Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

Intel AC 3165 - bad card or loose connectors?

SG18
Beginner

I have a Dell laptop with Intel Dual band wireless AC 3165 network card where the bluetooth works but the wifi adapter does not.

I've opened up the laptop. Reseating the card and pressing on the some of the connectors sometimes fixes it but then after a while it stops working again.The issue persists in windows and linux. Also, in the BIOS system information, bluetooth is detected but wifi is shown as not installed. My conclusion is that it is not a software/driver issue.

Any suggestions of what could be going wrong? Would buying a new card help or could it also be a connection issue? If there is some problem in the antenna cables, could the system report the wifi as not being installed?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You conclusion is premature.  Could also be the dell motherboard and/or the bios that is faulty.  

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
SG18
Beginner

Thank you for the reply and for pointing out this possibility. It's a 7 year old laptop - so motherboard issues or bad cables are quite likely. Maybe the wireless card itself is ok.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I have a 6-year old dell laptop, and I have had the motherboard replaced twice.

Dell happens.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos