Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7646 Discussions

BullseyeCoverageError.txt text file in Windows user directory after Bluetooth driver update

blueskynoise
Beginner

Today I got a Bluetooth driver update from the Intel Driver Support Assistant. Afterwards, a text file appeared in my home directory called "BullseyeCoverageError". These are its contents:

2023-03-29 17:06:44 BullseyeCoverage 8.25.21 error 15: Cannot find C:\WINDOWS\Temp\c1ebaa65fb9a5d9919cd16f0124f31fea01772/test.cov, errno=2 "The system cannot find the file specified. ". COVFILE is not set. Program=c:/Users/gjayap/HaraHaraMahDev/ibt_core-win-hsw/ibt_win_src/06-host_sw/win/bin/setupres/Release/Win32/setupenu.dll

I was at first extremely concerned, seeing a username that was most certainly NOT my own and the strange folder name. Also it was clearly trying to interact with my core system files, which was worrying from some unknown source.

But thankfully a few other users did report this happening to them as well, and it seems to be tied into the most recent Bluetooth update pushed by Intel Driver Support Assistant. 

I wanted to report this both so that Intel can be aware of and perhaps fix this accidental log file generation on end users' systems -- I don't know if there are any security concerns here, if we are maybe seeing a username and folder structure from one of your developers? -- and I also hope that anyone else worried about this strange text file may stumble upon this thread and get some answers.

For what it's worth, I am using Windows 11, and I was experiencing issues with EVERYTHING i tried to install when this happened, so that includes the driver update. I don't know how it happened,. but my msiexec AKA windows installer service was broken. No matter what I tried to install, the install wizard would just freeze and do absolutely nothing no matter how long I waited. No errors, just...nothing. I tried every bit of troubleshooting I could find trying to fix it, but ultimately had to completely reinstall Windows to be able to install applications again.

18 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello blueskynoise,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your wireless adapter.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Did the issue "installing app/drivers" that you mentioned happened before or after you see the strange folder?

2. What is the brand and model name of your wireless adapter?

3. Is this a laptop or desktop computer? 

4. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed on your computer or did you change/install the adapter to this one?  

5. Did the strange folder remain after the Windows reinstallation?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

blueskynoise
Beginner
Hello,

Sorry, I probably should have worded this more clearly: I was experiencing a system-wide problem with installing any and all applications, drivers, and Windows updates. This problem began well before the Intel Bluetooth update, and I do not think they are at all related. The Bluetooth update was just one of many installs that ended up failing, so I wondered if the fact that it failed was what caused the text file to be generated. But I DO NOT think that the Bluetooth update caused the actual installation problem. In fact I am sure of it, because I was experiencing those problems for at least a week beforehand. It definitely was not Intel’s fault or the Bluetooth driver’s fault.

But I do wonder if the failure to install was what caused the creation of the text file. I wonder if those users who had a successful driver update never had this text file appear, since there’s only a very small number of us reporting this. Maybe it’s those of us who the update failed for. But the driver itself I don’t think caused the failures.

That being said, if this information is still helpful, I am using a laptop with its original wireless adapter. And the adapter is a Killer WiFi 6 AX1650i.

Reinstalling Windows fixed my installation problem and everything seems completely fine now, but the text file is still there. But that makes sense, because I reinstalled while preserving personal files, so Windows would not have deleted it or any other non-system text files in my user directory.
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello blueskynoise, 

Thanks for the additional information. In this case, the problem with the file could have been caused by the "installing" issue, but there is no way to be sure.

I recommend you check with Microsoft to confirm if there are any reports from their side. Since the issue was fixed after the Windows reinstallation, let me know if you would like to close this thread.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello blueskynoise, 

After checking your thread, I would like to know if you need further assistance. 

If so, please let me know. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello blueskynoise, 

I was checking your thread and see that we have not heard back from you.  

I’m going to close your post, but if you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to create a new thread. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Sjfke
Beginner

Hi... I have exactly the same error....

So far the only issue is not being able to update OneNote via the Microsoft Store.

I'll wait for your reply *before* trying to fix... first step will be Cleaner Registry clean up.

2023-03-24 10:17:08 BullseyeCoverage 8.25.21 error 15: Cannot find C:\WINDOWS\Temp\da14fc5edcdde95d23ab09780013827cfb7e12/test.cov, errno=2 "The system cannot find the file specified. ". COVFILE is not set. Program=c:/Users/gjayap/HaraHaraMahDev/ibt_core-win-hsw/ibt_win_src/06-host_sw/win/bin/setupres/Release/Win32/setupenu.dll

Who the hell is 'gjayap'? Maybe an Intel developer?

The error corresponds to the exact installation date/timebullseyecoverage.png

1d10t
New Contributor I

The Intel Bluetooth driver install file "BT-22.210.0-64UWD-Win10-Win11.exe" contains the same strings that were found in the Intel Bluetooth driver install file "BT-22.200.0-32-64UWD-Win10-Win11.exe". Please review the Source Code.

Will an Intel Developer check the following .cpp files:

appcore.cpp
array_s.cpp
auxdata.cpp
filecore.cpp
fileutil.cpp
memutil.cpp
oledrop2.cpp
oleipfrm.cpp
olestrm.cpp
PrintEula.cpp
strutil.cpp
viewcore.cpp
wcalog.cpp
wcautil.cpp
wcawrap.cpp
winctrl2.cpp
winfrm.cpp

//

Will an Intel Developer check the following .pdb files.

C:\agent\_work\8\s\build\ship\x86\uica.pdb
C:\Users\gjayap\HaraHaraMahDev\ibt_core-win-hsw\ibt_win_src\06-host_sw\win\bin\setupres\Release\Win32\setupENU.pdb
C:\Users\gjayap\Siva_06102020\ibt_core-win-hsw\ibt_win_src\06-host_sw\win\bin\setupres\Release\Win32\setupENU.pdb
D:\Jenkins\workspace\BCP_DEV\4597\Windriver\PHBTW8876\src\ibt_win_src\06-host_sw\win\bin\customactions\Release\Win32\customactions.pdb
D:\Jenkins\workspace\BCP_DEV\4597\Windriver\PHBTW8876\src\ibt_win_src\06-host_sw\win\bin\setup\Release\Win32\WirelessSetup.pdb
D:\jkp\workspace\SFX_BUILDER\865\SFX_BUILDER00989\Source\SFX_Builder\Release\SFX.pdb

//

The strange strings in the Bluetooth Driver install file "BT-22.200.0-32-64UWD-Win10-Win11.exe" .

c:/Users/gjayap/HaraHaraMahDev/ibt_core-win-hsw/ibt_win_src/06-host_sw/win/bin/setupres/Release/Win32/setupenu.dll
\BullseyeCoverageEnv.txt
BullseyeCoverage 8.25.21
Copyright (c) Bullseye Testing Technology
BullseyeCoverage 8.20.0
Cannot open error log. Check COVERR
test.cov
2: Wrong coverage file. Use same coverage file for building and running. Expected fileId=%x (%2). Object %1 (%x). Actual fileId=%x %s
2: Wrong coverage file. Use same coverage files for building and running. Expected fileId=%x (%2). Object %1 (%x)
3: File lock error on %s, errno=%u "%e"
4: Object missing. Path is %s fileId=%x. Object %1 (%x)
6: Corrupt file %s at %x
7: Object mismatch. Check coverage file is same one created when building. Path %s fileId=%x. Object %1 (%x). %u!=%u
8: atexit failed, errno=%u "%e"
13: Thread creation failed, errno=%u "%e"
15: Cannot find %s, errno=%u "%e". COVFILE is not set
16: Cannot open %s, errno=%u "%e"
17: Coverage file %s is empty. Set COVFILE to the coverage file created during instrumentation
18: Not a BullseyeCoverage file or wrong version: %s: '%s'
23: Memory corrupt in .bss %s %s
24: Memory corrupt in .const %s
25: Internal error
27: Invalid file descriptor
28: Wait for thread failed, errno=%u "%e"
29: read error on %s at %x, errno=%u "%e"
30: write error on %s at %x, errno=%u "%e"
31: seek error on %s at %x, errno=%u "%e"
32: close error on %s, errno=%u "%e"
33: memory allocation failure
Local\BullseyeCoverage--------
USERPROFILE
TMP
\BullseyeCoverageError.txt
ntdll.dll
DbgPrintEx
COVAUTOSAVE
COVFILELIST
COVFILE
error
. Program=
COVERR
(probe)
(check)
(count)
COVNOSAVE

//

0 Kudos
1d10t
New Contributor I

Intel file BT-22.200.0-32-64UWD-Win10-Win11.exe contains the information.

