Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

AX210 won't connect to 5GHz on Windows 11 specifically.

David_Penaloza
Beginner

Hi, so I purchased the GC-WBAX210 from ASUS. As far as I'm aware, this is a regular AX210 intel module with a thermal case on and some branding. 

I can see my 2.4 and 5 GHz networks without issue, all with strong signal. I can connect to any of my 2.4 without a single issue but each and every time I want to connect to any of my 5 GHz networks, either of these things happen: 

• It connects to the network, it says that it has internet access. One second later, the web browser shows a "Network settings changed" and when I reload, it says I'm not connected to the internet. Then the wireless icon reflects that. 
  • It simply shows "Unable to connect to this network" until I reboot again. 

I've tried this without seeing any changes to this issue: 

1. Installed the latest drivers from ASUS/deleting them. 
  2. Installed the latest drivers from Intel/deleting them. 
  3. Made sure I was running on the latest BIOS. 
  4. Made sure the network card was firmly connected to the PCIe port. 
  5. Made sure there wasn't any update for Windows 11. 
  6. Made sure I was running on the latest NVIDIA drivers. 

As a last hurrah, I went into Windows+X > Device Manager > Network Adapters > WBAX210 Properties > Uninstall Device AND I checked the box that said "Attempt to remove the driver for this device".

That did the trick. After rebooting, I was able to instantly connect to my 5 GHz network and enjoy it flawlessly for 2 days. Turning off the PC didn't bring back the issue. 

Today I suddenly lost power and after rebooting, the problems came again. 

To discard hardware issues, I used my Ubuntu and Manjaro Live USBs, and without a hitch, I was able to connect to my 5 GHz. Did multiple reboots, sudden power cuts, and everything worked as it should... then back to Windows 11, and the issue is still present. I also discovered that if I manage to connect to the 5 GHz network on Windows 11, on the Wi-Fi properties panel, it detects it as a 2 GHz network, before claiming it has no internet access. 

Any leads would be super helpful. I used the search function, but wasn't able to find something similar. 

Thanks to anyone reading. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Steven_Intel

Hello David_Penaloza,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We appreciate all the information provided. In order to better assist you with this issue, please download the Intel® SSU https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything", click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  

Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". Please attach the file to your reply.

As well, could you please provide the model of your router/AP? Please make sure it has the latest firmware and that is properly configured for 5GHz.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
David_Penaloza
Beginner

Hi Steven, thanks for replying. 

The router is a Huawei EchoLife HG8245Q2. It is running on the latest firmware that my ISP provided, and it's properly configured for 5GHz, as I use it on a daily basis with that band for other devices like an iPad Pro, a Galaxy S8, and an ASUS laptop that runs Ubuntu.

I attached the summary. 

I snooped through the summary contents and I noticed that it says my AX210 driver version is: "22.0.1.5".

I thought I was on the 22.120.0.3 ones. I redownloaded them again and when I open the file, this shows up:

Updgrade_Error.png

I don't know if 22.0.1.5 is a codename for the 22.120.0.3 driver, but just wanted to point it out. 

Kind regards, 

David. 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, do not confuse Driver Version with Package Version. Many Intel driver packages - LAN, WLAN, GFX, BT, etc. - contain multiple drivers for the various hardware products that are supported. These drivers are independently numbered and their numbering is updated only when they are actually changed. As a result, you could see a new driver package be released but the driver for your particular hardware product did not change and thus it has the same version string as in previous packages.

Secondly, never rely on date-time information in Intel driver packages. In many packages - and indeed in many individual driver releases (the chipset drivers being a good example) - the date-time fields are used to carry non-date-time information. Thus, you may see a driver that appears to be from many years ago when, in fact, it is not.

I wish Intel wouldn't do either of these things, but they do and we have to live with it.

...S

0 Kudos
David_Penaloza
Beginner

Ahh thanks for clarifying that! It was, indeed, somewhat confusing to see mismatching numbers, but as you've said, that's how Intel manages these things. 

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for your response.

I would like to further investigate this, in the meantime, please make sure you have applied the recommended settings for 802.11ax connectivity as shown in this article https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057574/wireless.html and let me know of the outcome.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
David_Penaloza
Beginner

Hey Steven, thanks for reaching out. 

Yesterday I turned on my PC, and it instantly connected to the 5GHz network, just like the other time in which this lasted for a couple of days before the issues came back. 

As I'm writing this, I'm connected via 5GHz on Windows 11, and so far the connection has been spotless. All my settings were already defaulted as the shown in the link you've provided, so I left everything as it was. 

I'm hoping this time the network card will stay connected permanently, but if you're able to determine any potential issue with the info I've sent, I'll be glad to further help in any way I can. 

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Thank you for your response.

While we work on this, please let us know if you encounter connectivity issues again with the 5GHz band.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello David_Penaloza,

We would like to know if you encountered any more issues with the 5GHz band.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Since we have not heard back from you, we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos