Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

iOS build is missing icons

Henning_S_
Beginner

Hi,

I have an iOS package where i have defined all the icons for the iOS build through the UI and the result in the .xdk file is this:

"icons_": [
          {
            "relPath": "res/icon/ios/new/icon-60-3x.png",
            "height": 180,
            "width": 180
          },
          {
            "relPath": "res/icon/ios/new/icon-60-2x.png",
            "height": 120,
            "width": 120
          },
          {
            "relPath": "res/icon/ios/new/icon-60.png",
            "height": 60,
            "width": 60
          },
          {
            "relPath": "res/icon/ios/new/icon-76-2x.png",
            "height": 152,
            "width": 152
          },
          {
            "relPath": "res/icon/ios/new/icon-76.png",
            "height": 76,
            "width": 76
          }
        ],

I see in intelxdk.config.ios.xml the corresponding entries:

<icon platform="ios" src="res/icon/ios/new/icon-60-3x.png" width="180" height="180"/>
<icon platform="ios" src="res/icon/ios/new/icon-60-2x.png" width="120" height="120"/>
<icon platform="ios" src="res/icon/ios/new/icon-60.png" width="60" height="60"/>
<icon platform="ios" src="res/icon/ios/new/icon-76-2x.png" width="152" height="152"/>
<icon platform="ios" src="res/icon/ios/new/icon-76.png" width="76" height="76"/>

However, in the resuling ipa file most of the icon png files in the .app folder is blank and when I install on an iPhone 5 I just get the default cordova icon on the home screen.

Is this a known issue and how do I get a build with proper icons for my customer?

Thanks, Henning

0 Kudos
16 Replies
sebastian_r_
Beginner

The same here. Sadly i passsed all the approval process and just then realized that the icon is the INTEL icon.

0 Kudos
Amrita_C_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Are you using Legacy build or Cordova?

0 Kudos
sebastian_r_
Beginner

Amrita C. (Intel) wrote:

Hello,

Are you using Legacy build or Cordova?

i´m using Legacy iOS, thanks.

0 Kudos
Henning_S_
Beginner

Cordova. I build a Cordova Android package and iOS package from the same source. The Android one is fine. The iOS has issues with the icons in the compiled ipa.

0 Kudos
Henning_S_
Beginner

This might be part of the issue - seems the build is missing part of the path or the zip is incomplete. This is from the build log:

Copying icon from .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-60.png to .../HWI_WBP/platforms/ios/HWI_WBP/Resources/icons/icon-60.png
cp: no such file or directory: .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-60.png

Copying icon from .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-60-2x.png to .../HWI_WBP/platforms/ios/HWI_WBP/Resources/icons/icon-60@2x.png
cp: no such file or directory: .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-60-2x.png

Copying icon from .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-76.png to .../HWI_WBP/platforms/ios/HWI_WBP/Resources/icons/icon-76.png
cp: no such file or directory: .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-76.png

Copying icon from .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-76-2x.png to .../HWI_WBP/platforms/ios/HWI_WBP/Resources/icons/icon-76@2x.png
cp: no such file or directory: .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-76-2x.png

Copying splash from .../HWI_WBP/res/splash/320x480.png to .../HWI_WBP/platforms/ios/HWI_WBP/Resources/splash/Default~iphone.png
cp: no such file or directory: .../HWI_WBP/res/splash/320x480.png

Copying splash from .../HWI_WBP/res/splash/640x960.png to .../HWI_WBP/platforms/ios/HWI_WBP/Resources/splash/Default@2x~iphone.png
cp: no such file or directory: .../HWI_WBP/res/splash/640x960.png

Copying splash from .../HWI_WBP/res/splash/640x1136.png to .../HWI_WBP/platforms/ios/HWI_WBP/Resources/splash/Default-568h@2x~iphone.png
cp: no such file or directory: .../HWI_WBP/res/splash/640x1136.png
0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

I think I understand what is not happening. The icons UI does not cover all the possible icons needed for iOS apps, this is a deficiency in the XDK. To address that deficiency, you can add additional icons using the technique outlined on this doc page: https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/docs/cordova-for-ios-build-options

0 Kudos
Henning_S_
Beginner

Hi Paul,

I followed the instructions (and corrected for my actual path and file names) but still get errors in the build log and still have most of the icons just blank. Can this possibly be a bug in either the zip or on the build server where it is not interpreting the path correctly? Is there a way to look at the zip file that gets uploaded to the build server to confirm that the files are packaged correctly?

Copying icon from .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-60.png to .../HWI_WBP/platforms/ios/HWI_WBP/Resources/icons/icon-60.png
cp: no such file or directory: .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-60.png

Copying icon from .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-60-2x.png to .../HWI_WBP/platforms/ios/HWI_WBP/Resources/icons/icon-60@2x.png
cp: no such file or directory: .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-60-2x.png

Copying icon from .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-76.png to .../HWI_WBP/platforms/ios/HWI_WBP/Resources/icons/icon-76.png
cp: no such file or directory: .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-76.png

Copying icon from .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-76-2x.png to .../HWI_WBP/platforms/ios/HWI_WBP/Resources/icons/icon-76@2x.png
cp: no such file or directory: .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-76-2x.png

Copying icon from .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-small.png to .../HWI_WBP/platforms/ios/HWI_WBP/Resources/icons/icon-small.png
cp: no such file or directory: .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-small.png

Copying icon from .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-small-2x.png to .../HWI_WBP/platforms/ios/HWI_WBP/Resources/icons/icon-small@2x.png
cp: no such file or directory: .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-small-2x.png

Copying icon from .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-40.png to .../HWI_WBP/platforms/ios/HWI_WBP/Resources/icons/icon-40.png
cp: no such file or directory: .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-40.png

Copying icon from .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-40-2x.png to .../HWI_WBP/platforms/ios/HWI_WBP/Resources/icons/icon-40@2x.png
cp: no such file or directory: .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-40-2x.png

Copying icon from .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon.png to .../HWI_WBP/platforms/ios/HWI_WBP/Resources/icons/icon.png
cp: no such file or directory: .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon.png

Copying icon from .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-2x.png to .../HWI_WBP/platforms/ios/HWI_WBP/Resources/icons/icon@2x.png
cp: no such file or directory: .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-2x.png

Copying icon from .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-72.png to .../HWI_WBP/platforms/ios/HWI_WBP/Resources/icons/icon-72.png
cp: no such file or directory: .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-72.png

Copying icon from .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-72-2x.png to .../HWI_WBP/platforms/ios/HWI_WBP/Resources/icons/icon-72@2x.png
cp: no such file or directory: .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-72-2x.png

Copying icon from .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-50.png to .../HWI_WBP/platforms/ios/HWI_WBP/Resources/icons/icon-50.png
cp: no such file or directory: .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-50.png

Copying icon from .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-50-2x.png to .../HWI_WBP/platforms/ios/HWI_WBP/Resources/icons/icon-50@2x.png
cp: no such file or directory: .../HWI_WBP/res/icon/ios/new/icon-50-2x.png

Copying splash from .../HWI_WBP/res/splash/320x480.png to .../HWI_WBP/platforms/ios/HWI_WBP/Resources/splash/Default~iphone.png
cp: no such file or directory: .../HWI_WBP/res/splash/320x480.png

Copying splash from .../HWI_WBP/res/splash/640x960.png to .../HWI_WBP/platforms/ios/HWI_WBP/Resources/splash/Default@2x~iphone.png
cp: no such file or directory: .../HWI_WBP/res/splash/640x960.png

Copying splash from .../HWI_WBP/res/splash/640x1136.png to .../HWI_WBP/platforms/ios/HWI_WBP/Resources/splash/Default-568h@2x~iphone.png
cp: no such file or directory: .../HWI_WBP/res/splash/640x1136.png

Later in the build log you can see it got 1 icon right - all the icons are in the same folder:

Image height/width = 180/180
Copied image file icon-60@3x
Copying [.../HWI_WBP/www/res/icon/ios/new/icon-60-3x.png] to [.../HWI_WBP/platforms/ios/build/device/Saude Ativa.app/icon-60@3x.png
Image height/width = 120/120
Copied image file icon-60@2x
Image height/width = 60/60
Copied image file icon-60
0 Kudos
Henning_S_
Beginner

I found the zip files in my temp folder and can confirm that all the correct icon files are in the zip that got transferred to the build server. I suspect this is a bug on the build server side. 

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Not making sense to me. I tried to reproduce on my end and I see the icons in my built app and they show up when I install them onto a real device (as well as they show up in the IPA file). My successful build also has messages like you are showing (I only filled in the icon slots in the UI, did nothing with the splash screens). I get the same messages:

Copying icon from .../forum_559079/res/icon/ios/new/icon-60.png to .../forum_559079/platforms/ios/forum_559079/Resources/icons/icon-60.png
cp: no such file or directory: .../forum_559079/res/icon/ios/new/icon-60.png

Copying icon from .../forum_559079/res/icon/ios/new/icon-60-2x.png to .../forum_559079/platforms/ios/forum_559079/Resources/icons/icon-60@2x.png
cp: no such file or directory: .../forum_559079/res/icon/ios/new/icon-60-2x.png

Copying icon from .../forum_559079/res/icon/ios/new/icon-76.png to .../forum_559079/platforms/ios/forum_559079/Resources/icons/icon-76.png
cp: no such file or directory: .../forum_559079/res/icon/ios/new/icon-76.png

Copying icon from .../forum_559079/res/icon/ios/new/icon-76-2x.png to .../forum_559079/platforms/ios/forum_559079/Resources/icons/icon-76@2x.png
cp: no such file or directory: .../forum_559079/res/icon/ios/new/icon-76-2x.png

I think that message regarding "no such file or directory" is just some overly verbose message from Cordova CLI that means "I have to create a directory before I can copy these files into the build system." Clearly, those messages are not interfering with my ability to create an app that includes icons.

