Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!
309 Discussions

Intel VROC software Driver Version = 7.5.0.1991 problems continued

Chucko
Novice

Intel (and moderator).  

STOP TELLING ME TO CONTACT THE OEM  (DELL).  I DID THAT ALREADY AND THEY POINTED ME HERE.

The driver that Dell offers is exactly the same as the driver that you offer.  There is nothing special or specific that Dell offers.  They just repackage the generic driver and call it good. 

I have 2 (TWO) servers exhibiting the same problem.  Stop deflecting and pointing fingers because you are too lazy or don't care about your products.

Here is the issue that I am experiencing:

On Dell PowerEdge T40 Server(s), running fully patched Windows Server 2019 Standard (as of 08/15/2021). I have two of these servers and both exhibit this issue.

Currently running RST/VROC driver software 7.0.2.1007 without issue.

Dell/Intel released new update to RST/VROC software to update driver to V7.5.0.1991. The install seems to work OK, but after the install and reboot the RST/VROC GUI will not launch.

Also tried downloading the same version from Intel Download Center and the same issue occurs.

Event logs show the following:

Faulting application name: IAStorUI.exe, version: 7.5.0.1984, time stamp: 0x5fd213d8
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.17763.2090, time stamp: 0x48c3d784
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000000000039329
Faulting process id: 0x2e4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7923731ff8c6b
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Virtual RAID on CPU\IAStorUI.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: f0d4a2a6-2ddc-4169-9b00-7c2213fbc5d3
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

and also showing:

Application: IAStorUI.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
at IAStorUtil.SystemReportProvider+<GetVrocDriversVersions>d__22.MoveNext()
at System.Linq.Buffer`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]]..ctor(System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1<System.__Canon>)
at System.Linq.OrderedEnumerable`1+<GetEnumerator>d__1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].MoveNext()
at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]]..ctor(System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1<System.__Canon>)
at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]](System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1<System.__Canon>)
at IAStorUtil.SystemReportProvider..cctor()

Exception Info: System.TypeInitializationException
at IAStorUI.App.Application_Startup(System.Object, System.Windows.StartupEventArgs)
at System.Windows.Application.OnStartup(System.Windows.StartupEventArgs)
at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1_0(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.CallbackWrapper(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
at IAStorUI.App.Main()

Does anyone have any ideas?

8 Replies
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Chucko.

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support forum for Intel VROC.

I'm currently reviewing your ticket regarding Intel VROC GUI and I will be assisting you with this.

Do you know what version of the Microsoft .NET Framework is installed?

Also, I understand you have already tried contacting the system manufacturer and they referred you back to us, did you receive any type details or additional information from them about this issue? As mentioned in the other thread, it is better to work with the system manufacturer as the driver is customized specifically for your system, and each platform implementation may be slightly different, and they can work with us directly if needed.

Regarding your system, please let me know if you can provide us a full system report using Intel SSU*:

- Download: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/25293/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html

1. Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.
  2. Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.
  3. To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

*Windows Server 2019 does not show as validated for Intel SSU, so please let me know fi you encounter any errors generating this report.

I will keep the ticket open and follow up on August 24th, but you can let me know if additional time is required.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Chucko
Novice

I received nothing of value from Dell other than  "it must be your system as we're not seeing any reports of problems" and "check the Intel support forums".

See below and attached for answers to your other inquiries.

Currently installed "classic" .NET Versions in the system:
2.0.50727.4927 Service Pack 2
3.0.30729.4926 Service Pack 2
3.5.30729.4926 Service Pack 1

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Standard response from Dell. If their magic application doesn't find something wrong then there isn't anything wrong. Re-read as: Nothing wrong that they will help you with - unless you pay us more money. What a bunch of slimebuckets...

...S

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Chucko.

Good day,

Thank you for all the information.

At this point, it is possible that this is related to the .NET Framework version.

Newer releases of the Intel VROC package do not include the installation of the Microsoft .NET Framework for the VROC GUI as this is, most of the time, included with the OS, and it is possible that your VROC 7.0.2.1007 was working fine with the one currently installed.

Installing the .NET Framework 4.7.2 or newer manually is necessary, according to our general user guide, and you can use the links provided there for the online installer, the offline installer, or check the site Microsoft site personally for newer versions.

- Please check section 6.2.1 (Page 25) for links: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/ssd-software/Windows_VROC_User_Guide.pdf

- Try to open the GUI after the installation, or if the issue persists, reinstall the VROC package after installing the .NET Framework.

You may also check section 2.6.2 (page  for more details about this, but please keep in mind this is based on our general guide and driver.

I will follow up on August 26th just in case, or please let me know if additional time is required.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
Chucko
Novice

I tried manually installing 4.7.2 from the web and offline installer and in both cases it responded with ".NET Framework 4.7.2 or a later update is already installed on this computer."

I also tried running the MS .net repair tool from this link:  Download Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool from Official Microsoft Download Center

so far no success.

0 Kudos
Chucko
Novice

Here is a couple of VROC GUI .dmp files if it of any help.  These files are from C:\ProgramData\Intel\VROC\dumps

unfortunately, they are too big to attach.  

On another note, when VROC 7.5 is installed, the system tray icon shows that the service has not been started. I looked for a service and there does not appear to be one that I can find for VROC drivers 7.5 or 7.02.  What is the service called and why does it not seem appear in the list of services?

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Chucko.

Good day,

Thank you for the information.

Please allow me to confirm and also check what other options we have and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Chucko.

Good day,

Thank you very much for your patience.

We have verified all the possible routes and there are no other recommendations we can provide.

Similar to what was mentioned in this and your previous thread, the GUI is part of the VROC package provided by the OEM, tailored for your specific system, and any type of problems with this update should be addressed directly to them, and you may also consider using their previous driver while you work with them on this or until they release a new update.

We do provide VROC packages in our site, with the difference that they are specific for Intel branded server systems, for example, if you check the following link, you will see this package is directed towards Intel branded server systems since every platform may vary, this being the reason why this is to be provided by the system manufacturer:

And by checking the OEM driver download page, you will see the supported system with only yours being listed:

With all that being said, I will proceed to close the thread; I hope you find this information useful and that you will get a solution as soon as possible.

If you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, you can always contact us back.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos