Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

license problems, expired?

Jeff_B_1
Beginner

Hi, 

I was wondering if someone could give me some basic guidance on the licensing of the Intel Fortran compilers. 

I'm the manager of our unit's Help Desk. Our group inherited providing IT support for a group of three researchers' machines that had previously installed academic copies of the Intel® Visual Fortran Composer XE for Windows. Over the last few days, all of them have reported that the compiler stopped working. The staff members who purchased and installed the licenses in their previous unit tells me that the license should be "perpetual" (just as the researchers claimed) and one passed along the license information so we could attempt to re-install to fix the program. We were also unable to do a reinstall, getting the message that the license was "invalid". I tried to look up information about the licenses and was told by the Intel site that the "Serial Number is no longer valid". This all seemed to me to point to the fact that the license had expired.

By what I'm reading here on the site, it looks like we should have purchased a renewal as the installation reached the year mark to continue using the product (and also keep receiving updates and support). Is that reading of the way the compiler is licensed correct, that it takes an annual renewal to continue using it (just like our licenses of MATLAB, etc)? If so, I can instruct the researchers to provide us with budget/fund details to place the renewal order. If the licenses had been tied to the previous support staff member, will there be any issue with my taking their serial numbers over? I appreciate your help with this hopefully quite trivial question.

Thanks!

-j 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Light_Intel

The issue had been resolved in a private communication. The following is relevant to all interested parties:

The difference between active support and expired support on a commercial product:

What does active support mean?

• Eligibility to download the newest updates of the product, including new features and fixes
  • Eligibility to get Intel Premier Support.

What does expired support mean?

• The product will still work as the license never expires
  • You will only be able to download updates released prior to the support expiration date
  • You can seek support only on the Intel Developer Zone (IDZ) forums
    https://software.intel.com/en-us/forum

This thread is now closed. If you have similar issue start a new thread.

Regards,

Noga

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Light_Intel

I will address this issue in a private communication.

Regards,

Noga

Intel Developer Support

0 Kudos
Light_Intel

The issue had been resolved in a private communication. The following is relevant to all interested parties:

The difference between active support and expired support on a commercial product:

What does active support mean?

• Eligibility to download the newest updates of the product, including new features and fixes
  • Eligibility to get Intel Premier Support.

What does expired support mean?

• The product will still work as the license never expires
  • You will only be able to download updates released prior to the support expiration date
  • You can seek support only on the Intel Developer Zone (IDZ) forums
    https://software.intel.com/en-us/forum

This thread is now closed. If you have similar issue start a new thread.

Regards,

Noga

0 Kudos