0 Kudos
Henning_S_
Beginner

OK, then I am stuck. I see the icons in my zip file that gets sent to the server, but they are not in the IPA that I get back. I can't give this build to my customer as is.

I tried again by moving the images one folder up and removing the new/ from the path. I still end up with just a single correct icon in the IPA and you can even see this from later in the build log:

Processing config file values
Image height/width = 180/180
Copied image file icon-60@3x
Copying [.../HWI_WBP/www/res/icon/ios/icon-60-3x.png] to [.../HWI_WBP/platforms/ios/build/device/Saude Ativa.app/icon-60@3x.png
Image height/width = 60/60
Copied image file icon-60
Image height/width = 152/152
Copied image file icon-76@2x
Image height/width = 76/76
Copied image file icon-76
Image height/width = 40/40
Copied image file icon-40
Image height/width = 80/80
Copied image file icon-40@2x
Image height/width = 57/57
Copied image file icon
Image height/width = 114/114
Copied image file icon@2x
Image height/width = 72/72
Copied image file icon-72
Image height/width = 144/144
Copied image file icon-72@2x
Image height/width = 29/29
Copied image file icon-small
Image height/width = 58/58
Copied image file icon-small@2x
Image height/width = 50/50
Copied image file icon-50
Image height/width = 100/100
Copied image file icon-50@2x
updated icon list to ['icon', 'icon@2x', 'icon-60', 'icon-60@2x', 'icon-72', 'icon-72@2x', 'icon-76', 'icon-76@2x', 'icon-60@3x', 'icon-40', 'icon-40@2x', 'icon-small', 'icon-small@2x', 'icon-50', 'icon-50@2']

Notice how only 

Copying [.../HWI_WBP/www/res/icon/ios/icon-60-3x.png] to [.../HWI_WBP/platforms/ios/build/device/Saude Ativa.app/icon-60@3x.png

is there, all the other icons end up being blank. That is also the only one for which I do not see a "cp: no such file or directory" error. Another interesting thing - the one that works is the first one in the generated intelxdk.config.ios.xml:

<icon platform="ios" src="res/icon/ios/icon-60-3x.png" width="180" height="180"/>
<icon platform="ios" src="res/icon/ios/icon-60-2x.png" width="120" height="120"/>
<icon platform="ios" src="res/icon/ios/icon-60.png" width="60" height="60"/>
<icon platform="ios" src="res/icon/ios/icon-76-2x.png" width="152" height="152"/>
<icon platform="ios" src="res/icon/ios/icon-76.png" width="76" height="76"/>

I really need this resolved today else I need to go back to doing a local build on a Mac for iOS as my customer needs a production build by the end of the week.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Can you attach a ZIP file of your complete project directory to a private message on this thread? Use the "send author a message" link, attachments to those private messages are only accessible to you and Intel forum moderators.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

@Henning, please see PM -- your project worked for me. Not clear on what is not working correctly.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

@Henning -- As far as I can tell, my build and your build are virtually identical. I went through the built app files looking for Cordova image files. I found only one (you might want to check, as well, to be sure I covered every nook and crannie). That one image file was definitely added as part of the build, it is a file named logo.png located in the www/img directory (which does not exist in the original app source code). It has an oddball size, but that's the only file I can find in the system that might explain the icon you are seeing.

The fact that you are using a Windows machine and I am using a Mac makes no difference. The files are shipped to the cloud and built on the same server (a Mac, in the case of iOS builds). The XDK does not perform any pre-processing of the files before the build happens.

Another thing to check, I've had troubles when repeatedly installing apps on iOS devices where I sometimes have to fully remove an app before installing a new version, not always, but sometimes this is necessary. Is it possible this is what is happening?

0 Kudos
Henning_S_
Beginner

@Paul, the issue that I am seeing is that all the icon files in the .app folder in my final IPA file is not the ones that I specified to use from the www/res/icon/ios/new folder in my project. They are all (except for icon-60@3.png) just plain blank white images and not my customers app icon. 

Can you confirm whether the icon files in your IPA's .app folder it the same exact images as in the www/res/icon/ios/new folder?

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

@Henning, when I look at the icons in the .app folder in the build I made and the build you sent me I see all of the icons. I do not see any blank icons. They are exactly the icons you included in your build.

0 Kudos
Henning_S_
Beginner

Great, thanks for the confirmation!

0 Kudos