Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

<i> tag not working

Joda_B_
Beginner

The <i> tag is not working in the XDK.

I type in some text, surround it with <i> and </i> and then view it in the Emulator.    Not working!  Try it yourself.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Rakshith_K_Intel
Employee

I just checked, it works, I used the code below, create new blank project and replace contents on index.html with this and try:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
    <head>
        <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, minimum-scale=1, initial-scale=1, user-scalable=no">
    </head>
    <body>
        <p>Hello, <i>Intel</i> XDK!</p>
    </body>
</html>

Are you using any javascript UI framework? it may be over riding styles for <i>

0 Kudos
José_Manuel_G_
Beginner

Hi Joda,

As Rakshith I checked the "<i>" tag and it rules fine.

Could you check yor CSS? May be you have some CSS code overruling the default style of the "<i>" tag.

0 Kudos
Michael_O_
Beginner

Hi! Joda.

Comment out the <link> tags in your code and try it again.

0 Kudos
Joda_B_
Beginner

It is not working for me. The text is not italianized. Instead it is always english. 

Is there anything special I need to do to get it to italianize?

0 Kudos
Rakshith_K_Intel
Employee

@joda, post your full html code, did u try with the code I posted above?

0 Kudos
Joda_B_
Beginner

Hi Rakshith, 

I tried your code, but how do you know if "intel" is italianized? Isn't it the same in both languages?

I tried this:

<i>good morning</i>

But it always says "good morning", never "buon giorno".

0 Kudos
Barry_Johnson
New Contributor I

@Joda B.

I think you are misunderstanding the actual function of the <i> tag. It is for "italicizing" something, i.e. making it appear "slanted", not "italianizing" something, i.e. translating it into Italian.

:-)

0 Kudos
José_Manuel_G_
Beginner

Hi Joda!

I think you have a misunderstanding here with the "<i>" tag.

The "<i>" tag only gives format to the text, never translate it. The "<i>" tag just make the text look the same way you can see the text in this forum. You can find a full explanation of the tag here:

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_i.asp

You can review all html tags here:

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/default.asp

In English this font style is called "italic" and in spanish is called "cursiva", in Italian it's called "corsivo" (I'm not sure of it, it's a google translate, sorry).

The "<i>" tag just make the text view that way. Sorry.

0 Kudos
Joda_B_
Beginner

Well, this doesn't make any sense.  The first line in those docs you sent me to states

The <i> tag defines a part of text in an alternate voice or mood. The content of the <i> tag is usually displayed in italic.

"Displayed in italic".  That's the part I want.  

0 Kudos
Rakshith_K_Intel
Employee

@Joda italic does not mean Italian, italic means slaned text, it will just make the text within <i> slanted or sloped.

0 Kudos
José_Manuel_G_
Beginner

Hi Joda,

Sorry, but as says Rakshith, it's "italic", not "italian".

Italic is a text style, a way to see the text, not a language. Italic it's how this style is called in English, I don't know where are you from, but I'm spaniard and in spanish we call this style "cursiva". We use it to cite and quote what other person says or to give the text some relevance so the reader could notice it.

I'm sorry, but if you study HTML in English you will find this tag, and the tag "<em>", emphasized, and both of the tag will display the text in the same way, although both tags are diferent. I recomend you to search for a onlince course of HTML in your native language, where you can understand much better the tags of HTML.

0 Kudos