Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7430 Discussions

AX201 can't auth RADIUS on WiFi6, WiFi5 works without problem

Jaap_Heijmenberg

Hi all,

I have a strange problem with my Surface laptop 3 and HP Probook. Both have the AX201 chip with latest intel driver provided by Microsoft/Intel (22.110.1.1)

Whenever I try to connect to my AP with WiFi6 ( Ubiquiti W6 pro) I can't authenticate with RADIUS. The network is detected but does not ask me for credentials but rather say 'can't connect to this network'. When I use the same AP without RADIUS all works fine. When I use the laptop with an WiFi5 AP (Ubiquiti AC AP PRO) I can connect to the RADIUS authenticated network. Both AP's use the same RADIUS server and settings and also share the same physical network.

I found out that if I set '802.1n/ac/ax wireless mode'  to '3. 802.11ac' in the driver properties. Then I can connect to radius Wi-Fi.

Without this setting-change I cant connect or even get a request to supply credentials on my laptops. My iPhone 13 Pro works fine btw on both AP's with RADIUS.

I use a Ubiquiti wifi6 pro access point with the latest firmware. Also I use a Windows server2022 with radius.

Please release a fix for this problem!

Thanks in advance!

Event viewer log when it fails. Surface laptop 3

WLAN AutoConfig service failed to connect to a wireless network.

Network Adapter: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz
Interface GUID: {2197c936-a39e-43f8-93e5-9a44a9d1f417}
Connection Mode: Connection to a secure network without a profile.
Profile Name: Huize Heijmenberg
SSID: Huize Heijmenberg
BSS Type: Infrastructure
Failure Reason:The specific network is not available.
RSSI: 255

Event viewer log when it fails. HP Probook

When network is forgotten.

Interface GUID: {96f4120c-b778-48e8-9596-948969f14e7c}

Connection Mode: Connection to a secure network without a profile.

Failure Reason:The specific network is not available.

When network is previously connected with WiFi5 and cant connect with wifi 6 afterwards. This happens on both laptops.

Interface GUID: {96f4120c-b778-48e8-9596-948969f14e7c}

Connection Mode: Automatic connection with a profile

Failure Reason:The driver disconnected while associating.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Steven_Intel

Hello Jaap_Heijmenberg,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to better assist you, please provide the following information:

- Was there any change before the issue started? For instance, any hardware upgrade or software or Windows update?

- Was the wireless adapter pre-installed or was it installed in your systems?

As well, we always recommend a clean installation of the latest wireless drivers, please perform a clean installation following this article: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/wireless.html

You can download the latest drivers here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351/windows-10-and-windows-11-wi-fi-drivers-for-intel-wireless-adapters.html

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Jaap_Heijmenberg

- Was there any change before the issue started? For instance, any hardware upgrade or software or Windows update?

Not that I know. I started using my WiFi6 AP and then the problems started.

- Was the wireless adapter pre-installed or was it installed in your systems?

The wireless adapters are pre-installed. A Surface laptop cant change it's network interface. Also my probook adapter is pre-installed.

I already installed the latest drivers with a clean installation. Nothing happened.

Thanks for the support already!

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello Jaap_Heijmenberg,

Thank you for your response.

We are currently working on this issue. As soon as I have an update, I will let you know.

Please feel free to reply if you have any concerns.

Regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello Jaap_Heijmenberg,

Could you please confirm if you have tried the solution in the following communities thread and still have the issue?: https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Intel-WiFi6-AX201-160Mhz-L3-Issues-with-RADIUS-Authentication/m-p/1361577/emcs_t/S2h8ZW1haWx8dG9waWNfc3Vic2NyaXB0aW9ufEtaUzdSNElZRk1VMUFFfDEzNjE1Nzd8U1VCU0NSSVBUSU9OU3xoSw#M40571

As well, based on the fact that you have already tested the latest driver version, please provide the following information:

- Provide the System Event and WLAN-AutoConfig logs. Only if possible, please provide as well a OTA trace.

- Have you tried the latest driver provided by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM)?

Regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Jaap_Heijmenberg

Sorry for the late reply. Covid got me sick... I have collected the logs and OTA trace. I have added them to this post.

I also have the latest driver from Microsoft 22.110.1.1

I hope this will help you out.

Jaap Heijmenberg

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello Jaap_Heijmenberg,

I hope you feel better.

Thank you for your response and information provided.

Could you please confirm if you tried the solution on this thread and still have the issue? https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Intel-WiFi6-AX201-160Mhz-L3-Issues-with-RADIUS-Authentication/m-p/1361577/emcs_t/S2h8ZW1haWx8dG9waWNfc3Vic2NyaXB0aW9ufEtaUzdSNElZRk1VMUFFfDEzNjE1Nzd8U1VCU0NSSVBUSU9OU3xoSw#M40571

This would help us to continue working on this.

Regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Jaap_Heijmenberg

Hi Steven,

I tried the solution of the mentioned topic. I updated to the latest driver from Intel. I still have the issue.

Regards,

Jaap Heijmenberg

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

We are still working on this issue. As soon as I have an update, I will let you know.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Steven_Intel

Hello Jaap_Heijmenberg,

I apologize for the delay. We are still working on this issue, and in order to continue with the investigation, we need you to provide traces from the AP side. For this, you need to get in contact with the AP manufacturer (Cisco or any other in your infrastucture) to get the traces.

Here is a example of files type and extension:

Wireshark_fromAP.pcapng

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Jaap_Heijmenberg

Hi Steven,

I asked Ubiquiti how to get the logs you want. I let you know when I receive the logs!

Have a good day!

Kind regards,

Jaap Heijmenberg

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for you response.

Please let us know once you have the logs in order to continue with the investigation.

Regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Jaap_Heijmenberg

Hi Steven,

Ubiquiti replied to me and suggested to turn of PMF an thus WPA3. They also told me to turn off BBS transition. 

After I did that my laptop connected immediately with RADIUS on WiFi6. If you want I can revert the changes and collect logging for your investigation. Maybe you can build a fix for the problem then.

Let me know!

Kind regards,

Jaap Heijmenberg

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

I'm glad to know you were able to connect after those steps were performed. I will check the information you have provided and then let you know if we need the logs.

Regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello Jaap_Heijmenberg,

Based on the fact that the issue was fixed from Ubiquiti side, there is no need to get the logs. In case the issue reoccurs, we recommend contacting Ubiquiti as a first option.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos