Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Bluetooth disconnects after attempting to connect

Dusko
New Contributor I

I am trying to connect my Nokia 8 to my PC but without success so far.

It connects, but it will automatically drop a connection after a second or two. I have reproduced this problem and recorded it in an attachment to this post.

I need to mention that my phone was connecting properly on my previous
Windows 10 version 1909, with a Bluetooth driver version of 21.120.0

Note:

During this writing, I have stumbled upon something interesting on TechPowerup. I've also added this screenshot to an attachment, maybe this is the problem that is similar to mine.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/intel-wireless-bluetooth-drivers/

In the previous Bluetooth driver changelog it says something about not connecting to a second HID/LE device but I do not have any other device as far as I know.

sshot-2020-12-26-[08-55-23].jpg

Interestingly, my device is named "Bluetooth Network Connection 2" for some reason. I don't remember having connection "1".

sshot-2020-12-26-[11-32-07].jpg

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Have you tried doing a clean install of the Wireless and Bluetooth drivers? This is recommended after doing Windows 10 upgrades.
...S
0 Kudos
Dusko
New Contributor I

Hello Scott, thanks for replying.

I found your guide here:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Wireless-Dual-Band-AC-7260-Bluetooth-issues-with-Windows-10-2004/m-p/1214463/highlight/true#M31097

so I did that step-by-step exactly as described but without success.

Bluetooth connection behaves the same as before, it drops connection almost immediately after I try to

connect my phone. Wi-Fi is working properly though, as always. Is there anything else I should try to do?

0 Kudos
Dusko
New Contributor I

I forgot to add a result of an SSU scan after I've done a clean install of Bluetooth and Wireless drivers.

My phone still cannot connect.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Dusko, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

I just wanted to check if the problem with the Bluetooth connection still persists and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Dusko
New Contributor I

Hi Alberto, thanks for replying.

As you can see in the previous messages, I've tried to connect my Nokia 8 phone to my PC but without success. That is happening after I updated my PC from Windows 1909 to 2004 using windows update, and then almost immediately to the 20H2 but using Windows Media Creation Tool to upgrade to the latest version.

Then, after the installation was finished, I saw that the "Bluetooth" connection is now a "Bluetooth 2" connection but nevertheless, I tried to connect my phone as usual, but now the phone will not stay connected so I cannot use it for phone calls anymore.
It can pair and send/receive files but, for example, I cannot use Microsoft's Your Phone app from the Windows Store because the phone will not stay connected. I have recorded my steps in order to reproduce the problem, so you can see what is all about.

So far, I tried to clean install my Bluetooth and Wi-Fi drivers in the exact same order the Scott proposed, and the problem still persists.

Please, see if you can do anything on this matter.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi Dusko, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information.

We are sorry to hear the problem persists, just to let you know, we always recommend to install the Wireless driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was heavily customized by them to work with your specific platform.

I looked on ASUS web site and for some reason there are no drivers available for your motherboard as you can confirm here:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-Z390-PLUS-GAMING-WI-FI/HelpDesk/

So, in this case, the next thing to do will be to get in contact directly with ASUS support for them to confirm if they have a Wireless driver available for their board, to verify if there is a firmware update for it, and to verify if a physical inspection is needed since the problem could also be related to a faulty component on the motherboard itself:

https://www.asus.com/support/

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Dusko
New Contributor I

Next step

I was thinking about what should I do next and decided to contact ASUS support
in order to ask them about their wireless drivers. In the meantime I found
their proper page for drivers as they are now located here for my motherboard:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-Z390-PLUS-GAMING-WI-FI/HelpDesk_Download/

I have downloaded both the Wi-Fi v21.70.0.6 and Bluetooth v21.70.0.3 drivers
as they are listed as the latest for my motherboard.

Installation

I took my spare Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB drive and decided to install clean Windows 20H2 OS (Build 19042.685) just to check if the problem exists with these drivers on a fresh system install.

