Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7441 Discussions

Any ETA in Windows/Hotspot 20MHz bug?

hong620
New Contributor I

i've seen this bug over 2 years but still Microsoft seems ignore or obsolete on maintaining they're code on Windows 10 Hotspot function.

Especially Many Occlus Quest / Quest 2 users Purchase Intel AX200 or AX210 for mirroring/wireless link with Desktop/Laptop.

but when after realize those Windows side bug makes can't use capability of Wifi Card,

everyone cost entire separated wifi5/6 router and connect to pc for just those.

this is quite strange, that somehow Microsoft side SW bug on this is got bizarre workaround.

https://pastebin.com/kJyCgNBm

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/jfdsh5/windows_10_mobile_hotspot_not_working_for_quest_2/gl80rgf/

1. Make 5Ghz Hotspot from Phone

2. connect to phone hotspot from windows pc as client

3. when after connection establish, turn windows's hotspot in 5GHz mode

4. connect to windows hotspot from target device(VR hw, phone, tablet, other windows pc things)

this kind of odd workaround can forcing 80MHz/160MHz Channel width on Windows hotspot from AX200/210

(there's still Jitter issue from periodically scan but it's another issue so nvm)

so it's totally not a HW or driver limitation from intel side, but i'm still dunno why microsoft didn't fix this over 2 years even Partner Companies suffer and damaged in they're business on B2C quite a lot..

especially this 6E 6GHz and smarthome connection and biometric, credential things in nowdays,

this bug seems quite critical. not only on VR, Remote Desktop things.

many TV, Smartwatch and fit, phones are affect on those 20MHz limitation bug on Windows Hotspot.

hope to Intel hardly pushing this over 2 Years stupid sw bug issue to Microsoft.

personally i've purchase AX200 quite early days but still can't use it as Advertised Wifi-AX bandwidth thing properly cause i'm grab this for use my desktop as Homenetwork Host to work as Central Hurb.

guess other customers grab AX200/201/210 for those purpose would be same as me.

hope to Intel deal with Microsoft on this issue fast.

already Wintel PC loss many potential as homenetwork position from Apple and Samsung kind IoT Platformers.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @hong620

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Regarding your inquiries, please allow us to look into this and we will be providing more details (if available) as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello hong620

Regarding your inquiries, we can confirm that the Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 (Gig+) supports the band 6 GHz; however, to be able to use this band the whole system configuration should support it (operating system, computer, Router/Modem, etc). We don't have an ETA and at the moment there is no official information from Windows* regarding the support of the 6 GHz band or how to activate it. We found several users online providing workarounds to use the band. Our best recommendation is to contact Microsoft* Support directly for official information and guidance that will not compromise your system stability. 

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
hong620
New Contributor I

i dunno what's your talking about, but this issue are not related with 6Ghz 6E band,

both AX200/201/210 affect on this long time windows bug.

many times peoples report this to microsoft but seems they're even notice the existence of issue seem so.

whether you've using any Intel Wifi Network Adaptor as Hotspot on Windows, every Products are Only avariable to use 20MHz channel width to limit bandwitdh as 287(or 286)MBps.

only workaround this issue is as i've describe in thread, connect to other Wifi from adaptor first then turn hotspot on adaptor for connect with device.

there's tons of same issue crawling over thread in Intel Community Forum and Microsoft Support Forum but not sure why every Technician doesn't recognize and listing in this issue over a decades.

if you're interested in this issue, try test on your phone and windows 10 device's hotspot function and check via taskmanager or client device wifi setting UI, or search some simmilar issue in Occulus Quest 2 Related forum and reddit threads.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello hong620

Thank you for your response.

From your initial post, you were pointing out this especially for the band 6 GHz (... "especially this 6E 6GHz..."). We apologize if there was a misunderstanding. Please kindly allow us to double-check this and we will be posting back as soon as more details are available or if further information is required.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello hong620

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After reviewing this further ("only 20MHz channel width available when using wireless adapters as a hotspot"), we would like to inform you that this is by Microsoft* design and not our drivers. You can raise it to Microsoft, but there are several Microsoft forums and official pages that talk about this.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this inquiry now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
hong620
New Contributor I

As already decribed in post,

tons of peoples talk to Microsoft Foum and official pages and feedback program as you've said.

2021, 2020, 2019 even 2018 but they're not even officially answer those once.

as already i've said it's critical flaw that makes Intel Products as 'implied false advertise' state that even Intel Products got capability to dealing over 20Mhz channel width as Hotspot already in both Tech, Legal way.

this huge problem should end here either intel or microsoft responsibility pingpong.

there's any legal regulation exist for makes windows PC limit upstream wifi as 297Mbps?

as i've known other tons of wireless router and products broadcast upper 40~80 160Mhz width already but there's no legal restriction on them.

just Pushing this issue hard to Microsoft as Intel Official, this typical software flaw garbage by Microsoft makes many peoples Desktop and Laptop, Intel Wifi Card as Garbage to refund.

0 Kudos