Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7425 Discussions

AC7260+Win10,and AC8265+Win10 connection issue

CChen145
Beginner

Hi I have a AC7260+Win10+Lenovo 480,another AC8265 (on Gigabyte GA-H270N-WIFI)+Win10

Both with latest driver, 19.60 and i am experience connection issue.

Both my AC8265+AC7260 experience issues at home.

The network always freeze. In windows event i can see.

"

网络接口"Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265"已开始重置。硬件重置时,网络连接将会出现短暂的中断。

原因: 网络驱动程序已请求对它进行重置。

此网络接口自上次初始化以来已重置 9 次。

"

"

EventData

IfGuid{74DB326D-5A3E-4FC4-B347-B63BF21AB4D8}IfIndex14IfLuid19985273102270464AdapterNameIntel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265ResetReason3ResetCount9

"

"

网络接口"Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260"已开始重置。硬件重置时,网络连接将会出现短暂的中断。

原因: 网络驱动程序已请求对它进行重置。

此网络接口自上次初始化以来已重置 1 次。

IfGuid{A272EEDD-01AA-473E-8192-466FA2DBD0D1}IfIndex24IfLuid19985273135824896AdapterNameIntel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260ResetReason3ResetCount1

"

AC7260 also experience issue at school. So i cannot figure out whats wrong with it.

The SSU report is generated on AC7260 at school network.

please help

Thanks.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Edward_Chen,

We understand your systems are showing wireless disconnections. Here are a few recommendations that can help in this scenario:

- Download and install the latest drivers from you https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support. Remember to remove the existing version first.

- Make sure you use the configuration mentioned in the following advisory: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005544.html Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity.

- Go to the Power options of your laptop, in the Advanced Settings for your Power Plan, and make sure that the Wireless Adapter is set to work at "Maximum Performance" when plugged in and on battery.

If the issue persists, please provide the following information:

- Has this ever worked fine?

- Were there any changes applied around the time this issue started?

- Are you able to connect to any other Wireless network?

- Provide a new SSU log, with the adapter working fine in your school or home network if possible.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
RShea1
Beginner

EDIT: Hijacking to give an event dump from one of the instances. https://pastebin.com/YwaxzGnu https://pastebin.com/YwaxzGnu

I am having the same issue with 7260, so I'm going to add my experience to what you've got to work with.

Here is what happens from my perspective:

between every 2 minutes and 2 hours my wifi goes out

if I hop on it then, I MIGHT be able to get my computer to restart or shut down normally

if I wait too long, audio and video stutter heavily and often

It's about this time my computer realizes there is no internet connection, and notifies me

if I wait too long, I'm unable to restart through any means other than a hard reset by holding the power button. The screen turns black but the shut down or restart does not complete.

If I use the troubleshooter it hangs indefinitely attempting to restart the adapter

If I try to reset the adapter, it is wholly unresponsive.

1. Drivers up to date, and also reinstalled several times.

2. Connection and power management settings are all correct, including not allowing laptop to turn off the device

3. Worked fine until a forced update that Windows sprung on me, month or two back

4. Windows update, may have been a driver update around it too, I haven't been in the habit of keeping track of these things.

5. No. It's 100% hardware or the driver. The thing becomes unresponsive and I can't even enable or disable it. Furthermore it forces me to do a hard restart every time it happens as the computer will hang indefinitely attempting to shut down or restart.

Looking through the event viewer there's a lot of event 10400

"The network interface "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets.

Reason: The network driver requested that it be reset.

This network interface has reset 6 time(s) since it was last initialized."

After the first of these messages, there were a few that read

Name resolution for the name wpad timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

Then the first message repeated, and from there it was all the first message counting up until I power cycle.

Looks like it could be some issue with the driver causing rapid reset cycles. This would explain the stuttering and that the driver is unresponsive.

This issue is causing my property actual physical harm as once the issue occurs I have to do a dangerous hard reset, and with no knowledge of what the hard drive is doing at the time.

My drivers are good. My power management is good. There's no reason to suspect it's hardware. Event viewer shows driver doing odd things.

0 Kudos
RShea1
Beginner

I have an update! I kept looking through event logs cause I wanted to see how high the counter got when I left my computer on last night, but I found this

Every single power cycle set is preceded by 3 instances of event 10016

"

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

{8D8F4F83-3594-4F07-8369-FC3C3CAE4919}

and APPID

{F72671A9-012C-4725-9D2F-2A4D32D65169}

to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool."

The only difference between the 3 are those hashes.

Furthermore, I found some event 4003 which seemed suspicious, but was not consistently found around the crashing. Maybe 1/5 of the failures had event 4003

"

WLAN AutoConfig detected limit connectivity, performing Reset/Recover.adapter.

Code: 2 0xDEADDEED 0xEEEC"

Just wanted to point this one out because it appears this could be a source of the resets.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello rdshea3,

If the issue persists after our initial recommendations, please try the following actions:

- Try disabling Fast Startup/Hybrid boot; this is a power option in Windows* that affects the way the adapter behaves. You should be able to find multiple tutorials about this topic in 3rd party websites.

- Check with the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer and update the BIOS of your PC.

For further assistance, please https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility download Intel® System Support Utility, run the tool with the connections working fine and use it to create a report with all sections, once the report is created, click on the "Next" button. In the following screen, save the report to a file. Then use the Advanced editor options of the communities to add the resulting file to your post as an attachment. Also, provide any additional information you consider relevant about the issue.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
RShea1
Beginner

Ok

1. I tried turning off fast startup, it seemed to buy me a couple hours. Now things are back to normal. Honestly it was probably just the thing working at random as it tends to do.

2. My BIOS did have one more version to update. I went ahead and did that. The last update was in 2015 so I'm not sure how much it's going to accomplish.

UPDATE While writing this I lost internet in what appeared to be the same issue, but this time the adapter was responsive, and after a brief (0.5s) system stutter it restarted. It's probably just some configuration error from power cycling ten times in the last ten minutes. I will continue to monitor however, as this may be a BIOS issue. Will have to give it through the morning to make sure, as the issue always comes up while I sleep.

UPDATE2: Nope, problem still very much here. BIOS is a no go.

3. I disabled ipv6 as I heard this would help. it almost seemed like that worked but if anything it just bought me time and now the situation is just as bad as before. No reliable change observed

Going to attach the file.

Additional info,

it happens at random, but in bursts. 0.5-2 hours uptime, then anywhere from 2-15 minutes of 30 second uptime.

It could be tied into network activity. I have observed the problem with low load on the network but it appears that high load brings more and rougher glitching.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello rdshea3,

The SSU does not indicate any possible culprits for the behavior reported, the drivers look normal and the configuration is fine as well. We will check further on it on our end.

We did notice that the error "The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID" may not be related to the wireless adapter, in fact, wireless connectivity issues should not cause system slowdown or problems shutting down. We advise you to check for this error and DCOM Troubleshooting.

Also, check if you have any applications or software that may be using the wireless connection continuously or that may be modifying the way the wireless driver behaves (ie: virtualization, live Anti-virus, streaming, etc.).

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
RShea1
Beginner

Ok, so I looked more at the event log. The COM server issues happen on boot or restart, and not in instances where the issue comes out of the blue after about an hour. They seem to be occurring separately. To be honest I don't think anything comes of those in particular.

I've double checked active processes and automatically starting up services, I have no controllers or firewalls outside of intel's drivers and the inbuilt windows 10 firewall on default settings.

I have no virtualization, antivirus is inbuilt windows. As for streaming I watch video but do not send it out.

The real trouble is for one reason or another your latest driver is telling my network adapter to restart every time it comes back up.

The only thing actually consistent with the problem is the following repeating message showing up 6 times before it appears to give up with a still unresponsive adapter.

"

The network interface "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets.

Reason: The network driver requested that it be reset.

This network interface has reset 3 time(s) since it was last initialized."

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello rdshea3,

We checked further on this and we found similar reports from some users. They have reported that using the Windows* inbox driver (17.15.0.5) resolves this issue.

Here is a brief description of the process to remove the existing driver and install the inbox one:

1. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

2. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

3. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older wireless driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the system uses its inbox driver (17.15.0.5).

Let us know if the issue is solved after these actions.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
RShea1
Beginner

Hey sorry it took me so long to get back.

It's SOLVED. A driver rollback was the key, but there were two things to keep in mind.

1. Multiple deletes, like you said

2. Windows auto-updates the drivers apparently, which threw me off. To prevent this, let it auto-update, and then use the 'rollback' feature which for me was previously unavailabl

But yea the 17.15.0.5 still works well. Been 24 hours now, and connection has dropped but the adapter didn't crash.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello rdshea3,

We are glad to know the issue was solved with the recommendations. Thanks for the additional details for this solution, we are sure this will be very helpful for other users.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos