Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Intel centrino wireless-n 2230 keeps dropping connection.

idata
Employee

Hi I've been looking through some of the threads but i cant really find an answer to my issue.

I recently got my self a Dell Inspiron 17R SE and it comes with the Intel Centrino wireless-n 2230.

I cant really do much stuff on the internet or play online games as the internet keeps dropping out.

I have updated the driver and still nothing. I really don't know what else to do any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

some more information. I know its not the internet as my family can use there laptops/Games consoles without any internet issues.

256 Replies
ANage1
Novice

I too got the similar problem with my laptop with the same card as in the discussion. My computer is useless because of this hardware problem. Even DELL is acknowledging that there is an issue with that card and I have argued with the customer care executive to replace the card with better AMD cards , should the motherboard accept it. Its really frustrating that every now and then my laptop keeps dropping connection.Updated drivers,restarted machine .Nothing happens. Same issue.

Note: While typing this reply, I was disconnected two times. :@

TLind7
Novice

Same thing here on a brand new Lenovo E531.

Looking at logs in my wifi router, I've been able to correlate every single disconnect to when the router does a CCMP group key rotation or TKIP group key rotation. It doesn't happen every time that happens on the router, but every disconnect is directly correlated to an event of that type.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Can you force the laptop and the router to use AES (CCMP) only?

0 Kudos
ADiep
Beginner

Same problem here with a brand new toshiba sattelite u940x!!! Please advice how to proceed.

Latest available driver set 15.8.0.5. It is driving me crazy and spoiling my mood heavily!

ANage1
Novice

I tried setting of "AES" only encryption on the router side instead of TKIP. Still same issue.

Got my network card replaced by DELL. Thats the perfect solution.

0 Kudos
TLind7
Novice

Tried AES only, same problem.

Tried Unencrypted, no problem during the 24 hours I tried it.

Wondering if it's worth testing to turn off n-mode and only run on g. For now I just want a stable connection. Full speed can come later.

0 Kudos
TLind7
Novice

Deactivating 802.11n mode and only running on 802.11g seems to help.

No dropouts so far.

Odd for an n adapter to not be able to stay stable on n...

0 Kudos
JSlad
Beginner

I too am having this problem. Just bought an HP Envy 17 with the Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 installed and my wireless internet connection constantly drops for no reason. It happens more frequently when downloading files, but still happens regardless. I am not sure how to fix this problem. I have talked to HP reps and they had me uninstall/reinstall the driver, turn off the option for the computer to turn off the wireless to save power, etc but nothing works. Please help me find a solution!! Very frustrated.

0 Kudos
ANage1
Novice

I had a DELL machine.. I also underwent driver update , router settings , turn Off/On PC etc. No use. It was frustrating. Finally DELL replaced the card and installed a different upgraded one. It looks like Intel is defensive in admitting that the card is faulty. Talk to HP and get your card replaced. Better return the laptop incase you got return period and dont buy laptop with the same card again

0 Kudos
HSuha
Beginner

I have a new Lenovo U-410 with all the same issues that everyone else is having.with the N-2230. I have the latest drivers & since day one it has a very weak signal, many times not being able to connect and dropping connection constantly! NEVER have had this happen with any of the other wi-fi capable products we own. All others have strong signals, never dropped, never a complaint about the wi-fi. There is no problem with my router, it works fine with all of our other products & I am not going mess with it. The problem is with the N-2230! This is so frustrating! Please find the problem and correct it. From what I see this has been going on far too long to not be addressed and admit there is a major problem with the N-2230.

SM14
Beginner

Have the same problem on my new Dell Inspiron 17R, it drives me nuts!

Connection drops for a few seconds every several minutes or so. When I ping my router I often see timeouts.

I am using the latest driver v15.8.0.5, AES WEP-2, router is Linksys X3000.

I tried turning wireless power management off, tried different channels, tried lots of other settings - nothing helps.

When I disable 802.11n, connection becomes more stable, but still drops from time to time.

Here is how it looks in the Wireless Event Viewer:

1,S24EvMon,07/20/2013 12:06:44,Success,Driver,SYSTEM,RxAssocResp (my MAC here) 6 -45

2,S24EvMon,07/20/2013 12:06:44,Success,Driver,SYSTEM,RxAuthSuccess (my MAC here) 6

3,ZCfgSvc,07/20/2013 12:06:44,Information,Security,SYSTEM,Authenticating Wireless Profile: dop 2

4,S24EvMon,07/20/2013 12:06:44,Information,Driver,SYSTEM,ATC (my MAC here) dop 6 RSSI=-42

5,S24EvMon,07/20/2013 12:06:44,Information,Driver,SYSTEM,AddToExclude (my MAC here) dop 6 WEV_EXCLUDE_LIST_REASON_802_11_AUTH_FAILURE

0 Kudos
JChan97
Beginner

It has been a whole month since the last updated software and yet the issue still persists? I am now questioning the software engineering capability of Intel. It is obviously not a hardware issue, unless Intel provides their own WIFI card with manufacturer defects/prototypes in order to experiment on us consumers. The problem is really common across various brands/models that use the same WIFI card. This is unacceptable.

HT1
Novice

I can confirm that even newer PCs(ENVY 15 and ENVY 17) still has this problem and no drivers fixes the problems and neither does the countless suggestions by Intels troubleshooting.

Tell us if it is hardware or software problems at least, I have never had my Netflix stream make me feel like I am on a dial up connection it's so choppy a Youtube 360p video can't load when connected to a 200mbit/s line

0 Kudos
SM14
Beginner

Seems like the issue is with the Intel driver for Windows 8.

I have two Dell laptops - an old one with Centrino 6205 wifi adapter and Windows 7, and a new one with Centrino 2230 and Windows 8.

Yesterday I swapped wifi adapters on these laptops and guess what? 2230 wifi card works perfectly well on Windows 7 with the latest drivers from Intel!

However, with 6205 on Windows 8 I got the same problems - frequent timeouts and disconnections.

A few hours ago I uninstalled all Intel drivers and PROSet software from my Windows 8 laptop and rolled back to Microsoft driver (as described in the last post /thread/32899?start=15&tstart=0 in this thread). Seems like it helped - there hasn't been a single connection drop or timeout.

So I guess the solution to this problem is not to use Intel drivers until Intel fixes them.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

We are still reviewing your input through the https://supportmail.intel.com/scripts-emf/welcome.aspx?id=1783 e-mail form and we are working to get a fix out as soon as possible.

0 Kudos
TLind7
Novice

I hope you really are looking through that...

I submitted info through that form and after a few days I only got a mail basically saying I should contact Lenovo for support.

To re-iterate:

802.11g works

802.11n stops working at random when there is a CCMP key rotation on the wireless router.

WPA2 AES is in use.

Windows 7 x64, latest drivers, etc.

GL
Beginner

Yes this guy is right. First off i want to say " dude intel wth you guys xxxx". Second, again yes Nekonyan is right and a genius thank you. Disabling the 802. whatever n corrects the drop outs problem. And this is not a windows 8 only problem bc im on 7. Intel I'm out.

0 Kudos
NPapa2
Beginner

I experienced the same problem too (frequent connection drop), with Intel wifi 2230 on an Alienware m17x R4. My OS is Windows 8 64 bit.

The solution for me was exactly what bjbakker proposed in the 1st page. Just uninstalled any Intel wifi software from add/remove programs first and then kept uninstalling Intel drivers from Device manager until I reached the driver provided by Microsoft (14.8.8.75).

Since then (a week ago) I have not experienced a single connection drop again.

I personally believe that this issue has definitely to do with Intel drivers and not with the hardware itself.

TLind7
Novice

Wireless ProSet 16.1.1 downloaded and installed...

Driver version 15.9.0.5

Problem still there.

Just wanted to update with that...

0 Kudos
kbern1
Beginner

Same problem wit my Asus zenbook UX32A.

Tried all kind of things, nothing seems to help.

Most of the time I cannot connect (tried diffrent SSID settings, even from other people). But I network chip always finds the SSID, It just fails to connect....

Using Windows 7 64 bit

0 Kudos
MMahe5
Beginner

Same issue Dell Inspiron 15z with 2230 card and Windows 8. I have iPads and laptop tops which can connect fine to the wireless router from two floors away. This machine is on top of the wireless and the signal is strong but it is unable to ping the router.

I rolled the driver back to 15.5.6.48 from the 15.8.x driver and its much better. Time will tell if it fixes it.

Mick

0 Kudos