source, so I thought I just ask. I know that are many ways to brick the hardware permanently. I am part of a research group in operating system design at a university and we are using the Xeon Phi not as computation accelerator but as a research object with focus of its many-core properties. So we are aware of the risk.

Having said this, I have to tell you that I personally find one of the greatest things about the whole Xeon Phi platform is its openness that makes it e.g. for researchers like me possible to do things with it that were not intended by the manufacturer. So, I would obviously not welcome it if you remove any source but I can absolutely understand if you do so especially if the code was never intended for customers.

0 Kudos