Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Team Development using XDK and Git

Troy_B_
Beginner

Hello,

Our team currently uses Eclipse with SVN to build mobile apps using PhoneGap Build. We want to use XDK because of the better tools but struggle with team development because source repository and versioning is not built in. We tried to install the Git Extension for the XDK Brackets Editor but this behaves differently than when it is used with standalone Brackets. Is this the recommended way to use XDK for team development? I would also love to hear how other teams are implementing XDK development using XDK.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Swati_S_Intel1
Employee

I would recommend using the extension that is available in XDK. It should work the same as with standalone brackets.

Swati

0 Kudos
Troy_B_
Beginner

I have installed the Brackets Git Extension, but the extension tools don't show up on XDK Brackets. Under the extensions menu there is a dialog for Git Settings but unlike the standalone brackets there is no way to get to the Git Extension tools.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Go to the Git Settings dialog and then select the "Shortcuts" tab. You should see the default keystroke for getting to the Git extension panel (it should be set as "Ctrl-Alt-G"). When you have Brackets open, type "Ctrl-Alt-G" and the Git tools should show up.

0 Kudos
Troy_B_
Beginner

Paul,

Great. "Ctrl-Alt-G" works to bring up the Git tools. It wasn't that obvious. Now XDK is complete. Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Troy_B_
Beginner

Paul,

How does clone work on the Git Brackets extension? 

Right now I use GitHub to clone the repository to my XDK project directory and open it from XDK. I then setup a remote connection to sync things. This works.

If I click on Clone on the Git Brackets Extension it complains that the project is not empty. I have not found a way to create an XDK project that's empty. So the situation is kinda a chicken and an egg thing.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Sorry, I've never tried using the clone feature of git within Brackets. The brackets extension just uses standard git command-line to make things happen, they do not try to reproduce git. I think there is a log file you can enable that would show you exactly what git command lines are being issued. Github does not rely on the git command line, so that might explain why the clone behavior is different.

0 Kudos