Intel developers need to inspect the Source Code and Libraries used to compile the executable file.

Download the strings64.exe from Microsoft and use it to inspect the Intel file BT-22.200.0-32-64UWD-Win10-Win11.exe.

Maybe a Malicious State Actor has breached Intel's Source Code and added undocumented features to it.

This is an Intel issue, and not an issue with users or their Computers.

Intel Wireless Bluetooth driver v 22.200.0.2
BT-22.200.0-32-64UWD-Win10-Win11.exe 02/27/2023 10:25 (50,424 KB)

Their executable file contains the following strings:

C:\Users\gjayap\HaraHaraMahDev\ibt_core-win-hsw\ibt_win_src\06-host_sw\win\bin\setupres\Release\Win32\setupENU.pdb
c:/Users/gjayap/HaraHaraMahDev/ibt_core-win-hsw/ibt_win_src/06-host_sw/win/bin/setupres/Release/Win32/setupenu.dll
C:\Users\gjayap\Siva_06102020\ibt_core-win-hsw\ibt_win_src\06-host_sw\win\bin\setupres\Release\Win32\setupENU.pdb
BullseyeCoverage 8.25.21
Copyright (c) Bullseye Testing Technology
BullseyeCoverage 8.20.0
COVFILE

Review the Source Code.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I found the file BT-22.200.0-32-64UWD-Win10-Win11.exe on Softpedia:

https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/BLUETOOTH/Intel/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-Driver-22-200-0.shtml

If  you look at location 000012513FA you will find gjayap, as well as multiple other locations in this exe.

I found the file BT-22.200.0-32-64UWD-Win10-Win11.exe on Intel:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18649/768309/intel-wireless-bluetooth-for-windows-10-and-windows-11.html

Same thing.  the string gjayap is there, in multiple locations.

So, I found the latest file BT-22.210.0-64UWD-Win10-Win11.exe on Intel.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18649/intel-wireless-bluetooth-for-windows-10-and-windows-11.html

Again, same thing.  The string gjayap is there as well.

I checked FOURTEEN of my machines, all of which have BT, and none of the footprints reported by those affected existed.

However, this clearly shows that there is some code, whether it be debug or test code, left behind, by one of the Intel developers or contractors, present in these files

Although I am not affected by this, it only took a few minutes to collect this information.  I am appalled that this situation has been posted for two weeks, and there is no mention or confirmation from Intel that the strings reported by the various forum users have been investigated any further.

@1d10t and @blueskynoise and @Sjfke and @DeeMentedBeauty  deserve an answer after two weeks of inaction.

And, @Steven_Intel  and @DeividA_Intel  could do a lot more to help rather than dismiss this issue.

The other thread reporting this is :

https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Odd-text-on-screen-user-GJAYAP-Not-sure-where-it-is-from/m-p/1470862

@Ronny_G_Intel Can you look at this and help with getting a resolution?

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

Sjfke
Beginner

Thanks guys for finally getting some traction on this issue...

Like the other posts suggest ... please look into why this is happening, and let us know what to do especially if this is a security breach.

I successfully applied this months Microsoft patches and the OneNote issue was fixed by opening the application and it warns I need to install an update, which I did and Microsoft Store update no longer appears. So my personal Windows 11 Home Edition laptop appears to be OK.

FWIW: I actually applied two updates at the same time, Wifi and Bluetooth, see attached image.

Running "CCleaner" (quoted to avoid auto-correction messing with it like last time), I checked the registry and I did not see anything reported related to either of these Intel updates, just the usual garbage left behind from various other updates.

Sjfke (https://github.com/sjfke)

1d10t
New Contributor I

Intel Customer Support - Case #: 05821243

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

The wheels turn slowly, but it seems they are turning.

1d10t
New Contributor I

Reply from Intel Technical Support.

Hello James,

Thank you for waiting for our response,

We already did the research about the issue and we don't have any other reports about this issue, also while checking the log file we noticed the directory in place is not the location for a Bluetooth driver.

I don't think so, I know that Drivers are not placed in the users home directory, however your Driver Update is placing the file “BullseyeCoverageError.txt” there.

Have you checked the Intel Community or Microsoft? I Have.

BullseyeCoverageError.txt text file in Windows user directory after Bluetooth driver update (First Reported 03-30-2023)

https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/BullseyeCoverageError-txt-text-file-in-Windows-user-directory/m-p/1471436

Odd text on screen- user GJAYAP? Not sure where it is from (First Reported 03-28-2023)

https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Odd-text-on-screen-user-GJAYAP-Not-sure-where-it-is-from/m-p/1477231

Unexpected Text file in my Windows home dir after updating BlueTooth Wireless driver (First Reported 03-08-2023)

https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Unexpected-Text-file-in-my-Windows-home-dir-after-updating/td-p/1463229/

I found a BullsEyeCoverageError.txt and it seems suspicious for me because I don't know what it is for. (First Reported 03-28-2023)

https://answers.microsoft.com/tr-tr/windows/forum/all/i-found-a-bullseyecoverageerrortxt-and-it-seems/9f536848-188e-4f6b-ac00-23a6a3325f2c

Our recommendation is to contact the Original Equipment Manufacturer of the computer as this could be related to Bullseye Coverage Tool or Unity bug as seen in this thread

https://forum.unity.com/threads/bullseyecoverageerror.602257/

This information is over four years old. (Dec 22, 2018, Dec 31, 2018, Jan 3, 2019, Feb 5, 2019, Feb 11, 2019, Feb 20, 2019)

Please let us know if you agree to proceed with the case closure since this a error not related with our product.

Definitively, do not close until the issue is resolved.

I have proved that the Intel Wireless Bluetooth driver "BT-22.200.0-32-64UWD-Win10-Win11.exe" contains code related to these issues.

I have proved that the Intel Wireless Bluetooth driver "BT-22.210.0-64UWD-Win10-Win11.exe" contains code related to these issues too.

Looking forward to hearing from you. In case we do not get a response within the next 3 business days we will contact you back

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Dex
Beginner

Has this issue ever been resolved or is Intel just stonewalling?

I just found the BullsEyeCoverage file on my machine today while trying to find something else. A quick Google search brought me here.

After seeing this thread I checked my driver install history with Intel and the timestamp on the installation of a Bluetooth driver in March is identical to the time listed in the Bullseye file and the date modified info on the file itself.

The driver install and the file creation both happened at 9:11 AM on 3/26/23.

Kind of hard not to believe they are related.

I've attached a copy of both my install history and the Bullseye file.

Thanks

AlHill
Super User

To my knowledge, it has not been addressed.  I check a version of the BT driver yesterday on the Intel downloads and it still had the trash included.  Intel appears to not understand what "code review" is and is letting development (possibily 3rd party) go unchecked.   Probably due to a lack of experienced managers in development.

I have a very large soapbox regarding this issue, and unnecessary apps and such being placed in drivers (arc/xe driver for example).   This is going to bite Intel in the a$$ one day...

pabo9901
Beginner

It is well down the road but I who am just a regular user noticed this in my user library just last night. A quick search brought me here today and I to am perplexed as to what and why. I will search on but there does not yet seem to be a solution. I am not a super user and a clean install is my only course of action but the trouble this involves makes me want to avoid this.

Have you found a solution Intel?

WiFi adapter AC 9560

I have all the updates using your Support Assistant

Bluetooth

• Version10.0.22621.1555
  • Date6/21/2006

AC 9560

• Driver DetailsUp to date
  • ProviderIntel
  • Version22.230.0.8
  • Date5/9/2023
  • Device Details
  • ManufacturerIntel Corporation
  • AvailabilityRunning at full power
  • StatusThis device is working properly.
  • InstalledTrue
  • MAC Address24:EE:9A:31:D9:54
  • Service NameNetwtw08
  • Device IdPCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A370&SUBSYS_00348086&REV_10\3&11583659&0&A3
  • Revision10

1d10t
New Contributor I

No need to do a clean install.

I believe the Intel developers are responsible for this issue. 

Intel Support Request 05821243, opened 04/17/2023, closed 05/04/2023.

The following are all related.

//
Posted Re: Re:Odd text on screen- user GJAYAP? Not sure where it is from on Wireless.
‎04-17-2023 11:34 AM
https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Odd-text-on-screen-user-GJAYAP-Not-sure-where-it-is-from/m-p/1477544#M46957
//
Posted Re: BullseyeCoverageError.txt text file in Windows user directory after Bluetooth driver update on Wireless.
‎04-17-2023 07:12 PM
https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/BullseyeCoverageError-txt-text-file-in-Windows-user-directory/m-p/1477697#M46976
//
Posted Re: Odd text on screen- user GJAYAP? Not sure where it is from on Wireless.
‎04-17-2023 07:12 PM
https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Odd-text-on-screen-user-GJAYAP-Not-sure-where-it-is-from/m-p/1477699#M46977
//
Posted Re: Re:Odd text on screen- user GJAYAP? Not sure where it is from on Wireless.
‎04-20-2023 01:42 AM
https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Odd-text-on-screen-user-GJAYAP-Not-sure-where-it-is-from/m-p/1478599#M47037
//
Posted Re: Unexpected Text file in my Windows home dir after updating BlueTooth Wireless driver on Wireless.
‎04-20-2023 01:49 AM
https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Unexpected-Text-file-in-my-Windows-home-dir-after-updating/m-p/1478602#M47038
//
Posted Re: Re:BullseyeCoverageError.txt text file in Windows user directory after Bluetooth driver update on Wireless.
‎04-20-2023 01:52 AM
https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/BullseyeCoverageError-txt-text-file-in-Windows-user-directory/m-p/1478603#M47039
//
Posted Re: Unexpected Text file in my Windows home dir after updating BlueTooth Wireless driver on Wireless.
‎04-23-2023 07:40 PM
https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Unexpected-Text-file-in-my-Windows-home-dir-after-updating/m-p/1479421#M47112
//
Posted Re: BullseyeCoverageError.txt text file in Windows user directory after Bluetooth driver update on Wireless.
‎04-23-2023 07:40 PM
https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/BullseyeCoverageError-txt-text-file-in-Windows-user-directory/m-p/1479422#M47113
//
Posted Re: Odd text on screen- user GJAYAP? Not sure where it is from on Wireless.
‎04-23-2023 07:41 PM
https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Odd-text-on-screen-user-GJAYAP-Not-sure-where-it-is-from/m-p/1479423#M47114
//
‎04-23-2023 07:41 PM
https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Unexpected-Text-file-in-my-Windows-home-dir-after-updating/m-p/1479424#M47115
//
‎06-21-2023 12:50 PM
https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Odd-text-on-screen-user-GJAYAP-Not-sure-where-it-is-from/m-p/1497842#M48336
//
‎06-21-2023 02:03 PM
https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Odd-text-on-screen-user-GJAYAP-Not-sure-where-it-is-from/m-p/1497863#M48340
//
‎06-21-2023 03:40 PM
https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Odd-text-on-screen-user-GJAYAP-Not-sure-where-it-is-from/m-p/1497903#M48345
//

0 Kudos
Leen01
Beginner

How come this is still not solved?? It seems Intel staff is ignoring this issue completely!

This thread started 03-30-2023!!

Today I reinstalled my PC and AFTER installing the Bluetooth Driver version 22.200.0.2 the file BullseyeCoverageError.txt is in USERS\USERNAME

2024-05-18 18:26:58 BullseyeCoverage 8.25.21 error 15: Cannot find C:\Windows\Temp\c9fdce9ccb4d496d736c678b394b7030e5cda8/test.cov, errno=2 "The system cannot find the file specified. ". COVFILE is not set. Program=c:/Users/gjayap/HaraHaraMahDev/ibt_core-win-hsw/ibt_win_src/06-host_sw/win/bin/setupres/Release/Win32/setupenu.dll

I don't like it when software messes with my folders/files, so fix this please.

0 Kudos