Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

trouble interfacing multiple camera

Saif_I_
Beginner

I am having trouble interfacing multiple intel realsense F200 cameras. I know they use PXCSenseManager to handle multiple cameras for this version, but I am not able to detect all the cameras at the same time. My objective was to select one particular camera at a particular time and then work on the next consecutively. For Intel Perceptual camera (older camera), I was able to tackle this problem by creating UtilPipeline instance. Here is a code snippet of how I was using that instance to detect multiple cameras.

PXCCapture::DeviceInfo dinfo;

memset(&dinfo,0,sizeof(dinfo));

for (int i = 0; i <numCams; i++)

{

pp = new UtilPipeline();

//set device index

dinfo.didx = i;

pp->QueryCapture()->SetFilter(&dinfo);

//Initialization, capturing frames come in this block

}

pp->Close();

pp->Release();

Can somebody help me out what needs to be changed to handle multiple cameras. Using similar concept, I was not able to connect to all the intel realsense F200 cameras. Here was what I was trying to do:

for (int i=0;i<numCams;i++)

{

PXCSenseManager *psm=PXCSenseManager::CreateInstance();

PXCCapture::DeviceInfo dinfo;

dinfo.didx=i;

psm->QueryCaptureManager()->FilterByDeviceInfo(&dinfo);

//Initializing and capturing frames in this block

psm->Release();

}

Can anybody figure out what needs to be done to detect and work with multiple cameras?? Any help will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks

Saif.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Xusheng_L_Intel
Employee

RealSense SDK is not supposed to support multiple cameras at the same time. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Saif_I_
Beginner

How about connecting multiple cameras and deal with one at a time?? Ain't it possible??

That was what i was trying to do. i was capturing images from selected camera filtered by the FilterByDeviceInfo() function in the PXCapture session. But it was failing to detect multiple cameras. I tried to see if the capture_viewer could detect multiple cameras, but it couldnot. I tried it with the older version camera (Intel Perceptual camera), and it was able to detect the multiple cameras connected to the system. 

Is there a way out with the newer camera??

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

I did a couple of tests a while ago and it seems that it is not possible to work with multiple cameras with the current RealSense SDK.

0 Kudos
Saif_I_
Beginner

So you mean that though the older camera had these features to detect multiple cameras, the newer one doesnot support this feature??

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

You are correct.

0 Kudos
SimOne_T_
Beginner

Hi,

I think it would be a huge step foward to be able to connect more than one camera.
Will support for multiple camera's in the near future be an option?

Best regards,

SIm

0 Kudos
Ricardo_Braga
Beginner

Maybe you could use different cameras in different computers in a local network.

0 Kudos
Saif_I_
Beginner

Thats what I am thinking to do. Infact, i am trying to use virtual computers for handling multiple cameras, but not sure whether it would work in this case.

0 Kudos
RBang
New Contributor II

It is possible to use multiple cameras altogether given the usage of 6 Real Sense cameras in the ASCtec Drone demo. But, it seems that the public SDK does not have this ability, as of now.

0 Kudos
Saif_I_
Beginner

Thanks Rishabh for the valuable comments. I will keep that in mind.

0 Kudos
RBang
New Contributor II

Saif I. wrote:

Thanks Rishabh for the valuable comments. I will keep that in mind.

My pleasure Saif. I myself am trying to configure multiple cameras, so will let you know if there is any development.

0 Kudos
Adam_B_
Beginner

I believe I have found a solution to running multiple cameras, though it bypasses the SDK entirely. The RealSense cameras expose themselves to Windows as generic video devices (see attached image showing two RealSense Depth devices).

I have been able to run the depth streams from 4 RealSense cameras at once. However, the only streams I have been able to use successfully are the "YUY2 314x938" streams, which are interlaced and only have 8-bit depth. The 8-bit depth limit makes the stream useless, unfortunately.

Question is: do the Z16 video streams contain the full 16-bit depth image? Also, how would one preview this? I haven't found a Media Foundation-capable application that supports this pixel format yet...

two_RealSense_cameras.png

0 Kudos
Saif_I_
Beginner

Hi Adam,

It seems like u tried that with the R200 versions. The ones in our lab are F200 cameras, wondering whether it would work in this case.

Thanks for the post though. It is deeply appreciated.

0 Kudos
Adam_B_
Beginner

I have confirmed that the Z16 streams available from the R200 in Windows Media Foundation do, indeed, contain the full depth images. We can run multiple devices easily.

Saif, if you still need multiple camera support, your F200 cameras may have similar capabilities (I don't have an F200 to test with). The Windows Media Foundation streams seem to work great, as long as you only need the raw video streams in your application.

0 Kudos
Edgar_M_
Beginner

Hi Adam

could you give a hint or better a code example on how you managed accessing the video streams of the cameras without SDK?
Would be great, I am trying to connect 4 F200 cameras.

Thanks!

Edgar

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

Hi Edgar,

You can access the cameras without the RealSense SDK as if they were a normal webcam.

0 Kudos