cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grocerylist
Novice

Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz -2.4GHz & 5GHz: connected, no internet access

Jump to solution

I've been experiencing wifi issues with my manufacturer installed ax200 wifi card essentially since I got my new Asus Zephyrus G14. Problems initially were fairly intermittent on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz but occasionally I have extended outages. Since then I'd read in some forums to try to use the intel drivers direct from intel, rather than the Asus recommended drivers.

I've gone through a few different wifi drivers (asus recommended driver v21.60.0.5, I'm currently using v21.90.3.2.

With 21.90.3.2, it seems like 2.4GHz is fairly stable but 5GHz is essentially unusable. I'm able to connect to 5GHz but almost immediately when connected it shows "no internet access".

I've tried updating to v21.110.1.1 but this driver fails to install.

58 Replies
derekmski
Novice
Router on latest firmware, bios on motherboard latest, Windows updated all drivers updated.
Vegan
New Contributor I

At 5 GHz and above the signal propagation through walls is poor. The 2.4 GHz band does much better but it is not as fast.

If you need max performance, you probably be best off with cat7 cable to the access point

derekmski
Novice
Router is on same floor, no walls in between. This is not the problem, I know how wireless works. I am just making aware the issues with the desktop pcie wireless cards using the ax200 chipset in case anyone else has similar problems they are not alone.
derekmski
Novice

Attached screenshots of the TP-Link AC1300 USB adapter I am using on my desktop for the time being until I can try an AC1900 PCIe card.  USB adapters should be slower than PCIe cards with external antennas.  Yet the USB adapter is getting 269/22 and the PCIe AX200 card is getting 15/11.  I'm not messing around with this Desktop PCIe AX200 card anymore.  I already ordered an AC1900 PCIe card to see if that is better for now.

Vegan
New Contributor I

I have extended antennas with long cables to get a better signal. This allows better line of sight placement.

TiagoJG
Novice

To fix this internet issue, please do as follows:

Win+X -> device manager -> network adapters -> right mouse click on the ax200 adapter -> properties -> advanced -> go to 802.11n/ac/ax Wireless Mode and pick Value: 802.11n

For some reason these drivers won't work properly with ac or ax on my computer. For the one with the same problem as me please test this. 

LeoIT
Novice

Do we have solution for not working 5ghz properly?

I am getting under 1mbps when using 5ghz with my Intel AX200 wifi card on my desktop. 

I have Netgear CAX80 and for some reason only 2.4ghz works with this card. Tried old and new drivers.

TiagoJG
Novice

Have you tried my solution? It worked for me. Regards

LeoIT
Novice

I meant do we have a solution to use 5ghz, but yes your hack works but I am only getting around 40mbps on my desktop.

2.4ghz is around 150mbps

I have 400MB plan from Spectrum. 

My phone using 5ghz getting 300mbps+ from Speedtest.

TiagoJG
Novice

5GHz doesn't penetrate through walls as well as 2.4 GHz, are you close to your router?

LeoIT
Novice

Yeah very close like 10 ft

TiagoJG
Novice

Try to turn the computer's wifi off and on, restart the computer, reinstall drivers.
Sometimes when I use VPN from the university and then stop using it, I only get 50 mbps, I have to turn the wifi off and on.

TremorRZ
Beginner

No offense but i'm thinking he tried already to turn it off and then on.......

I made an account specifically on intel just to post this. I also have had the same exact problem with the AX200 wifi and find it to be a really crappy piece of hardware. I don't have an asus laptop, a spectre. 

The first step toward overcoming a problem is admitting that it exists. This problem exists, and it is yours to deal with intel. Incredibly frustrating seeing that you didn't know the problem existed. I wonder how many other companies have had to spend $$$ tech supporting this disaster before intel would help. Ugh.

Vegan
New Contributor I

Until i got better antennas I used to curse wireless, now that I have better understanding of RF propagation I have found antennas with an extension cable make a world of difference

metal blocks 2.4 GHz and above 

TiagoJG
Novice
I am not with intel. I just happen to post a temporary solution until drivers are available. The problem is not hardware, the problem is Windows. With linux you dont have problems. Also, I said to turn off and on the wifi because sometimes using vpn or other services may mess with the maximum bandwidth. My solution still applies, go to network adapters and pick the 802.11n value.
Vegan
New Contributor I

My new antenna improved bluetooth as well and now my headset works 100x better. It's eye opening what better antennas can do.

My antenna cost $18 but now that I have it I am happy. Drivers are stable and I have not seen issues lately.

wifiax200broken
Beginner

Hi,

I'm having the same issue with my intel(r) wi-fi 6 ax200 160mhz but with the new ASUS PN50. I've tried installing the default ASUS drivers and also the new WiFi_22.30.0_Driver64_Win10 but it's not working. Though I have no issues connecting with two mobile phones and a laptop to the Netgear NightHawk 2 mobile router.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Note that the solution from: TiagoJG does appear to work:
My solution still applies, go to network adapters and pick the 802.11n value. 

Will this hamper the bandwidth speed and is there a proper solution as I imagine the above may have some implications?

TiagoJG
Novice

There is a drawback yes. I think your bandwidth caps to around 400 Mbps (confirm this), if you have a service that provides more than that, I would suggest that you either install Linux parallel to windows, and wait for windows to update their drivers, or buy a wifi antenna.

Best,

Tiago 

Vegan
New Contributor I