Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel AC 9260 Bluetooth fails after restart!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an AC 9260 installed and WiFi works well but there is an issue with Bluetooth.

The WiFi Driver is version 22.90.0.5 and Bluetooth is version 22.90.0.4, both updated through Intel Driver & Support Assistant verion 21.7.50.3.

I have Intel Wireless Bluetooth software installed version 22.90.2.1.

I am running Windows 10 Pro Version 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1415 so you can see that everything is at the latest level.

The problem with Bluetooth occurs when I restart or shut down/reboot my laptop.

When I select the option to start Bluetooth, it fails and the Bluetooth device status in Device Manager states that "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

An Error is created in the Event Viewer, Event ID 17 is created for Source BTHUSB and states that "The local Bluetooth adapter has failed in an undetermined manner and will not be used. The driver has been unloaded." (picture WIFI_BT 3 attached)

When I checked the Event Viewer, I also noticed a Warning, Event ID 3 for source BTHUSB and states that "A command sent to the adapter has timed out. The adapter did not respond." (picture WIFI_BT Event 3 attached.)

If I run the Repair optin on the Intel Wireless Bluetooth software, it correct the problem and everything is back to normal.

Only when I then restart or shut down/reboot my laptop and start Bluetooth does the problem happen again.

Any suggestions/information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I can only suggest that you do a clean install of the Wireless drivers. Here is the process:

1. If you haven't already, download - but do not install just yet - the latest Bluetooth and WiFi drivers for your adapter. Here are links to these  drivers: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351/windows-10-wi-fi-drivers-for-intel-wireless-a... and https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18649/intel-wireless-bluetooth-for-windows-10.html. 
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable.
  3. From the Apps & Features applet, check for instances of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. If none, skip to Step 6.
  4. Uninstall each instance of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth that is present. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings".
  5. Manually reboot your computer, keeping Internet access disabled throughout.
  6. From the Device Manager applet, check the Network Adapters section for an entry for Intel Wireless-AC 9260 and check the Bluetooth section for an entry for Intel Wireless Bluetooth that has an intel driver associated with it. If neither is the case, go to Step 10.
  7. Right click on the entry for Intel Wireless-AC 9260 and uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  8. Right click on the entry for Intel Wireless Bluetooth and open its properties. If it has an Intel driver associated with it, then uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  9. Go to Step 5.
  10. (Optional but recommended) Clean out all temporary files using the Windows Clean Disk tool. Ensure you have enabled cleaning of System Files. I recommend that you then checkmark all categories offered, even if no files currently in this category (so it leaves it set up for next invocation). (Optional but recommended) Clear each of your browsers' cache.
  11. Install the Bluetooth driver package (my rule: always do Bluetooth first).
  12. Install the Wireless driver package.
  13. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  14. Enable Internet access.
  15. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just re-installed the Dell 1820A WiFi/Bluetooth card to check if it worked okay and it works fine, no problems with Bluetooth failing after restarting.

In my opionion this implies that the problem is to do with the Intel drivers or how my current version of Windows handles the Intel Bluetooth functionality.

I will wait now until after New Year and I will remove the Dell card and install my Intel AC 9260 card, following your instructions, and see if it works or not.

I will let you know the outcome once I have completed this process.

Many thanks for replying to my query and providing in-depth information which will hopefully resolve my issue.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

One question I have is based on something I read on another post about a clean install of drivers.

Should I check with my laptop manufacturer, Dell, to see if there are any WiFi or Bluetooth drivers and if there are, should they be installed before installing any Intel drivers?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just wanted to let you know that I have followed your instructions but without success.

I spent several days trying numerous permutations of driver installs but the end result was still the same... when I turn Bluetooth on, Windows stops the device because it has reported problems. (Code 43).

I even followed the links you gave me for the latest drivers for both Bluetooth and WiFi and found newer versions, 22.100 for both and installed them but no success.

Event ID 17 and 2 x Event 3s as detailed above, are created for Source BTHUSB as usual.

If I run the Repair option on the Intel Wireless Bluetooth software, it corrects the problem and I can use Bluetooth as normal.

The problem arises again when I shut down/reboot or restart my laptop and switch Bluetooth on.

There is obviously an issue with the Intel driver and Windows when Bluetooth is started as once it works okay, then transferring files both ways is no problem.

So I reckon I shall just have to live with having to run the repair option until a Windows or Intel update miraculously fixes the problem as Windows updates are know to do!

Many thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a reply from the Dell community and they suggested something that I wanted to share with you and get your opinion.

They said that when I was uninstalling the WiFi and BT devices in Device Manager that I uninstall any kind of WiFi and Bluetooth adapter you see in your device manager (don't forget to tick "Show hidden devices" in Device Manager, you'll find it listed under "View"), reboot and reinstall again.

Do you think that I should try uninstalling hidden devices and would this maybe help fix the problem?

I look forward to your reply, thanks.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, there were some cases where Dell shipped customized versions of the Intel Wireless adapters, so the answer is yes, you should be checking with Dell (or at least looking on their site for updates). 

Now, that said, if there are drivers on the Dell site and you install them, you should avoid using the driver packages on the Intel site unless Dell specifically tells you that this will be ok.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is one Dell driver update for my AC 9260, Dell Update Package: Intel AX200/AX201/9260/9560/9462/8265/8260/7265/3165 Bluetooth UWD Driver, 21.70.0.3, A17, which was released on 17th March 2020 and it says:

"After you install this package, the Intel AX200, AX201, 9260, 9560, 9462, 8265, and 8260 Bluetooth driver version in Device Manager is v21.70.0.3."

The latest Intel driver for Bluetooth was released on 15th November 2021 and it says:

"Driver version 22.90.0.4: For Windows 10 64-bit or Windows 11 using AX210, AX200, 9560, 9462, 9461, 9260, 8260, 18260, 8265, 18265."

I have attached the release notes for the latest Intel update so if you could have a look at them and let me know what you think I should install for the best solution.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also wanted to mention that once your warranty has expired on your laptop, which mine has, you cannot log a Technical Support request with Dell to get someone to say that using Intel drivers would be okay or not, so it is up to technical experts on the Intel or Dell communities to provide any help and that's where I hope you can help as I have not had any response from the Dell community.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Vale46,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

· Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html

· Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

· To save your scan, click Next and click Save.  

2. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed on your computer or did you change/install the adapter to this one?  

3. When did the issues start?

4. Did you notice the issue after a system update? 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have now run the SSU and attached the Detailed View file.

To answer your questions:

2) No, it came with a Dell DW1820a BT/WiFi card and it works okay without any issues.

3) Can't remember.

4) It may have been after a Windows update as there are always Windows updates being installed.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Vale46,  

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should have noticed that after the post from n_scott_pearson that I said I would carry out his instructions in the New Year and update him on the outcome.

As you can see, I have not updated him as I have not carried out this yet.

DeividA_Intel

Hello Vale46, 

I would like to let you know that if you install a wireless adapter in a laptop, it may not perform properly since the BIOS may not support or be compatible with the adapter. I recommend you to check with DELL to confirm if the Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 is supported by the Dell XPS 13 9350.

However, in order to help you further, please try the following:

1. Clean installation of the Bluetooth driver:

2. Clean installation of the Wi-Fi driver:

Steps for the clean install process:

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

You really aren't reading all the replies in this post, are you !

You will see in the reply from n_scott_pearson that he provides full instructions on how to carry out a clean installation of drivers!

You will also see that I have replied to this and it did not resolve the problem.

You will also see that I replied to YOUR post and attached the SSU detailed file you requested so it would be a good idea if you read ALL the posts and replies before making any pointless suggestions that have already been tried !!!

I am also extremely surprised that an Intel Support Technician doesn't know if one of their products is supported by a manufacturer's product!

Your support replies are sounding more like Microsoft every day and that isn't good.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have confirmed from the Dell community that the Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 is supported by the Dell XPS 13 9350 and there was a Bluetooth Driver update released on 17th March 2020, https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-au/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=c6c99&oscode=wt64a&productcode=xps-13-9350-laptop 

There is a previous version of this driver released on 10th July 2019 and as the AC 9260 was released well before that date, it confirms that Dell have been supporting this card for many years and I am surprised that you are not aware of this!

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Vale46, 

I am sorry for the inconvenience with the responses. Allow me to check this issue internally and as soon as I have any information for you I will let you know.

Thanks for your comprehension.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a reply from the Dell community and they suggested something that I wanted to share with you and get your opinion.

They said that when I was uninstalling the WiFi and BT devices in Device Manager that I uninstall any kind of WiFi and Bluetooth adapter you see in your device manager (don't forget to tick "Show hidden devices" in Device Manager, you'll find it listed under "View"), reboot and reinstall again.

Do you think that I should try uninstalling hidden devices and would this maybe help fix the problem?

I look forward to your reply, thanks.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You just reminded me of the fact that, when I had this problem myself (about a year or so ago), I did this as well as part of my (albeit haphazard) process for alleviating the issue. How quickly the mind forgets the nastiness of some of these issues.

I would (thus) recommend that you also do so. In my case, I had previously installed the software/driver package for a BT dongle and it took clearing everything out manually before I got it to install the Intel drivers and work cleanly.

...S

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reassurance, I will do that and let you know how it goes.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I followed your instructions about uninstalling hidden devices along with the normal ones but unfortunately that solution didn't work.

So I will live with this issue until a windows or intel update mysteriously fixes the problem!

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

0 Kudos