Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Slow Wi-Fi Download and Upload Speed on Laptop - Intel Wireless Dual Band Adapter 8265

ShiDra
Novice

Good day!

I've been having trouble with the Wi-Fi on my laptop (ASUS VivoBook X512DA), I thought at first it was a problem with my internet carrier, but after calling and getting maintenance on the Wi-Fi (40MBs), everything seemed the same. On other devices however, the internet speed was back to about 30MBs, as it was intended, but my laptop keeps getting speeds of around 8MBs. I have both 2.4GHz and 5GHz internet, and unfortunately I get the same result on both. This is when I thought the problem might be the Wi-Fi Adapter. 

Another issue I was struggling with was that whenever I started my computer no networks seemed to appear at all, so I have to restart my laptop until they come back, reinstalling the drivers seems to have worked, but sometimes the issue happens again.

After researching a bit online, I tried several different solutions, I have:

• Deleted the driver and reinstalled it
  • Updated the driver and downloaded a new one
  • Changed the router settings such as QoS, the wireless mode, and the wireless channels
  • Moving the router closer to me

None of these solutions have worked for me unfortunately. So I've been considering buying a new adapter. At the moment I'm a bit short on budget, so I've been hoping to find another solution online to fix this. In case I DO have to replace the Adapter, is it possible to do it on this Laptop? And what kind of adapter should it need? I'm currently working at home so this has been certainly a problem I'm struggling with.

I'm attaching the Speedtest (5GHz) as well as my Command Prompt Interface screenshots!

Thank you so much beforehand!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I like to be more explicit in defining the process for doing a clean install of the Wireless support. Here is this process:

1. If you haven't already, download - but do not install just yet - the latest Bluetooth and WiFi drivers for your adapter. Here are the current links for downloading these drivers: Wireless: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351 and Bluetooth: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18649
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable.
  3. From the Apps & Features applet, check for instances of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. If none, skip to Step 6.
  4. Uninstall each instance of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth that is present. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings".
  5. Manually reboot your computer, keeping Internet access disabled throughout.
  6. From the Device Manager applet, check the Network Adapters section for an entry for Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 and check the Bluetooth section for an entry for Intel Wireless Bluetooth that has an intel driver associated with it. If neither is the case, go to Step 10.
  7. Right click on the entry for Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 and uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  8. Right click on the entry for Intel Wireless Bluetooth and open its properties. If it has an Intel driver associated with it, then uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  9. Go to Step 5.
  10. (Optional but recommended) Clean out all temporary files using the Windows Clean Disk tool. Ensure you have enabled cleaning of System Files. I recommend that you then checkmark all categories offered, even if no files currently in this category (so it leaves it set up for next invocation). (Optional but recommended) Clear each of your browsers' cache.
  11. Install the Bluetooth driver package (my rule: always do Bluetooth first).
  12. Install the Wireless driver package.
  13. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  14. Enable Internet access.
  15. Test.

If this doesn't do the trick, please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows. Select *all* data categories and then have it generate a report. Next, have the tool Save the report to a text file (don't try to use the Submit capability; it doesn't work). Finally, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog (below the edit box for the body of your response post), upload and attach this text file to the response post.

Hope this helps,

...S

ShiDra
Novice

Hello, thank you so much for the swift response!

I tried all the steps you provided me with, but nothing seemed to do the trick unfortunately. The internet still caps at 8MBs, I even tried testing the Wi-Fi speed from other place (400MBs), but it sticks to the same 8MBs.

I am attaching the results from the SSU!

Thank you very much in advance.

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello ShiDra

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. From the report provided we noticed you're using a BIOS version from 2019, ASUS provides a couple newer versions on their website but please contact them for BIOS update instructions. Please also update your Windows version, test the networks again and let us know if the issue persists. 

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

ShiDra
Novice

Good afternoon David. I appreciate your response.

I have updated my BIOS using the ASUS instructions, and my Windows is now up to date. Sadly the problem seems to persist, the Wi-Fi still caps at 8MBs.

I attach an updated version of the SSU, in case there's something different in there!

Thanks again beforehand.

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Thank you for the report, let me investigate and I will post the updates on the thread.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
ShiDra
Novice

Thank you very much David.

Hope we can get a solution soon.

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello @ShiDra

Please try the following:

1. Press Windows Key + R and enter “services.msc” followed by the ENTER key.
    1. Find “WLAN AutoConfig” in the list of services, right-click it and select Properties.
    2. Press Start & change the startup type to "Automatic".
    3. Restart your computer

Finally, to answer your question "In case I DO have to replace the Adapter, is it possible to do it on this Laptop? And what kind of adapter should it need?", this information should be confirmed by the motherboard/laptop manufacturer. The OEM can help you confirm if the wireless card can be replaced and which models are compatible, for more information please visit: Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
MrNavi
Beginner

Hi @ShiDra , I had a similar issue with AC 7265. (At the moment I on the way to create a my ticket.)

In the my case helped Disable Bluetooth in the Device manager. Please try this very simple action!

0 Kudos
ShiDra
Novice

@David_G_Intel I apologize for the late reply, thank you for your response! I did as told but unfortunately my wireless adapter seems to be the problem directly, I have ordered a new piece and will look to replace it and see how it goes. I'll send updates after I replace the part to see if that was the final issue. 

I appreciate your help until now!

Hi @MrNavi ! I also tried your suggestion but it didn't seem to do the trick either, I hope that replacing the part will finally fix this issue!

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Thank you for the update, as a friendly reminder if you plan on changing the wireless adapter it's better to contact the laptop OEM to confirm compatibility and get replacement instructions.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
ShiDra
Novice

Good day! I got the replacement part for my PC and fixed it yesterday! 

Since then my PC seems to be working just fine and the internet is back to normal. Rebooting now shows the wireless connections even at startup, without needing to restart more than once for them to appear.

I attach one last SSU Scan with the new installed part in case there's something different.

Thank you very much for all your previous help, I genuinely appreciate it!

0 Kudos