Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Drivers for Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Card?

SSyno
Novice

Just put a new system together and installed an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 in it. Used Windows 8 Pro. x64. I cannot find drivers for the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260.

Anyone know where I can get drivers for this card? I purchased the card from Provantage.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hello Synomenon,

The drivers will be released soon; this is because the product has not been officially released yet.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
183 Replies
wface
Beginner

ryanvade wrote:

Wireless is not an option in Network Manager.

[ 22.806873] iwlwifi 0000:0a:00.0: request for firmware file 'iwlwifi-7260-6.ucode' failed.

The wireless-testing kernel should be looking for iwlwifi-7.ucode not 6. That's why NM doesn't give a wireless option, It thinks there's no wireless hardware to have options for. Are you sure you booted into the correct kernel? Best guess is that grub wasn't updated after you installed the kernel. I see that happen all the time. The terminal says it's updating grub but when you reboot, there's no new kernel.

I always (at least when I remember to) run sudo update-grub after any kernel installs, updates, etc.

0 Kudos
ROwen2
New Contributor I

Yes, I checked the kernel version after booting with uname -a. Correct kernel. Yes, I know it should be using API 7 not 6. Very odd. I just built kernel 3.11-rc1 and rebuilt wireless-testing. Going to try them and see what happens.

0 Kudos
ROwen2
New Contributor I

I tried 3.11-rc1 and the wireless-testing kernels. Now I am not getting any firmware errors, but no wireless. AT ALL. But the button is not flashing anymore.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
ROwen2
New Contributor I

I am going to try linux-firmware

0 Kudos
wface
Beginner

I don't see how any of the various linux-firmware packages could relate here. However, nothing ventured and all that.

No errors, the firmware file is in it's proper place. From what you've described, it should be working. I'm baffled.

Uhhmm wicd? Maybe? Dunno. Brain... is.... melting... Oh! what a world! What a world!

0 Kudos
ROwen2
New Contributor I

Check this out:

modinfo iwlwifi

filename: /lib/modules/3.11.0-rc1/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwlwifi.ko

license: GPL

author: Copyright(c) 2003-2013 Intel Corporation <</span>mailto:ilw@linux.intel.com ilw@linux.intel.com>

version: in-tree:

description: Intel(R) Wireless WiFi driver for Linux

firmware: iwlwifi-100-5.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-1000-5.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-135-6.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-105-6.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-2030-6.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-2000-6.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-5150-2.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-5000-5.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-6000g2b-6.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-6000g2a-5.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-6050-5.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-6000-4.ucode

the 7260 firmware is not associated with iwlwifi.

0 Kudos
ROwen2
New Contributor I

This fixed it:

#

# Debugging Options

#

CONFIG_IWLWIFI_DEBUG=y

CONFIG_IWLWIFI_DEBUGFS=y

CONFIG_IWLWIFI_DEBUG_EXPERIMENTAL_UCODE=y

CONFIG_IWLWIFI_DEVICE_TRACING=y

CONFIG_IWLWIFI_P2P=y

CONFIG_IWLEGACY=m

CONFIG_IWL4965=m

CONFIG_IWL3945=m

Also, as for the nvidia-bug...

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/549532/linux-3-10-incompatibility-in-function-lsquo-nv_i2c_del_adapter-rsquo-error-void-value-not-igno/ https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/549532/linux-3-10-incompatibility-in-function-lsquo-nv_i2c_del_adapter-rsquo-error-void-value-not-igno/

Try Nvidia-325. Working on my laptop with linux-3.11-rc1 and bumblebee 3.2.1.

0 Kudos
wface
Beginner

@ryanvade What are you using to edit the .ko object code files? My gedit and nano are both displaying them incorrectly.

0 Kudos
ROwen2
New Contributor I

@warfacegod

I didn't. I used modinfo to see if the iwlwifi module was using the new firmware, which it wasn't. After making the above changes (around 7 posts ago) to the 3.11-rc1 kernel configuration the module started using the firmware. I suppose that the newer firmware is still considered experimental so you have to explicitly say to use experimental firmware. After building the kernel with the changes I now get this...

$ modinfo iwlwifi

filename: /lib/modules/3.11.0-rc1/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwlwifi.ko

license: GPL

author: Copyright(c) 2003-2013 Intel Corporation <</span>mailto:ilw@linux.intel.com ilw@linux.intel.com>

version: in-tree:d

description: Intel(R) Wireless WiFi driver for Linux

firmware: iwlwifi-100-5.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-1000-5.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-135-6.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-105-6.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-2030-6.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-2000-6.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-5150-2.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-5000-5.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-6000g2b-6.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-6000g2a-5.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-6050-5.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-6000-4.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-3160-7.ucode

firmware: iwlwifi-7260-7.ucode

srcversion: 8D22459AE64431AADA3B30D

I am mad though. Windows is getting around 300 Mb/s. While Linux hasn't gotten more then 150 Mb/s. I am glad it works but come on. Powersaving is off, I am a few feet from the router. Netgear R6300 V2. Why so slow?

0 Kudos
wface
Beginner

Ah, that explains it. I thought that would be the case but was hoping to find a way read these .ko files properly. I tried doing that but now with the 3.9 kernel. Although, I didn't have to set those options with wireless-testing. Figured since 3.10 and 11 have that nVidia bug thing, I'd try one I know will run nVidia. Refuses to compile. Error code 2 which was supposed to have been fixed in 3.2 I've pretty much given up. I've gone the route of asking damentz, the Liquorix guy, to compile the new 7000.c into his next update.

Barring that, may try and get the nVidia drivers running under 3.11.

I got 300Mb/s with the wireless-testing kernel almost continuously. Never went higher but I never gave it a reason to. I've an ASUS RT-AC66U router. At least with that one you need to have the 5 GHz signal set to 80 MHz channel only. No 20/40. I suspect it's the same for all routers. Did you change your antenna when you put the new card in? My understanding is that many antennas are capable of utilizing a 5 GHz signal but most can't use full ac speeds. I suspect mine can't. Might explain why I never saw the 866 Mb/s the ac7260 should be able to do.

I also tend to use ~15 feet as a default distance for testing wireless. With wireless, there is such a thing as too close and your "few feet" sounds like it might be just that.

0 Kudos
TKjel
Beginner

One more thing for those compiling a kernel with support for this card.

You also need:

CONFIG_IWLMVM=m

By default CONFIG_IWLDVM is set to m... which is incorrect. Only CONFIG_IWLMVM=m should be present.

7260 works great in Linux, although I am not getting great uplink speeds.

0 Kudos
DBoul1
Novice

This is supposed to be released Q2'13. Doesn't Intel's fiscal year end Dec 28? Quarter 1 ended March 30th 2013. So shouldn't Q2 end June 30th 2013? And if so...if it's supposed to be released during Q2, then isn't the release technically late?

Sorry, development is a hard gig. I understand that there can be unforeseen delays. There are also some things you must get right even before releasing test drivers. I'd just rather not loose patience and buy any one of the wireless AC usb devices.

0 Kudos
BHart4
Novice

It's been a month since the Windows 8 driver was released and still no Windows 7 driver.

Since I'm mostly a Windows 7 user and only occasionally dabble in Windows 8 I'll be returning my AC-7260 on Monday.

Sorry Intel,you need to service paying customers and not Microsoft's greed.

I really wanted a 3 antenna card without bluetooth anyway.

Back to the great Bigfoot Networks Killer 1103.

ESavi
Beginner

This needs to be resolved. Like yesterday. Just so angry right now. Who uses Windows 8, likes it, and actually knows what a driver is and cares to update it? This is so amazingly rage inducing because I literally could fill a ruffles bag full of these chips. I just might. Better usage as food.

As the first line in the NETwFw.dat file says *WESTOPFORNOONE*

Really, look at the file in the latest driver release.. First line. Can't make that claim with no W7 driver. Tell them to start again.

BBrad4
Novice

I had to upgrade a company notebook to Windows 7 from Win8. Win8 was unusable and the user flatly rejected it and asked for their 10 year old notebook with XP back. I've been instructed than any new computer purchase must be upgraded to Windows 7. I know Microsoft is heavily invested in the Win8 mistake but I would hope that Intel would at least have a beta driver for an OS that people use like Windows 7. When can I expect a Windows 7 beta driver or a final?

ROwen2
New Contributor I

Has no one heard from an Intel rep?

0 Kudos
ESavi
Beginner

Heh, does this surprise you?

0 Kudos
ROwen2
New Contributor I

No, this does not surprise me. But Intel did say win 7 drivers would be available by now. I wonder what is going on?

0 Kudos
wface
Beginner

Technically, they didn't. They said the ac7260 itself would be available for Q2. They never actually claimed anything about 7 drivers being ready anymore precisely than "soon".

Now that I'm done playing devil's advocate, I will say that this is a joke. Ignore, for the moment, that I utterly despise Windows and everything MS stands for and refuse to use any of their products. Manufacturers announcing a product will be ready, by a certain point, implies that the product will have drivers to go along with it. The fact that Intel has left over 50% of Windows users in the lurch with this is completely unacceptable. That they're marketing the ac7260 as OEM is even worse. Not only is Intel essentially telling the consumer to get bent, they're also telling manufacturers the same thing. Not even ASUS (my favorite hardware company), who are notorious for releasing products with buggy, half baked, and occasionally useless firmware and drivers, ever pulled a stunt like this, as far as I know. No driver at all. Totally absurd!

0 Kudos
DElli7
Beginner

I have a Toshiba 3rd gen I7 processor with Win 8 pro. I was able to download and install the proper driver for the Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and it works like a champ.

However, I do not know how to get the Bluetooth function to work.

I've attempted to execute the bluetooth file 2.6.1212 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22572 Download Center, however, it appears that the Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 is NOT compatible with this software. I also try to load in a standard Bluetooth 4.0 driver; however the hardware CANNOT be found. I have gone to the Toshiba OEM site to download Bluetooth drivers and software; however, they are NOT able to read the hardware.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
ROwen2
New Contributor I

From what has been said before, Win 8 has generic Bluetooth drivers that work with the card. You have to use them.

0 Kudos