The system booted and I have installed Wi-Fi v21.70.0.6 and Bluetooth v21.70.0.3
but it seems that they are not working.

Just to be sure that these drivers are not the culprits, I have downloaded the latest Wi-Fi and Bluetooth driver versions v22.10.0. and installed them after the manufacturer ones. Again, the Bluetooth connection cannot stay in a connected state.

Opinion

It seems that the main culprit here is, in my opinion so far, Microsoft's OS version 20H2 because Bluetooth stays in a connected mode on my older Windows 1909 with both Bluetooth v21.70.0.6 and even v21.120.0.4 driver.

The only thing I haven't tested was Bluetooth v22.10.0 on the Windows 1909 version, but I don't think that's necessary. Earlier versions of bluetooth drivers worked great just fine on the previous OS build, so I guess the latest version should work there as well.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Dusko, Thank you very much for sharing those details.

We are sorry to hear the issue persisted after installing the drivers provided by ASUS.  We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Dusko
New Contributor I

Please do that, I'm running out of ideas of what I could try to do next. Thank you for your commitment so far.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Dusko, You are very welcome, thank you very much for your response.

Just to confirm, while we continue with our research on this matter and if you have the option of course, do you have the opportunity to connect another Bluetooth device, maybe another phone to your computer? This is basically just to confirm if the behavior is the same or if it manages to properly maintain the Bluetooth connection once established.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Dusko
New Contributor I

Hi Alberto, thank you for your engagement.

As you suggested, I have connected the two other phones that I have and one small Bluetooth mouse that I have used before on my machine.

Connecting other devices

1. The first phone was an LG L70 D320, it paired but didn't maintain a connected state as you can see on a 2021-01-09_07-31-20_LG_L70_D320.mp4 recording.

I have pictured both my PC and an LG phone from my Nokia for you to see, that is IMG_20210109_074152_LG_L70_D320_marked.jpg file.

2. After that I have connected my Bluetooth mouse and it works fine, except that Control Panel shows "Not connected", and the mouse needs some time to connect. Other than that, it stays connected so I can use it. That was shown on a 2021-01-09_07-55-59_Bluetooth_Mouse.mp4 recording.

3. The last device that I've tried to connect to was Nokia 4.2. That was the first connection attempt but was unsuccessful again exactly like on my Nokia 8, and an LG L70 D320 phone. You can see that on the 2021-01-09_08-02-29_Nokia_4.2_first_pairing recording.

I have made another video but recorded the whole monitor with a Nokia 4.2 for you to see the unsuccessful connection. That is shown on a VID_20210109_080821_Nokia_4.2_subsequent_connection_attempt.mp4 file.

I have tried to document these steps as accurately as possible, so I hope they will help in your research.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi Dusko, You are very welcome, thank you very much for sharing those updates and the and the pictures and the video, they were very useful.

We will continue with your research on this matter, as soon as I get more results I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi Dusko, I just received an update on this matter.

After reviewing the case, we determine that this problem is mostly related to the Operating System configuration, did you try to check the WPA authentication to be set to WPA2?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Dusko
New Contributor I

Hi Alberto,

I'm not quite sure what exactly you mean by the WPA2 setting?
Can you tell me where to find that setting because I don't know where it changes?

I only know about these settings that are on the router's page, it says as attached in the picture.

sshot-2021-01-13-[21-31-35].jpg

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi Dusko, Thank you very much for letting us know those details.

"I only know about these settings that are on the router's page", yes, that is correct, that is the right place on the Router's settings and actually that is the correct option as well.

So, at this point, what we recommend is basically what we suggested previously, to get in contact directly with ASUS in order to verify if they have a customized Wireless driver tested and validated by them, also if there is a BIOS update related to the new version of the Operating System, Windows* version 2004 or higher and physical inspection of the board to make sure there is no hardware issue with none of the components in your system:

https://www.asus.com/support/

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos